Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Gluten free hamotzi bread

Rosemarie

Post Sun, Jan 01 2017, 10:52 pm
Anyone have really a good recipe for gluten free challa or rolls that is hamotzi so it can be used for Lechem Mishna for shabbos?

TIA

cozyblanket

Post Sun, Jan 01 2017, 11:06 pm
from the Soveya cookbook

12 oz 1 minute quick oats
2 C water
1.5 t salt
2 T onion flakes, optional

mix everything well. let dough sit for half hour to thicken. with wet hands, form into 6 balls. place balls on greased pan and bake 30 min at 350.

2 things:
I can't make it that way bc it never gets firm enough so after it sets I put the mixture into a greased muffin pan so it bakes into muffin shapes.

It is halachikly considered pas because the grain is somewhat processed - being quick oats instead of "old fashioned" oats which are the healthiest and least processed. But to be pas it has to be somewhat processed so that is why this recipes used quick oats.

This recipe is so healthy it doesn't even have any "official" flour in it!! It might not taste like what you are looking for, but it will work.

For more recipes, you can order the cookbook on the soveya website.

Rosemarie

Post Sun, Jan 01 2017, 11:10 pm
Thanks for responding so quickly.

I generally make egg challa, 6 eggs for 6 lb flour. With oil and sugar. And it's fluffy and soft. This really doesn't sound like it will even resemble what we know of as challa. And I. Looking for something that can be a replacement for our challa. I don't see this recipe going over very well in that regard.

cozyblanket

Post Sun, Jan 01 2017, 11:12 pm
oh, if it's for kids, no they won't love it.
When I make it just for me, they all beg for some. But if I served it as the family challah, no way!!!
Didn't realize you wanted to replace your big family challah.

Notsobusy

Post Sun, Jan 01 2017, 11:19 pm
Gluten free challah just isn't fluffy, especially when you want it to be hamotzi. I've gotten a great recipe on here, but it doesn't taste like regular challah or bread. Here's the thread http://www.imamother.com/forum.....hter=

cbg

Post Sun, Jan 01 2017, 11:33 pm
Do you need it to be gluten free?
I have a low carb bread recipe, but it's not gluten free.
You can say Hamotzi and bench with 1 kazayit.
Al Netilat Yadayim, 2, just like regular challah.
This bread is about 60 calories, 4 grams of carbs, the rolls weigh about 85grams.
BUT
It's not gluten free since it use real wheat flour.

mandksima

Post Sat, Jan 07 2017, 7:07 pm
I make oat flour pita that uses a bit over 51% oat flour. I also can't have yeast so there aren't any options for challah like hamotzei. Kids won't love it if you're trying to replace challah with it. Oat flour doesn't taste the best and makes a denser bread. I like the pita as I can eat dips with it and it isn't crumbly at all.

Miri1

Post Sat, Jan 07 2017, 7:22 pm
mandksima wrote:
I make oat flour pita that uses a bit over 51% oat flour. I also can't have yeast so there aren't any options for challah like hamotzei. Kids won't love it if you're trying to replace challah with it. Oat flour doesn't taste the best and makes a denser bread. I like the pita as I can eat dips with it and it isn't crumbly at all.

Would you mind posting the recipe?

mummiedearest

Post Sat, Jan 07 2017, 7:27 pm
op, you may want to research sourdough bread recipes.

mandksima

Post Sat, Jan 07 2017, 10:14 pm
Miri1 wrote:
Would you mind posting the recipe?

I use this one which I tried first and liked so I haven't tried others:oat pita

The psyillium husk is the best ingredient as it binds to make the pita elastic. It's basically unflavored Metamucil but I buy it in the health food store as powder. I use extra tapioca starch instead of cornstarch as a preference. Instead of yeast, I substitute 2 T lemon juice and 1 1/8 tsp baking soda. I skip the rising period usually as I don't care how fluffy they are, flatbread works for me too and then they are quicker to make. I bake on a stove top grill pan. You could also use the bottom of a frying pan to get the same effect. I use water instead of milk. The dough becomes firm a few moments after mixing from the psyllium husk. Rolling in the rice flour makes it have a cornmeal like outside. It's a lot of ingredients but I have them around anyway.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads