Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Please help me choose a sleep away camp for my daughter
1  2  Next

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 12:29 pm
We are out of town yeshivish, husband in klei Kodesh. My daughter is sweet, aidel, reserved, academic, and artistic. I am looking for a camp that attracts very BY type girls, that will build her up, with achdus among the girls, warm counselors, etc. I am also looking for a camp populated by girls who are NOT focused on gashmiyus - for example, I don't want her to come home feeling bad about her cute tops from Junees, Target, and H and M because they are not designer labels! It's been so many years since I went to Sternberg second half in the nineties, I have NO idea where to apply for her! Any information will be so appreciated, thank you in advance!

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 2:14 pm
Delete

Last edited by amother on Tue, Feb 12 2019, 2:00 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 2:18 pm
Thanks for responding, can you give details? Is Marom on the East Coast?

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 2:23 pm
I don't know which region you are looking at. If you are looking at camps in the Catskills (NY), you should know that in every camp there will be some girls who are the designer type, but not all camps have that focus.

I would suggest that you look into either Camp Bais Yaakov or Camp Bnos Ruach Chaim. Both are more chilled in terms of the gashmius, with a mix of girls.

My daughters have attended CBY for years. Both my girls are put together sans the designer label. Junees, H&M, target, it's all good.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 2:58 pm
Hi Chayalle, thanks for responding, it was very helpful. We are in the East Coast, looking for a camp in the East Coast. I will definitely look into the two you recommended. Ty!

Does anyone know what Sternberg looks like these days?...I heard it changed a lot, and that it's recently had a comeback...I'm wonder if it caters to an out-of-townish BY crowd now?

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 3:05 pm
I would also suggest Bnos Ruach Chaim. Very sweet girls and seems to be what you're looking for.

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 3:51 pm
Bnos Ruach Chaim all the way. I am an employee there since year one, and it sounds just what youre looking for. I wouldnt delay though, as they are probably full by now.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 3:57 pm
Another vote for Camp Bais Yaakov!

Last edited by amother on Sun, Aug 26 2018, 1:29 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 4:08 pm
Thank you so much everyone for taking time to help me! I feel like I know where to request applications now : ). I really appreciate it!

Inspire

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 5:06 pm
Camp Bais Yaakov, there are just no words to describe this excellent summer experience.

groisamomma

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 5:27 pm
Another vote for Camp Bais Yaakov! I can't wait for DD to join the Machane this summer! Very Happy

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 6:09 pm
smileforamile wrote:
Marom?

My dd went to Marom for the past 2 years and is looking forward for another great summer. Its in Detroit and has bais yaakov girls from all over the world, most from NY and NJ.

We recently went to Israel where she had a reunion with some friends.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 7:13 pm
Sternberg is still amazing. . .

Definitely not as yeshivish as the other camps mentioned (Bais Yaakov and Ruach Chaim, I'm not familiar with Marom) but primarily simple, really nice girls focused on the experience and growth more than on gashmius.

Good luck with your decision.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 7:24 pm
Thank you for the info about Marom and Sternberg.

Amother Burlywood, would you say Sternberg now attracts only a BY crowd? Also, what are the dress standards at Sternberg now (sock length, etc)? And what are their standards for hiring staff? You mentioned Sternberg isn't as "yeshivish," I just want a little clarification, as it would obviously be uncomfortable for my daughter (or any girl) to be the "frummiest one." : ). Ty!

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 7:40 pm
I would not say it attracts "only" or exclusively BY types, although that is the majority. They are still a more diverse camp with a lot of OOTers (not that the OOTers are necessarily not BY types, many of them are children of klei kodesh and are very BY type) and they are more open with who they accept (they screen the staff pretty strictly but just started screening campers a few years ago and perhaps not as rigorously as other camps do).

They have different dress codes for different grades so it would depend what grade your daughter is coming out of. Staff I believe has the same dress code for the most part as other camps (although they don't have a button down shirt only rule, which I think I heard other camps have instituted). If you tell me the grade your daughter is coming out of, I can ask my DD what the dress code is.

DD has been going there for a long time. She was definitely one of the few in knee socks there at a younger age (now that she's in high school, most of her friends have their socks meet their skirts and she doesn't stick out). It worked for her but you have to know the personality of your DD. She also made amazing friends whose values I really like. Again, you have to know your child-if she is the type to be attracted to the "weakest" (hashkafically, emotionally, whatever) girls, that might not work out great, as the "weakest" in Sternberg might be "worse" than the "weakest" in another camp. (I am putting those words in quotes because it's killing me to be making that kind of judgment about people, am just trying to respond to the questions I believe you are asking.)

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 7:53 pm
Amother Burlywood, thank you for your extremely thoughtful reply, it really gave me a good sense of what Sternberg is like these days.

My daughter will be entering ninth grade, and she has B"H always been attracted to friends with similar values as herself. As long as there's a strong group in her bunk like herself, I'm sure she'd be happy.

I would very much appreciate the following information: the dress code for girls her age, and if we would be allowed to describe my daughter to the administration and request she be placed in a bunk with some similar girls? (If we chose Sternberg, I doubt any of her classmates would be there, as they are all applying to more "yeshivish" camps.) Ty!

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 9:41 pm
Another vote for sternberg - especially second session. Lots of fun, great girls, my BY daughter is thrilled there.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 9:50 pm
Delete

Last edited by amother on Tue, Feb 12 2019, 1:33 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 9:56 am
amother wrote:
Amother Burlywood, thank you for your extremely thoughtful reply, it really gave me a good sense of what Sternberg is like these days.

My daughter will be entering ninth grade, and she has B"H always been attracted to friends with similar values as herself. As long as there's a strong group in her bunk like herself, I'm sure she'd be happy.

I would very much appreciate the following information: the dress code for girls her age, and if we would be allowed to describe my daughter to the administration and request she be placed in a bunk with some similar girls? (If we chose Sternberg, I doubt any of her classmates would be there, as they are all applying to more "yeshivish" camps.) Ty!

I'm not 100% sure of the dress code for that age, pretty sure they are still allowed to wear short socks at that age and that a significant number of campers would be doing so (although fewer second trip than first trip). The rest of the dress code is pretty standard (cover elbows, knees, etc).

You can request your daughter be placed with girls who are similar to her and they will try to honor that request.

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 2:39 pm
Does anyone have contact info for Marom?
Thanks!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children