Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Leaving My Job for Something I Love!

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 1:09 pm
I took my current really boring office job in June out of desperation (I was so bored and miserable) and regretted it every day since. I can be there for 6 hours a day and do maybe 1 hour of work. I am a people's person and I don't do well with tedious. detailed work (which it was when they would give me work). Yesterday was the last straw and with DH's support and your encouragement (Imamother is the best!) I would like to announce that in two weeks I am gone forever!
Yes, I know that getting a new job is tough (I was just there 6 months ago) but I realize that I must do what I feel is best for me. We do need the income I was steadily bringing in. But... I am giving that up and trying to go for something I love. I love working with kids. I have been tutoring for a number of years now. This year I was tutoring as a supplement after work. I would like to do this full time preferably in the mornings in the child's school. Please bear with me in this lengthy post. I welcome all comments and criticism public or privately (via my email address, below. Yes, I know I am anonymous).
I believe tutoring can harm a child. A child is spoon-fed the information she cannot process in class by the tutor. The child might be passing the test but she is really failing the grade. The tutor is not getting to the root of the problem. Instead she is creating a very dependent student who will have much trouble in high school (unless she receives modified and more tutoring).
I have developed (mostly during my free time in work) a method that I call "Independent Tutoring". If the child receives a year of intensive tutoring she should be able to comprehend the lesson, take proper notes, study for a test on her own and ultimately succeed with little or no help. This method is geared specifically for girls 6th-8th grade that have trouble with summarization and comprehension skills, weak Chumash and Navi skills, trouble taking notes and understanding them. My goal is to get to the root of the problem and teach the child to learn in a way that she can. I don't want her going into High School and needing 16 tutors for all subject, I want to create an independent student who knows how to succeed with the method we have created that works just for her.
This method works great for any text-based subject like Chumash, navi, parsha as well as History, Science and any other notes-based subject.
I have been successful BH with the girls I do after school but now I am looking to do this in schools. In addition, I have developed a course to give to other tutors so that they can use this method to help others.

Edited to say: this is not an advertisement, I simply want to hear your feelings, comments and critique. I also want to know if there is a need for this type of tutoring...

Thanks for reading this lengthy post...

watergirl

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 1:29 pm
amother wrote:
I took my current really boring office job in June out of desperation (I was so bored and miserable) and regretted it every day since. I can be there for 6 hours a day and do maybe 1 hour of work. I am a people's person and I don't do well with tedious. detailed work (which it was when they would give me work). Yesterday was the last straw and with DH's support and your encouragement (Imamother is the best!) I would like to announce that in two weeks I am gone forever!
Yes, I know that getting a new job is tough (I was just there 6 months ago) but I realize that I must do what I feel is best for me. We do need the income I was steadily bringing in. But... I am giving that up and trying to go for something I love. I love working with kids. I have been tutoring for a number of years now. This year I was tutoring as a supplement after work. I would like to do this full time preferably in the mornings in the child's school. Please bear with me in this lengthy post. I welcome all comments and criticism public or privately (via my email address, below. Yes, I know I am anonymous).
I believe tutoring can harm a child. A child is spoon-fed the information she cannot process in class by the tutor. The child might be passing the test but she is really failing the grade. The tutor is not getting to the root of the problem. Instead she is creating a very dependent student who will have much trouble in high school (unless she receives modified and more tutoring).
I have developed (mostly during my free time in work) a method that I call "Independent Tutoring". If the child receives a year of intensive tutoring she should be able to comprehend the lesson, take proper notes, study for a test on her own and ultimately succeed with little or no help. This method is geared specifically for girls 6th-8th grade that have trouble with summarization and comprehension skills, weak Chumash and Navi skills, trouble taking notes and understanding them. My goal is to get to the root of the problem and teach the child to learn in a way that she can. I don't want her going into High School and needing 16 tutors for all subject, I want to create an independent student who knows how to succeed with the method we have created that works just for her.
This method works great for any text-based subject like Chumash, navi, parsha as well as History, Science and any other notes-based subject.
I have been successful BH with the girls I do after school but now I am looking to do this in schools. In addition, I have developed a course to give to other tutors so that they can use this method to help others. If you know anyone looking to tutor, or a child that needs help feel free to contact me [email address removed] or below.

Thanks for reading this lengthy post...

This post is going to get deleted. But before t does, I have to say - I am so curious as to what your username is, and if your new member or not. Why are you posting about this amazing opportunity under your username? What are you hiding?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 1:37 pm
I am not hiding anything. I left an email address there and if you contact me you will know my true name. But under my imamother username I have shared with you a lot of personal info (like everyone else) that I would prefer to be kept anonymous. Why will this get deleted? I simply want to know if there is a need for this type of tutoring.

happy to be me

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 1:56 pm
You accidentally replied with your username. If you want to remain anonymous you should edit that post.

Your idea sounds great but you left out some important information.
1- Your location
2- What this program and the techniques used is based on
3- If you have training in this field

Last edited by happy to be me on Wed, Jan 04 2017, 2:25 pm; edited 2 times in total

zaq

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 2:01 pm
amother wrote:
I am not hiding anything. I left an email address there and if you contact me you will know my true name. But under my imamother username I have shared with you a lot of personal info (like everyone else) that I would prefer to be kept anonymous. Why will this get deleted? I simply want to know if there is a need for this type of tutoring.

It would be deleted because it's an ad for your product or service. Ads you have to pay for unless you're a mod and get free advertising in exchange for your volunteering.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 2:24 pm
happy to be me wrote:
You accidentally replied with your username. If you want to remain anonymous you should edit that post.

Your idea sounds great and I have a few questions about it.
1- Where are you located?
2- What is this program and the techniques used based on?
3- Do you have any training in this field?

I'm in Lakewood. The program is based on the Outline Method. I have been working with girls and this method with my twists for 3 years.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 2:28 pm
zaq wrote:
It would be deleted because it's an ad for your product or service. Ads you have to pay for unless you're a mod and get free advertising in exchange for your volunteering.

Thanks for clarification. This was NOT meant to be a add. See my edit to the org post.

besty

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 2:57 pm
just my 2 cents...I do not really have experience in this field but when I tutored when I was in 12th grade part of our chesed program I felt like I was just teaching it very clear to this sixth grader and giving her a little extra attention what a teacher in classroom cant give.

I personally feel if a child has a serious issue just tutoring wont help. you got to address the issue and teach her actuall techiniques how to learn and process. etc. so ye theyre might be a big need out there.

loads of luck!

musicmom

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 3:00 pm
Sounds like a study skills course. Teens need to learn how to make sure they know what they need and process it in a way that they can personally learn and remember it. Every person is different with unique skills and challenges, and you want to help teens learn to educate and be accountable to themselves. I took a course like this in middle school one summer and it changed my education for the better! It was at a private school. Also sounds similar to what resource teachers do daily in a public school.

MyUsername

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 4:02 pm
My only question is why schools would be interested in this. I get why parents would pay you to tutor, but I'm not sure a school would pay for something like this.

seeker

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 4:56 pm
Not sure I understand what makes this different than regular study skills training. But in any case, study skills training is something many students need. I don't know if you'll find schools agreeable to running this course, any that are interested in this kind of thing probably have their own teachers building these skills into their classes. But the idea of training other tutors to tutor more effectively sounds viable.

smilealot

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 6:40 pm
I think it sounds amazing.
It sounds like it would cut down the need for teacher assistants and rather teach the kids the skills and the confidence to do it themselves.
Amazing.
Wish I lived in lakewood and could learn from u.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics