Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Question for web developers

israeli83

Post Sat, Dec 31 2016, 10:15 pm
I've recently became interested in learning web development. I know there's tons of information/blogs on the internet about it. I'm a beginner so I'm looking into basic courses at first. Would treehouse be a good website to start with? I know there are also some free courses I could find online, but I need something more organized where I could get all the needed basic courses. I've been typing "web developer" on job search and noticed that many require a degree. So my question is... would I be able to find jobs without a degree and experience? would taking courses online be enough or should I go ahead and look for an online BS degree (although, a degree would take longer, I'm looking to speed up the process and learn quickly so I could find jobs). So how's the job outlook for web developers without a degree entry level jobs? Also, how many hours a day do you work? can you work at home? how's your salary (for entry level) Also, if you could recommend any additional sites for web development courses/materials. Thanks!

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Jan 01 2017, 12:26 am
Www.launchschool.com is great

israeli83

Post Sun, Jan 01 2017, 3:27 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
Www.launchschool.com is great

This could be a good school, but I'm not looking into spending that much amount of money at first, they also say on their website that it's not for beginners. So first, I'll have to look around online to learn basic coding and once I'm comfortable enough, maybe then I'll join this school or something similar.

dbg

Post Sun, Jan 01 2017, 4:20 am
codecademy.com

israeli83

Post Sun, Jan 01 2017, 5:22 am
dbg wrote:
codecademy.com

I just started with them and completed my HTML tutorials... I'm now going for CSS. These are good introductions for someone that never learned codings, once I'm comfortable with it, I'll probably look into other online courses.

Simple1

Post Sun, Jan 01 2017, 8:03 am
Im not a Web developer, but was looking into it. Lynda.Com has some easy to understand courses.

I got the feeling that it's very tough these days because of DIY websites. People will hire when they need things customised, but you have to be really very good at it. You also have to constantly keep up to date as technology changes rapidly. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

bepositive

Post Sun, Jan 01 2017, 8:13 am
Check udemy.com
They have tons of courses, some for free and some cost. They have a sale of 90% off many courses I think only u til today.

israeli83

Post Sun, Jan 01 2017, 1:51 pm
Simple1 wrote:
Im not a Web developer, but was looking into it. Lynda.Com has some easy to understand courses.

I got the feeling that it's very tough these days because of DIY websites. People will hire when they need things customised, but you have to be really very good at it. You also have to constantly keep up to date as technology changes rapidly. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

That's why I wish someone over here (who's a web developer) could verify this for me before I start learning to become a web developer. I've been researching about it, and so far the job just seems to be growing (27% by the year 2024) according to the labor department:https://www.bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/web-developers.htm
But I think you might be right that it's competitive and especially if I don't have a degree in it... I need to have a really good portfolio and get experience.

e1234

Post Sun, Jan 01 2017, 2:24 pm
I'm a web developer for over 16 years.
it is a field that things are always changing and you need to like learning new things.

I do custom websites - so specialize in customizations.

I think there is a lot of work if you are good. -and experience is worth more then a degree but you need to learn it properly in order to get experience

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Jan 01 2017, 3:53 pm
So it's hit and miss. I know lots of people outsource to cheaper countries (India, Ukraine) but many people prefer staying with people in their timezone, speaking their language. And using weebly or wix barely gives functionality beyond a simple online presence. I've fielded many inquiries about adding features to a DIY site when people have wanted more complex tasks. Every business needs a strong online presence, and I don't think the need for developers will disappear, but it may take time to find jobs because initially money talks and people like to hire cheap labor (until they are disappointed). I'd also look into becoming familiar with app programming because that would be a boost to a portfolio, when you can create a site and an app for a website. E.g. a physician's office wants an online presence, but they also want to integrate online booking -- a scheduling calendar and corresponding app would be a boon for their business as it would eliminate some receptionist workload.

I actually don't do web development full time any more, just freelance here and there, but my skills are used in my current job where I maintain a website, and don't have to rely on all pre-built software that won't meet our needs 100% as I'm comfortable with code.

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Jan 01 2017, 8:27 pm
If you just want to be primarily a housewife who does CSS
and HTML
A glorified graphic designer
If you invest the time to be a full stack developer there are more jobs than you can handle
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics