Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Organized people: What are your kids' clothes in?
Previous  1  2

Shuly

Post Sun, Jan 01 2017, 7:31 am
5*Mom wrote:
Okay, so of course I needed to Google and OMG you just changed my life! Seeker, try this!!

I found this on Google, which explains it really well. Watch her videos:
http://www.ashleysgreenlife.co......html

seeker

Post Sun, Jan 01 2017, 8:53 pm
Wow, byisrael, you're a pro!

Anyway, I started to zealously tackle the project today, beginning with the ruthless purge and the idea of stashing extras out of sight - now that Chanukah vacation is over and we're back to one non-uniform day per week until February vacation. In order to do the stowing I had to pull out the storage bins, which also needed some renegotiation. Basically, everything is out and it had better get back in order before midnight or DH will just throw it all haphazardly on my bed and turn out the light. It's his policy, I can't even shame him for it because it comes from too much experience living with a person who tackles big projects on the last evening of vacation. I'm running out of steam but can't afford to take a break and lose momentum because of this. So instead I am looking forward to sharing how well I did Smile

seeker

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 12:22 am
So here's the midnight status report:

- Went through kids' shirts, skirts, and dresses and removed everything that they don't wear much, even if I like it, because they don't care what I like.
- Shuffled around my under-the-bed storage with the following results:
1 bag of winter weekday clothes that DD will never really need because she spends most of the winter in uniform (she has a ton of weekday clothes because DD#1 did not have a uniform at this size)
1 bag of assorted clothes in both kids' sizes that are just so extra that I'm not even going to bother, again mostly winter because you probably can never have too many clothes to trash over the summer
56-qt storage box under the bed #1: "extra" clothes that fit now but don't need to be in constant circulation
box #2: clothes for next season (either very spring-y or just a little too big)
box #3: summer things, e.g. bathing suits and short-sleeved shirts.
box #4: clothes to grow into that are still probably too big for next season so will reassess late summer
- Folded all current, non-extra skirts into one of the storage cube boxes on Dh's shelf
- Folded all sweaters (except one sweatshirt per kid on coat hook) into the next storage cube thing
- Sort-of Kon-maried kids' shirts, time will tell whether doing this helps anything, but for now the drawer looks great mostly because there is MUCH LESS in it with the extras, skirts, and sweaters gone.
- Folded kids' uniform shirts the regular way and stacked in their drawer pretty much as they'd always been, but tidied the pile since I was on a crusade already. Transferred headbands to a larger box, should think of some way to keep them upright within the box. Maybe I'll make a loosely stuffed tube pillow? Like next time I have vacation? Which is Pesach?

Decided (or time/energy decided for me) to leave all socks, underwear, tights for another day. Meanwhile they look like the aftermath of an earthquake. So I hope "another day" is tomorrow and I hope I come up with a workable idea. Meanwhile as I cleaned up I just tossed things into the right general neighborhood because why should I waste tonight's time on something so hopeless? And I took the smaller box that the headbands used to be in and put all the not-yet-paired socks in there so they wouldn't end up scattering all over my bed as I sleep again.

Despite all the activity my bed still looks pretty bad. But I know it can't really be as bad as it looks because I put soooooo much stuff away... Better go check it out before the lights really go out.

I hope all you disorganized slobs out there appreciate how hard I am working to normalize you LOL This is so embarrassing...

poelmamosh

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 1:03 pm
Re: headband storage
Cover a roll of paper towel (not the cardboard tube,the *whole* roll) in contact paper. You can run a ribbon through the center tube and hang it on a hook, or jam it into a shoe box slightly wider than the roll or use a regular upright holder for it.

google it for visuals and instructions.

Moonlight

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 2:00 pm
poelmamosh wrote:
Re: headband storage
Cover a roll of paper towel (not the cardboard tube,the *whole* roll) in contact paper. You can run a ribbon through the center tube and hang it on a hook, or jam it into a shoe box slightly wider than the roll or use a regular upright holder for it.

google it for visuals and instructions.

Alternate idea - big raw oatmeal container. Girls can decorate it first. It fits hairbands nicely on outside and can store clips/ponies, inside

ectomorph

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 2:13 pm
I use a floor to ceiling bookcase for my kids clothes.
Really want to get a dresser.

byisrael

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 2:36 pm
Great for you!!!!

Sounds like you are implementing a great system....

Good Luck!

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 2:40 pm
buy as many of these as fit into your space:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/cata.....3838/

you can get individual cubbies to stack on top as well. go to the ceiling. it looks nice. label the lower cubbies with clothing categories and name of kid. put the games in the top cubbies to clear out your dresser. get baskets to hold underwear/tights, each in their own cubby. hang up as little as possible.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics