Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
University of Maryland?

spinkles

Post Sun, Jul 08 2012, 6:59 pm
Is it a suitable place for a BY girl? TIA

Tova

Post Sun, Jul 08 2012, 7:15 pm
I'm assuming you don't mean to dorm but just regular classroom attendance.

It's like any other secular college, no better and no worse.

If she is going for a popular major and can take classes with other frum girls that is best.

Some are against secular college b'shitta, and even though I did attend secular college I totally get why it is objectionable.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 08 2012, 8:19 pm
Undergraduate school with all that the lifestyle entails or graduate school while living in the frum community?

spinkles

Post Sun, Jul 08 2012, 9:37 pm
She would be living with extended family members, not in the dorms. For her B.A.

Would there be a core group of girls that she could be friends with, who would be support for each other? A lot of people have said the University of Maryland is frum-friendly, I'm just trying to understand what that means.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 08 2012, 11:10 pm
My neighbor's daughter goes there & dorms there. A serious MO type family. I get the impression that there is a large enough group of shomre-shabbas, shomre-kashrus kids there that they have a chevrah. If she has a car she can commute from the frum neigborhood in Baltimore & have her friends & social network be where she lives & treat school like a commuter school.

Barbara

Post Sun, Jul 08 2012, 11:16 pm
Amongst the MO, Maryland has long been considered a school with excellent Orthodox-friendly amenities. See, for example, http://www.umdkedma.com/home.html

familyfirst

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 10:01 pm
There's also a great chabad on campus. Check them out

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 10:10 pm
It's both frum friendly and a party school. So it all depends on the student. A girl who's living off-campus with relatives should be fine.

cm

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 10:15 pm
The student in question has probably graduated by now. (UMD-College Park is still considered one of the top schools in the country for frum kids, BTW).

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 10:16 pm
My info is several years old, but I doubt much has changed:

The responses you have gotten have identified it as friendly to MO students. I agree with this. But I don't see BY girls going there. A BY girl who needs a chevra would not have one there.

Do you mean University of Maryland, College Park? that is what I am talking about (that is the main U of MD campus). BY girls from Silver Spring usually go to Baltimore or other cities for college.

If you mean U of MD, Balt Campus (UMBC), there are girls who go but not many. I felt pretty alone there.

Towson University is better, but still, it depends on the major and the classes etc.

Where will she be living? which community? do you know that there are other BY girls staying in town after seminary for her to be friends with? You need to do research. If you want to some serious research into who will actually be in Silver Spring next year, etc, you can. LMK if you want me to PM you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children