Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Fast forward, cogmed

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 6:10 pm
Has anyone used any of these for apd and ADHD? Or just apd? Have you been successful? I really want to try but want to know if it's good

smilealot

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 6:33 pm
I can't say as I haven't used either of them but I do know that the school senco didn't feel highly of them when I was asking her.
Good luck. X

newmother

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 6:42 pm
I know that cogmed was not proven to have any positive effect on adhd, I don't know what the data is about auditory processing disorder.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 6:50 pm
New mother I read the stuff on their site that they have extensive studies to prove it does work for issues related to memory. How come you say the opposite?

I know there are a lot of politics between them and therapists that deal with cbt. In other words they don't want computer programs to take over them.

So there is definitely personal interest here. I am just looking to see if anyone used it and did they have success.

newmother

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 7:35 pm
In terms of ADHD, Cogmed did intial testing that showed it was effective for focusing and attention but since then no other study has been able to copy those results and see any improvement (which is probably why insurance will never cover it) if it helps with memory, I don't know.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 7:39 pm
Newmother where are You taking your information from?

anonymrs

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 7:40 pm
newmother wrote:
In terms of ADHD, Cogmed did intial testing that showed it was effective for focusing and attention but since then no other study has been able to copy those results and see any improvement (which is probably why insurance will never cover it) if it helps with memory, I don't know.

I don't know much about cogmed, but just want to add that kids who are diagnosed with ADHD almost always struggle with poor working memory so it certainly is possible that a program that targets memory would be helpful for such children.

seeker

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 8:36 pm
It may help working memory without helping other facets of ADHD, or it may be ineffective for people with ADHD altogether, I haven't researched it enough to really know. I do know that it has strong scientific backing for working memory, but that's very specific.

Fast ForWord I am more familiar with as I'm a provider of the service, and I'd be happy to answer your questions about it. It is highly effective for APD (CogMed does not have the auditory processing component, it's more visually based). It does not specifically target ADHD. It does train working memory. Many people have found that attentional issues improve when auditory processing improves, because it's a lot easier to attend as well as behave in class when you can more easily process what's going on. However, if someone has true ADHD that won't be quite enough and they will need to be treated for the ADHD separately as well. Fast ForWord is the most helpful for difficulties related to APD, language, or reading.

newmother

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 9:18 pm
amother wrote:
Newmother where are You taking your information from?

I recently went to a training workshop on the topic of ADHD given by one of the leaders in the field, Dr William Pelham. He blasted cogmed as ineffective with no proven results (he didn't mention fast forward by name, which is why I didn't mention it). This is information that I have heard many times before but when it is being bashed as a waste of money and effort by a leader in the field I thought I should let people know.
https://ccf.fiu.edu/about-us/f.....m-jr/

seeker

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 9:22 pm
He probably didn't mention Fast ForWord because FFW doesn't claim to treat ADHD in the first place. You can't blast a screwdriver for not being a good enough hammer. There were studies that tried to do that, though...

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 11:07 pm
After being diagnosed with auditory processing disorder, my son did the FastForword program and it helped him a lot. My friend did HearBuilder with her son and it helped him also.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 12:57 pm
seeker wrote:
It may help working memory without helping other facets of ADHD, or it may be ineffective for people with ADHD altogether, I haven't researched it enough to really know. I do know that it has strong scientific backing for working memory, but that's very specific.

Fast ForWord I am more familiar with as I'm a provider of the service, and I'd be happy to answer your questions about it. It is highly effective for APD (CogMed does not have the auditory processing component, it's more visually based). It does not specifically target ADHD. It does train working memory. Many people have found that attentional issues improve when auditory processing improves, because it's a lot easier to attend as well as behave in class when you can more easily process what's going on. However, if someone has true ADHD that won't be quite enough and they will need to be treated for the ADHD separately as well. Fast ForWord is the most helpful for difficulties related to APD, language, or reading.

I am trying to get information on the fast forward program. My child might have dyslexia and it was recommended that we look in to this. I have not been able to find a contact number online. Can you tell me who to call? Does this help with dyslexia? The main issues that we are dealing with are reading and handwriting (not auditory processing). We are getting OT for our child and vision therapy but do not see much improvement.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 1:23 pm
New mother thanks for your information. I appreciate it. When you say he blasted. What exactly did he say? Can you help me find a place that he writes about this? I would really like to read it.

seeker

Post Thu, Feb 02 2017, 3:19 pm
amother wrote:
I am trying to get information on the fast forward program. My child might have dyslexia and it was recommended that we look in to this. I have not been able to find a contact number online. Can you tell me who to call? Does this help with dyslexia? The main issues that we are dealing with are reading and handwriting (not auditory processing). We are getting OT for our child and vision therapy but do not see much improvement.

Private message me and I'll send you my number, we can talk about it in detail to see if it's right for you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)