Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts
For classical music fans

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 5:46 am
Hi there. I wonder if any of you ladies can help me. I love classical music. I'm a giores so I grew up listening to all sorts, including Handel's "Messiah" and Wagner. I wonder if there is a list of "kosher" classical music or if anyone can make some recommendations. By "kosher" classical music, what I really mean is that I'd like to avoid any Latin/church music or romantic operas. [open to hearing suggestions about music with female vocalists, however]. At the moment, I'm just listening to what I know is ok, like most of the works of Dvorak and Shostakovich. However, I'm getting a bit tired of the same old limited playlist and would appreciate some new recommendations. Perhaps some of you frown upon listening to classical music altogether, which I totally understand, but I'm just not there yet. Any help is appreciated.

PS I've posted anonymously as not everyone I know knows that I'm a giores.

imasinger

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 7:00 am
Here's a decent Top 100 list.

http://kickassclassical.com//c......html

If you want to avoid church music or romantic operas, don't listen to numbers: 4, 8, 11, 12, (some people object to 19, as it is a) frequently used for church weddings, and b) written by the grandson of an apostate), 23, 27, 33, 36, 43, 45, 53, 69, 70, 73, 75, 86, 87, 96, 97, 98. (Note- I may have missed something; others can feel free to correct this).

If you decide that overtures to operas are okay, or if you won't relate to the romance in an opera whose language you do not speak, you can probably cut the "don't listen" group in half.

But even as is, that still gives you 78 of these super popular choices, and hopefully, a number of ideas.

There's a whole lot of great music out there, even within your restrictions.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 7:04 am
I like the normal expected, Beethoven, Vivaldi, motzart, Bach, etc.
I listen to whatever is not written for church use. I will listen to music written by the same composer who wrote for religious service as well. I like opera, but don't listen very often.
I listen mostly to what I inherited from my grandma.

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 7:13 am
any (violin) concerto for example by bruch, mendelssohn, beethoven...

chamber orchestra music by all composers,

piano- schumann, schubert, CHopin, Liszt...

I personally listen to mahler syphonies, bruckner, and yes even the ring (I dont care much about german mythology, but the music is ingenious)

basically everything exept masses, bach cantatas when they contain christian text...

most operas have a romatic content, but honestly who listens so much to the libretto anyway???

when my children are at home I listen to everything unless it has words I dont want my children to hear (hence no christian music, no opera...) when Im alone... im a little less restrictive I thiink

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 6:15 pm
Can't tell you if this is "Kosher" or anything about it - but it's my fav!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J65GxJ2v9Wgj. It's Indian Background Flute Music, perhaps someone else on here knows if it's suitable for your requirements.

Beethoven has an uncanny ability of describing emotions with music. Mozart is great too, Bach and the others mentioned above.

I love Classical Music!!

seeker

Post Mon, Jan 02 2017, 7:16 pm
I'm hardly a music connoisseur but I love the Sound Health series. It's classical music sorted by mood - there's a CD for relaxation, for productivity, for stress release, etc. It's made by the same company I use for sound therapy so the acoustics are great. If you're in the NY area I can get them for you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts