Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Help! Worms in my soup?

kugelzlady

Post Sat, Jan 07 2017, 10:36 pm
I am sorry if this grosses anybody out, but here goes...

I made split pea soup tonight. I used a bag of goya green split peas. Can't say it was a new bag...but I put the peas on a plate to check them and all seemed fine.

2 hours later...

There are these small white crescent-shaped things in my soup! Are they worms? Are they sprouts? I've tried to search the internet but can't get any conclusive answer. They are not all floating to the top, do worms float? What kind of question is that even? Sad

The rav is calling me back but I don't know what his experience is cooking soup so if anyone here has had this happen to them and knows what it is please let me know ASAP! I'm hoping to get lots of very experienced imamother balabustas here telling me that this happens all the time and that its just part of the pea or something and not to worry. But please let me know either way if you have any idea what this might be!

Thanks in advance........

amother
Ruby

Post Sat, Jan 07 2017, 10:41 pm
https://food52.com/hotline/119.....ooked

MagentaYenta

Post Sat, Jan 07 2017, 10:43 pm
These are remnants of the outer layers of the pea that were not removed during processing. If you have ever had a fresh English pea there will be a membrane over the meaty outer layer, (it's thin and almost transparent) that's what you are seeing here. It's no big deal. You don't see it when the split peas are dried, only when they are cooked.

real

Post Sat, Jan 07 2017, 10:52 pm
I actually had the same thing happen to me. It turned out to be one of the spices I was using was older and that's what caused it. It made me nauseous to serve it so I dumped it and threw the spice in the trash.

kugelzlady

Post Sat, Jan 07 2017, 11:34 pm
Thanks for all of your responses!

Our Rav says it's fine...

I think it's time to bring in the immersion blender? Still grossed out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen