Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Desserts
ISO Sufganiyot recipe

cbs880

Post Tue, Dec 20 2016, 10:32 am
I need your help!
Bumped into my downstairs unaffiliated Jewish neighbors. Invited them for a chanukah party next week. Dont have decent sufganiyot in the bakeries where I live. And I dont have a good recipe either.
But really want to impress them..hoping sufganiyot will do the trick.
please post your best most successful recipe!

TIA!!

besty

Post Tue, Dec 20 2016, 12:31 pm
simchaspot.com had one of there videos a recipe........

challahchallah

Post Tue, Dec 20 2016, 12:44 pm
This is my tried and true, no fail recipe. For parties I'll make the dough ahead of time and then fry while people are there. I also like to mix up the filling, some with Nutella others with sweetened ricotta as well as the traditional jam.

2 T dry yeast
3 1/2 T sugar
3/4 cup lukewarm milk
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 egg yolks
pinch of salt
pinch of cinnamon
1 1/2 T softened margarine or butter
Jam (if you want)
Vegetable oil for frying
Sugar for rolling sufganiyot in

1. Dissolve the yeast and 2 tablespoons of sugar in the milk.

2. Sift the flour (I don't usually bother). Place it on a board and make a well in the center. Add the yeast mixture, the egg yolks, salt, cinnamon, and the remaining sugar. Knead well. Add the margarine and knead until the dough is elastic.

3. Cover and let rise 2 hours.

4. Sprinkle flour on the board. Roll the dough out thin. Cut out with a glass into rounds about 2" in diameter. Cover and let rise 15 minutes more.

5. Pour 2 inches of oil into a heavy pot and heat to 375. (It helps to have a candy thermometer).

6. Drop doughnuts in the oil, 5-5 at a time turning when brown. (This happens very quickly in my experience. Drain on paper towels.

7. If you are filling with jam, insert a tiny spoon into the sufiganiyot, revolve it, and then remove spoon from same opening.

8. Roll in granulated sugar and serve...eat immediately.

becky55

Post Tue, Dec 20 2016, 2:29 pm
I never made Sufganiyot before but when I came across this recipe I was forced to try it because it is so simple (and no messv the whole thing is made in a ziplock bag) I did a test run earlier this week and they came out amazing better than I ever expected and they were delicious definitely check it out very simple and easy https://youtu.be/XGR3q7NEUls and right under the video is the recipie written let us know if you make them and how they worked

BrachaBatya

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 3:28 pm
I can't wait to make sufganiyot and latkes - I'm getting in the MOOD, BABY!!!

Pita

Post Tue, Dec 27 2016, 7:05 pm
I just used my favorite Challah recipe... and it worked!

sky

Post Tue, Dec 27 2016, 8:17 pm
I just saw to use pizza dough.

I made the recipe from spice and spirit tonight and they were excellent. We liked the donut holes the best sprinkled with confectionery sugar.

mom2six

Post Wed, Dec 28 2016, 1:49 am
No-fail sufganiyot (better than the bakery!):

1 kg flour
3 T yeast
1/2 c sugar
3 eggs
1 T lemon juice
1-1/2 c. warm water
2 t. rum or brandy
1/2 c oil
1 t. salt

Mix in mixer and leave it covered until it doubles. Roll it out and cut circles with a cup. Cover and let it rise another 20 minutes or so. Deep fry in oil (check temperature with the end of a wooden spoon - if there are tiny bubbles around it, the oil is the right temperature). When bottom is golden brown, flip over and fry until second side is golden brown. Remove with slotted spoon onto a plate lined with a paper towel. Fill and glaze as you wish.

queenert

Post Wed, Dec 28 2016, 11:40 am
Leah Shapira has an a-m-a-z-I-n-g one on cookkosher.com called square doughnuts (yes, I'm being lazy and not posting the link). They're super yummy (taste good the next day!!!) and the idea is brilliant. You cut squares instead of using round cutters and having scraps to reroll, which also makes them taste better because they're handled less. They also fry really quickly which is convenient.

Op, how was the party?

queenert

Post Wed, Dec 28 2016, 11:47 am
Leah Shapira has an a-m-a-z-I-n-g one on cookkosher.com called square doughnuts (yes, I'm being lazy and not posting the link). They're super yummy (taste good the next day!!!) and the idea is brilliant. You cut squares instead of using round cutters and having scraps to reroll, which also makes them taste better because they're handled less. They also fry really quickly which is convenient.

Open, how was the party?

rikki!

Post Wed, Dec 28 2016, 4:18 pm
mom2six wrote:
No-fail sufganiyot (better than the bakery!):

1 kg flour
3 T yeast
1/2 c sugar
3 eggs
1 T lemon juice
1-1/2 c. warm water
2 t. rum or brandy
1/2 c oil
1 t. salt

Mix in mixer and leave it covered until it doubles. Roll it out and cut circles with a cup. Cover and let it rise another 20 minutes or so. Deep fry in oil (check temperature with the end of a wooden spoon - if there are tiny bubbles around it, the oil is the right temperature). When bottom is golden brown, flip over and fry until second side is golden brown. Remove with slotted spoon onto a plate lined with a paper towel. Fill and glaze as you wish.

I'm gonna try the recipe now but only have fresh yeast. What's the equivalence to 3 T yeast?

Tia

mom2six

Post Wed, Dec 28 2016, 4:56 pm
How much dry yeast is equal to fresh?
For dry active yeast you generally need to use half the quantity of fresh yeast stated in the recipe and for instant yeast you need to use 1/4 of the quantity of fresh yeast. So if the recipe has 30g (1 ounce) fresh yeast then you can use 15g (1/2 ounce) active dry yeast or 7g (1/4 ounce) instant yeast instead.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics