Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Residency doctor how much $ make /hour?

amother
Copper

Post Sat, Dec 31 2016, 11:12 pm
? Tia

justforfun87

Post Sat, Dec 31 2016, 11:19 pm
My sister is a resident and it is hard to break it down per hour since the hours are insane some years and sometimes not. She makes 43,000 a year....yup, that is it.

tichellady

Post Sat, Dec 31 2016, 11:21 pm
It's about $40-60k depending on the program and year of residency which is not a lot considering the hours

amother
Blonde

Post Sat, Dec 31 2016, 11:33 pm
My husband and I once sat down and tried to figure it out...it's about $7/hour. For real.

Why do you want to know?

amother
Copper

Post Sat, Dec 31 2016, 11:57 pm
$7!!!omg I can't believe it... But that doesn't add up to 40k-60k?

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Jan 01 2017, 1:58 am
dIt depends where the residency is and what year and what type of residency. California pays 10 grand less a year for example than NY. Midwest pays even less. Surgery residents work much more hours than Internal Medicine residents. Some salaries are posted on websites for the program. Then there's studying which residents don't get paid for but they must do.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Jan 01 2017, 7:25 am
amother wrote:
$7!!!omg I can't believe it... But that doesn't add up to 40k-60k?

Yes it does. Residents work about 90 hours per week. They don't get paid by the hour, they're salaried, but yeah, of you divide the salary by the hours, they're essentially making minimum wage.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Jan 01 2017, 7:26 am
At least its temporary, and toward a larger goal.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Sun, Jan 01 2017, 8:03 am
90 hours a week at $7 an hour comes to $630 a week, which comes to less than $33K per year. If you're making $40K per year, you're making $8.55 an hour. If you're making $60K per year, you're making $12.82 per hour. Which is still awful.

It's in general true that professionals often work more than 40 hours per week. These often aren't billable hours, but still they are necessary for the position. 70-80 hour weeks are common.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Jan 01 2017, 12:58 pm
There is no such thing as a 90 hour resident work week due to ACGME rules. It's "60" hours. There are still issues with overwork though.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Jan 01 2017, 1:07 pm
amother wrote:
There is no such thing as a 90 hour resident work week due to ACGME rules. It's "60" hours. There are still issues with overwork though.

First of all, it's 80 hours a week. Not 60. And it's 80 hours AVERAGE - not necessarily that it works out to 80 hours a week, every week.

And HAHAHAHAHA. As if most programs stick to it. My husband's program isn't particularly bad but when he's on call every other night....puh-leeze.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Jan 01 2017, 1:11 pm
Burgundy, those are the official hours "on" but don't include time to write notes, hand off patients on more complicated cases, extra time needed when you're short a 4th year or intern, etc. There can be hours of paperwork left to do on "off" time if you're on an especially busy rotation.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Jan 01 2017, 8:23 pm
amother wrote:
First of all, it's 80 hours a week. Not 60. And it's 80 hours AVERAGE - not necessarily that it works out to 80 hours a week, every week.

And HAHAHAHAHA. As if most programs stick to it. My husband's program isn't particularly bad but when he's on call every other night....puh-leeze.

Oh yeah. You're right. I forgot. Wishful thinking, I guess.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Jan 01 2017, 8:34 pm
amother wrote:
Oh yeah. You're right. I forgot. Wishful thinking, I guess.

I know, right? Sigh.

seeker

Post Sun, Jan 01 2017, 8:37 pm
amother wrote:
Burgundy, those are the official hours "on" but don't include time to write notes, hand off patients on more complicated cases, extra time needed when you're short a 4th year or intern, etc. There can be hours of paperwork left to do on "off" time if you're on an especially busy rotation.

Most professions the hourly rate doesn't include these kinds of extras. If you counted note-writing, case management, and paperwork in a teacher's job, they'd probably be earning about $1 an hour too. Stinks but that's just the way it is. There are some jobs that don't leave you homework but those are usually the minimum wage type in the first place.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics