Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Birthday party question

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 5:50 pm
If you daughter/son attends a classmate or friends birthday party do send along a gift? I am just wondering. My daughter had her 11th birthday party in my house last week. She had about 20 classmates and five neighbors over. At least 13-14 kids came without a little present. I was brought up with the etiquette that if you go somewhere you bring along something. If my child goes to a friend for Shabbos I always send something along. I don't need the gifts, I was just surprised. That's all.(Please don't call me a immature or start bashing)

cm

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 6:18 pm
Extremely rare for a child to attend a party without a gift.

I wonder if there was some sort of miscommunication. Did the kids receive actual invitations? By age 11 the parties become very casual so maybe that had something to do with it as well.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 7:04 pm
They got a detailed invite a week before. Last year a good few girls also didn't bring anything. The party was 3 hours long so the kids were well entertained.

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 7:22 pm
Had a similar experience this summer for my daughters birthday. About a dozen girls came over. 2 had gifts. I was surprised too. In one sense I was relieved, because my kids have way too many toys already and the last thing they need is more stuff. But still, so different than how I was raised that it did shock me.

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 7:52 pm
I am one of those ppl who don't bring a gift. I honestly forget and try to drop something off at a later time.

BrachaBatya

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 8:00 pm
That's weird. In our circles you always bring a gift. Always!

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Jan 06 2017, 8:28 am
Ok. So I am not crazy for wondering. Thank you!

Rutabaga

Post Fri, Jan 06 2017, 8:47 am
Maybe the parents didn't have a chance to buy a present before the party? One weeks notice is not much time for busy people.

I tend to buy a few presents at a time so I always have a couple in the house for exactly that reason. If I don't have a present at the time of the party I'll try to send one later but honestly I'm likely to forget.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children