Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Speech therapy

minnie mouse

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 10:17 am
My ds, 2.5 yrs old, has a terrible lisp, and he doesnt pronounce certain sounds at all. At what age should I begin therapy?

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 10:38 am
Have him evaluated at an early intervention center. See what they say after the eval.

bsy

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 11:25 am
Which sounds does your child have/not have?

seeker

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 1:27 pm
You have nothing to lose by getting evaluated and hearing the therapist's recommendations from there. Even if they don't recommend therapy they can often supply helpful advice to you personally. If you are in the US you can be evaluated for free through early intervention but you have no time to waste because as you get close to 3 years old they won't deal with you anymore.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 3:41 pm
Just so you know, the age when speech impedimetns are dealt with is age 4, and not before - several people told me this. I ignored them and had my 3.5 year old evaluated one summer (just a few months shy of 4) for not being able to say basic sounds (k and g), and they told me to come back when she's 4. Essentially, any lisp or other letter mispronunciations are not considered a problem until age 4, because they often self-correct before then. So it doesn't hurt to go for an evaluation, just keep in mind they'll probably tell you not to come back until age 4.

5*Mom

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 3:53 pm
At 2.5 yrs old lisps are more common than not. They usually resolve on their own by age 6-7, so at 2.5 an ordinary lisp is not worrisome.

Some sounds are not typically acquired until later ages, such as R or L. What other sounds does he have trouble with?

minnie mouse

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 5:35 pm
He says s instead of sh, doesnt say r,(iI know the r is a difficult sound)

5*Mom

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 5:49 pm
minnie mouse wrote:
He says s instead of sh, doesnt say r,(iI know the r is a difficult sound)
If that is all, be reassured that that is very typical for 2.5 yr old speech and nothing to worry about.

bsy

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 6:41 pm
I'm a speech therapist. Those are age appropriate.

minnie mouse

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 11:33 pm
Thanks alot!! He's the first of my kids with this (non)issue. All my kids spoke perfectly clear from a very young age.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Jan 03 2017, 11:54 pm
I don't want to hijack this thread but I have an associated question. Ds is 4 years old and speaks clearly and eloquently. He cannot pronounce a "v" sound in the middle of a word. At the start of a word, he can do it (not always) but when it's in the middle or at the end, he replaces it with a "z" sound. Should I see a therapist?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics