Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Moving soon--where to start?!

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 5:29 am
We just found out that there's a "high probability" that we will be moving--locally, by the end of the month. We've essentially narrowed it down to 2 places and just waiting on final approval. I know its still not a done-deal, but should be hopefully by the end of the week. We will likely have to do it quickly over a weekend. Probably not using movers, but likely some combination of friends/relatives/ neighbors.

I feel like I should get started, but I don't know how to start. We are in a 1-bedroom apartment, moving to a much larger space. So not a lot of space to store boxes once I get started.

Am I jumping the gun? What can I do? ANY advice would be appreciated.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 5:36 am
Start as soon as possible. It always is a bigger job and takes longer than you think it will be. Just stack the boxes one on top of the other against the wall. Start with the dining room/living room, the good dishes, silver, sefarim or whatever gets used least.
Bsha'ah Tova on the move!

imasinger

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 5:42 am
I agree with ra_mom, as usual.

It helps to list everything you have, and figure out how you will move it. Then, break down the job into chunks, and get going.

I find it easiest to start with any books that I can live without for a few weeks, as book boxes stack easily, and it feels so good to see those empty shelves.

Anything decorative next -- pictures from walls, knickknacks, etc.

Less needed kitchen stuff next. You can eat off paper, or do takeout for a few days at the end.

You won't need to worry about packing clothing. Just get a few wardrobe boxes for the hanging stuff, and bring the drawers over still full.

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 6:04 am
I guess in our case, since we have 2 cars--SUV and Minivan, and we know someone with a van, we'd likely just load a car and take it over to the new place and then start loading the 2nd car etc. and have people at both ends to load/unload. We really don't have extra space--hence the reason why we're moving.

My husband is taking a more "Wait and see approach"--as its still not definite yet-- whereas I'm just so eager to get started b/c I'm more optimistic.
We really need to organize stuff. Find missing pieces to toys etc. Do I start making boxes of "random stuff" so that as we pack we can put the "random stuff with the right categories?

Aside for that. I'm guessing that the stuff out in the open and stuff in the furniture would be packed first--so that more room can be made for more boxes and packing etc. Any other ideas? I'm guessing that stuff in drawers can kind of be left "As is" b/c we can just put the drawers in the vehicles and drive them over. Or no?

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 6:10 am
Another question is what supplies should we start obtaining/buying? Do we need "mattress protectors"? Since we probably won't be able to predict what the weather will be that day.

Can anyone recommend the best way to pack dishes--in regular boxes with bubble wrap? Do we need special packing materials for electronics for such a short move? Trying to keep this a low-cost move.

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 6:34 am
imasinger wrote:
I agree with ra_mom, as usual.

It helps to list everything you have, and figure out how you will move it. Then, break down the job into chunks, and get going.

I find it easiest to start with any books that I can live without for a few weeks, as book boxes stack easily, and it feels so good to see those empty shelves.

Anything decorative next -- pictures from walls, knickknacks, etc.

Less needed kitchen stuff next. You can eat off paper, or do takeout for a few days at the end.

You won't need to worry about packing clothing. Just get a few wardrobe boxes for the hanging stuff, and bring the drawers over still full.

So in our case, our books/bookcases are make up our kids' "room", so I'm nervous about unloading those first.

How do I know how many boxes to order or will the boxes I get from groceries be good enough?

imamom7

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 6:36 am
For dishes- I saw a great trick- just buy styrofoam plates and layer them between plates while packing and wrap whole stack in newspaper- the dishes moved great and you can use the plates after...

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 6:40 am
imamom7 wrote:
For dishes- I saw a great trick- just buy styrofoam plates and layer them between plates while packing and wrap whole stack in newspaper- the dishes moved great and you can use the plates after...

I like this idea.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 6:41 am
amother wrote:
I guess in our case, since we have 2 cars--SUV and Minivan, and we know someone with a van, we'd likely just load a car and take it over to the new place and then start loading the 2nd car etc. and have people at both ends to load/unload. We really don't have extra space--hence the reason why we're moving.

My husband is taking a more "Wait and see approach"--as its still not definite yet-- whereas I'm just so eager to get started b/c I'm more optimistic.
We really need to organize stuff. Find missing pieces to toys etc. Do I start making boxes of "random stuff" so that as we pack we can put the "random stuff with the right categories?

Aside for that. I'm guessing that the stuff out in the open and stuff in the furniture would be packed first--so that more room can be made for more boxes and packing etc. Any other ideas? I'm guessing that stuff in drawers can kind of be left "As is" b/c we can just put the drawers in the vehicles and drive them over. Or no?

So do the organizing now.
Go through all the toys, make sure each container has the right pieces in it only, find the random ones, and place them in their right spot.
Start throwing out and donating the clothes you don't need or never wear.
Sort through the papers now.
The drawers can be wrapped with saran wrap and brought over as is. Depending on the weather, how far the move is, who's bringing it over, that might not even be necessary.
amother wrote:
Another question is what supplies should we start obtaining/buying? Do we need "mattress protectors"? Since we probably won't be able to predict what the weather will be that day.

Can anyone recommend the best way to pack dishes--in regular boxes with bubble wrap? Do we need special packing materials for electronics for such a short move? Trying to keep this a low-cost move.

We bought inexpensive mattress zipper protectors for the move and they were very helpful. We kept the sheets on the mattress so we wouldn't have to redo the beds. And we just ripped the protectors off when we were done.
We used tons of paper towels and newspaper for the dishes.
And mostly we used delivery boxes from the supermarket and bought any extras from them that we needed.

lizard8

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 8:27 am
I agree to start organizing and purging. Once you are ready to pack, you will know everything you have can be put into boxes. It doesn't take so long to pack, the organizing takes much more time.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 9:13 am
When you go grocery shopping have them pack your groceries in boxes instead of shopping bags then break down the boxes neatly so that you can put them back together when packing. Ask all your neighbors to save their delivery boxes as well. We accumulated over 100 boxes that way easily and I just stored it temporarily behind the couch until I began packing. Every day I packed about 2-3 boxes. Begin with stuff you are not using or will not use on the near future.
Pack dishes by layering paper towels between each dish stack about 5 dishes per stack and wrap in shrink wrap. Fill glass mugs or cups with newspaper , stack two together wrap in paper towel and shrink wrap on top. Books and seforim can be wrapped in shrink wrap no need for boxes. Stack them about 6 seforim per stack. Use your linens and towels as cushioning for the dishes and fragile items. Know that you will find towels and linens in a lot of your boxes when unpacking. StAck your packed boxes in a corner of the room until it almost reaches the ceiling. Heavier boxes on the bottom, lighter on top. Do not put heavy boxes on top of boxes with fragile items. Label each box according to room. Kitchen, bathroom, dining room. Master bedroom etc. that way unpacking is more organized doing it room by room. Also label what's inside: kitchen: fleishig pots. , kids room: toys and books etc.

trixx

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 9:34 am
In a carry on pack few days worth essentials for everyone, pj's clothing toiletries etc. Then you have what you need without having to first unpack everything in your new place

imeinu

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 10:33 pm
after the last shabbos home, pack a shabbos box. everything you will need for the next shabbos down to the candles and challah cover.
this way, you have e/t in one place on that first hectic erev shabbos in your new house!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating