Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Does anyone actually like Chanukah parties?
Previous  1  2

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 8:02 am
I think anybody who is social, enjoys going to shul on shabbos, likes going to simchas, will enjoy chanukah parties. Is a chanukah party any different than any other social gathering?

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 8:10 am
I love them. My grandparents used to make a party for their children and grandchildren in their small Lower East Side apartment. Then their children , grandchildren and great grand children. Then they were both niftar in the same year a month apart. At the Shiva it was decided to continue the tradition. Now it is a wonderful party with children , grandchildren, great grand children and great, great grand children. I get to meet more relatives than by a chassuna, keep up with everyone and relive the wonderful childhood days of going to Bubby and Zaidys Chanuka party. It is still referred to as bubby and zaidys chanuka party even though they have been dead for so many years. In this way they are still alive. It is also a way to forget all my problems and revert to and relive my innocent childhood days for a few hours.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 8:15 am
Op was referring to the current ttc thread where a lot of posters said they had a hard time with relatives intrusive comments about their pregnancy status. But I do hope that most people enjoy their Chanukah parties.

observer

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 10:07 am
I love chanuka parties. I love family and most of us have very busy lives and don't get to see each other enough, so I love the opportunity to spend time with siblings, catch up with cousins, etc.

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 12:09 pm
I'm dealing with a painful and complicated case of SIF.

I love Chanukah parties - even the ones where DH's stupid aunts make stupid comments.

Some of us have thicker skins and better senses of humor than others!

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 12:12 pm
I loathe large Chanukah parties with dizzying amounts of noise and people. I come late, leave early, and still get a headache and am drained for the next while from it.

Small, not too frequent parties with people I have some things in common with are very enjoyable for me.

I only went to two parties this Chanukah. One had four people, one had twelve. They were both very nice. I skipped all the large ones.

EnnuiGalore

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 12:12 pm
amother wrote:
All I hear is how hard they are... for people going through a variety of hardships... you name it - infertility, pregnancy loss, shidduchim, divorce... it causes them pain and discomfort.

So, maybe the other ppl, as in ppl without a major hardship, like them, right? But we all have some pekala... does anyone enjoy them? I am honestly wondering.

Thank you!

I can't stand Chanukah or the parties. All the presents, junk food....ugh. Glad it's over.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 3:22 pm
justforfun87 wrote:
Who doesn't enjoy going to a party? I noticed a theme that people who live in Brooklyn tend to have way more parties, wedding, vorts, etc to go to so it seems like a chore. Where I live if I get invited to a wedding I jump for joy, get a babysitter, and make sure not to miss the shmorg.

Um........me? I can't stand parties or any other social gatherings and avoid them whenever possible. Yes, that includes my own wedding.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 5:47 pm
I like having one Chanukah party to go. I do not like the pressure to go to a party with the family, the yeshiva/kollel, my work place, my shul, etc..
I think it's overdone for someone who is more of an introvert and not a big party person.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 5:59 pm
Its seriously the highlight of the year!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics