Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
What do you do with good clothing that has permanent stain?

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 2:48 pm
Do you throw it out? I have a few sweaters that have permanent stains.
And kids uniform skirts with paint stains that will not come out.

They are cluttering up my space and obviously not being used.

Do you throw out things like that?

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 3:05 pm
What makes the stain permanent? I first try to get the stain out. I have a collection of Carbona stain devils that do a great job on many stains. It's rare that a stain is really permanent, especially if attended to in a timely fashion.

The glue/chewing gum stain devil has gotten quite a few paint stains out of my kids' clothes. It kind of peels/melts away with a knife scraping and the solution applied.

Beyond that, I don't put stained clothing on my children. So if it didn't come out, I would toss them. Along with anything useless that is just cluttering up space - not worth the price of my real-estate.

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 3:07 pm
This response belongs on the immediate reactions thread but I can't be anon there so sorry but-

Send it to a Rav? He can say if it's kosher but then he gets to keep it.

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 3:12 pm
Chayalle wrote:
What makes the stain permanent? I first try to get the stain out. I have a collection of Carbona stain devils that do a great job on many stains. It's rare that a stain is really permanent, especially if attended to in a timely fashion.

The glue/chewing gum stain devil has gotten quite a few paint stains out of my kids' clothes. It kind of peels/melts away with a knife scraping and the solution applied.

Beyond that, I don't put stained clothing on my children. So if it didn't come out, I would toss them. Along with anything useless that is just cluttering up space - not worth the price of my real-estate.

bleach stains in my clothing, oil stains

also stretched out sweaters

(I am asking for permission to throw these things out lol!)

essie14

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 3:16 pm
I tearfully throw out clothes that I love that become permanently stained. I'm never going to wear it and it just makes me more sad to see it hanging in the closet. I will not dress my children in anything that is stained so I throw out anything they can't wear. I will only give away clothing in very good condition.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 3:19 pm
amother wrote:

I don't know if I'm local, and I'm not a Rabbi, but you have my Orthodox heter. Chuck the stuff!

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 3:21 pm
Anyone familiar with putty? My DD has the largest collection in Lakewood....(they should be ILLEGAL). DD's uniform jumper has a middle pocket, which was totally lined with stuck-on putty....they melted off with Stain Devils....washed out the uniform and it was good as new....

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 3:26 pm
Bleach stains - throw out regretfully if it's obvious and the garment is no longer being worn.

Oil stains - easily comes out with Dawn dish soap and some love and care (if the stains were not set in the hot dryer).

Paint stains - I try Carbona first and if it doesn't come out I sadly throw it out. If it's a sturdy polyester uniform skirt it may come out with paint thinner and a q-tip.

Stretched out sweaters - if it's something of mine that's expensive that got stretched by accident I might bring it to a good cleaners that offers a reshaping. But it's expensive, and not guaranteed, so not if it just slowly stretched out beyond help or if it would cost the same to replace, I have to discard the garment.

MyUsername

Post Fri, Jan 06 2017, 7:10 am
I treat and wash them 3 times, and if the stain still doesn't come out, then it's time to throw it out. If it's too hard for you, ask your husband to do it Smile

cbg

Post Fri, Jan 06 2017, 7:25 am
I once had a sweater with a stain on the sleeve
I took a piece of lace, had the seamstress sew a piece of lace on down both sleeves. Voila, I had a new sweater.

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Jan 06 2017, 7:33 am
amother wrote:

Why in the world would you keep it?!!

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jan 06 2017, 7:57 am
It depends on your lifestyle. I keep a small stash of stained clothes, and save them for things like camping, hiking, doing messy art projects, and Pesach cleaning. That way, if they get further ruined, I won't care at all.

Sometimes I give ruined clothing to DD, and she will cut them up and make clothes for her dolls, and curtains and rugs for her doll houses out of them. When DD stained her clothes, if they still fit, then we saved them for trips to the park, and other times where she might get muddy.

Lint free clothing is great for dusting. My mom kept a box full of my dad's old undershirts and underpants, because they were very soft cotton, and worked really well on our antique furniture. I thought it was funny that one of my chores was dusting with my dad's briefs. LOL

*raised by SUPER frugal parents. Very Happy

lora

Post Fri, Jan 06 2017, 10:07 am
I had this really cute and expensive solid color sweater that got a bleach stain, and I just had to try and save it, so I dyed it and it worked, don't know if this helps but just letting you know.
otherwise cry a bit and then dump it.

gamanit

Post Fri, Jan 06 2017, 1:10 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Bleach stains - throw out regretfully if it's obvious and the garment is no longer being worn.

My sister had an ugly brown sweater (sorry sis Smile) that I loved the pattern of but just hated the color. I was once wearing it and got a bleach stain on the sleeve. I just soaked the entire sweater in bleach and water and it came out a peachy orangey color. IMHO it was much nicer than before. Just a thought Smile.

zaq

Post Fri, Jan 06 2017, 2:15 pm
Depends on what it is, what it's made of, what its overall condition is, and other factors. I might:
-cover a bleach spot on a black garment with a black Sharpie
-cover a stain with an applique
-sprinkle a bleach-spotted article with more bleach to create a splatter effect, which goes in and out of fashion at intervals
-bleach the whole garment
-relegate the item to the Purim costume box
-give the item to goodwill (but not a gmach) because people who work dirty jobs like auto mechanics do buy stained clothing rather than ruin their own
-save it for when I do messy jobs like painting
-wear it while doing household chores (I hate aprons) till it gets too disreputable even for me, after which I would
-take the item apart and reuse parts of it for other sewing projects or for dust rags, or, if the material is unsuitable for even that, I would
-throw it out. After cutting off and saving the buttons and nice trim, if any, of course.

If I were truly committed to frugality and liked sewing, I would unravel sweaters to reuse the wool, and cut out good parts of stained but not worn-out clothing to make a quilt. I once started a salvaged scrap collection, but soon realized that at the rate I was going it would take 20 years or more to collect enough good scraps to make a quilt, and during all those years I'd have this pile of scraps getting in the way. You understand, if you're going to put all that work into making a quilt, the fabric has to be in excellent condition, not halfway worn out. So a shirt that was ruined within a month of its first wearing would be fine, but a shirt that was several years old would probably not be a good candidate. And the scraps have to be of a usable size, so certain garments just don't have enough material in them to work. It was a lovely idea while it lasted, though.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics