Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Nine month old schedule help!

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sat, Dec 31 2016, 11:01 pm
My baby is almost nine months old. Lately her schedule has been going way off and she goes to sleep between 9:30 and 10:30 au night. Her naps are hard to schedule bec I have multiple appointments every week and she comes along. I can't change that but I need her to go to sleep between 7:00 & 8:00 at night so I can have an evening and early bed time for myself. She wakes from her nap between 5:00 & 6:00. Should I be waking her up from her nap if she does a late nap? Should I not let her sleep too long by day. What time should she be going in for her last nap and waking up from her last nap? Is 8:00 too late to be going to bed? She wakes up sometimes at 8:00 in the morning. Should I be waking her up earlier? I want basic sleep advice.

Side note. she is nursing every few hours and if she is tired will fall asleep on me so if she woke up at 2:00 from her nap and nurses at 5:00 chances are she will fall asleep on me and nap till 6:00 and mess me up. Of course I can talk to her the whole time to try to keep her up if that is necessary.

Thanks a lot. I am feeling very desperate so any and all advice is welcome.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sat, Dec 31 2016, 11:17 pm
1. Speak to your pediatrician for advice.

2. Have you considered sleep training? Nine month olds are able to sleep through the night.

3. I'm extremely scheduled. My baby does pretty much the same thing every day, with rare exceptions. It doesn't sound like you're able to do that, but the more often you can, the better both you and your baby will feel.

4. In general, 9-month-olds need 2 naps a day, so my schedule looks like this:
Wake up
2 hours later - nap for 1.5 - 2 hours
3 hours after waking up - nap for 1-1.5 hours
3-4 hours after that - bed time, which is usually from 6:30 - 6:30 pm

5. If my baby takes a later nap, I will absolutely wake him up at 5. He will then go to sleep a bit later, like 7. I do not let him sleep past five.

6. If you want a great sleep book, read Dr. Weissbluth ( I forgot the name but you can google it). He advocates cry-it-out, which WORKS, but if you don't want to do that method, there are other methods (that don't work as well) and A TON of really important sleep info, such as creating healthy sleep habits.

Hatzlacha rabbah!

cinnabuns

Post Sun, Jan 01 2017, 1:18 am
Sleep begets sleep. Get her naps on routine, and she'll sleep better at night.
In the same boat with my baby, I love the schedule posted above. When does he eat and drink his bottles?

lucky14

Post Sun, Jan 01 2017, 3:28 am
Seems like her afternoon nap is too late. try to do everything you can to keep her from falling asleep while nursing. I'd start take off my baby's clothes if he fell asleep while nursing (it worked, he'd wake up). is she waking up from her first nap or second nap at 2?
I also suggest reading Dr. Weissbluth's book. He talks about how important an early bedtime is.w

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Jan 01 2017, 8:24 am
lucky14 wrote:
Seems like her afternoon nap is too late. try to do everything you can to keep her from falling asleep while nursing. I'd start take off my baby's clothes if he fell asleep while nursing (it worked, he'd wake up). is she waking up from her first nap or second nap at 2?
I also suggest reading Dr. Weissbluth's book. He talks about how important an early bedtime is.w

She usually wakes from her first nap at 12:00 and second nap at around 5:00.

Is 8:00 too late for her age? What time should I be putting her in?

pesek zman

Post Sun, Jan 01 2017, 8:33 am
amother wrote:

My girl had a 6:30 bedtime at that age. Now at 2 she goes to sleep at 7

I think 8 pm is too late

My baby's schedule for naps and sleep are therefore very different

Most people who put their babies to bed early (6:30) had them wake up around that time too, and naps were at 9 and 1.

agreer

Post Sun, Jan 01 2017, 12:40 pm
amother wrote:

5 hours is a LONG stretch for a 9 month old.

I would put her to sleep for her second nap from 4-5 and try for bedtime at 7.

Good luck!

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Jan 01 2017, 12:59 pm
agreer wrote:
5 hours is a LONG stretch for a 9 month old.

I would put her to sleep for her second nap from 4-5 and try for bedtime at 7.

Good luck!

You misunderstood. She is up from 12-4.

If she naps from 4-5 than I can't get her to sleep before 10:00. This is what I am hitting lately.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 7:22 am
Update. Started putting her to sleep earlier but now she started waking at 6:30 which is too early for me. She does a total of 13 hours daily which ever way I slice it. Yesterday she napped three hours so after falling asleep 8:30 only slept till 6:30. Should I cut her naps down to an hour each? What can I do?

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 9:31 am
amother wrote:
Update. Started putting her to sleep earlier but now she started waking at 6:30 which is too early for me. She does a total of 13 hours daily which ever way I slice it. Yesterday she napped three hours so after falling asleep 8:30 only slept till 6:30. Should I cut her naps down to an hour each? What can I do?

Thirteen hours is normal for this age, so is waking up early. I think if you cut her naps shorter she will just be cranky. I have a ten month old so I know what your going through

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 9:54 am
She was actually cranky all morning. Don't think her body was ready to be up so early. She is cranky half the day in general. I am really confused. I need a template for a schedule for a nine month old who sleeps 13 hours a day with a 7:00 wake up. I am trying to schedule her naps too. I have her nap now from 10-11:30 and 3-4:30. Than 8:00 bedtime. She used to fall asleep nursing now she fights every nap and bedtime. I need to hold her for five minutes while she cries. And than since she is tired out from crying falls asleep nursing.

pesek zman

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 10:29 am
amother wrote:
She was actually cranky all morning. Don't think her body was ready to be up so early. She is cranky half the day in general. I am really confused. I need a template for a schedule for a nine month old who sleeps 13 hours a day with a 7:00 wake up. I am trying to schedule her naps too. I have her nap now from 10-11:30 and 3-4:30. Than 8:00 bedtime. She used to fall asleep nursing now she fights every nap and bedtime. I need to hold her for five minutes while she cries. And than since she is tired out from crying falls asleep nursing.

6:30:6:30
Naps at 9am and 1pm

If she's waking up at 7am, try 9:30 and 1:30 naps

8pm bedtime is too late. Aim for 6:30 or 7

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 10:32 am
12 hrs at night and 2 naps doesn't work for a kid who only needs 13 hours in total. It sounds like yours sleeps 15.

pesek zman

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 10:35 am
amother wrote:
12 hrs at night and 2 naps doesn't work for a kid who only needs 13 hours in total. It sounds like yours sleeps 15.

At this age sleep begets sleep. She will sleep more when she sleeps more

If a 9 month old falls asleep feeding, she is exhausted and needs more sleep than she is getting

Try the above schedule with consistency for a week and see what happens

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 10:37 am
pesek zman wrote:
At this age sleep begets sleep. She will sleep more when she sleeps more

If a 9 month old falls asleep feeding, she is exhausted and needs more sleep than she is getting

Try the above schedule with consistency for a week and see what happens

Ok. Will let you know how it went.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics