Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
WWYD

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 6:09 pm
I had a bag of zucchini that was frozen (solid) when opening the bag (to put it in the pot to make soup) the zucchini went flying out and on to the kitchen floor. Would you use the zucchini or not? Why?

gamanit

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 6:11 pm
I would rinse well and use

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 6:12 pm
I wouldn't
It's gross
Ppl would wash it off and use it I hope they woulnt serve it to company.
Would you want a resturant to serve that to you?

Moonlight

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 6:14 pm
Depends how clean the floor (and zucchini ) were. If my floor was recently mopped , I would wash and use. If not, discard

cnc

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 6:21 pm
amother wrote:
I wouldn't
It's gross

It grows in dirt and mud.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 7:17 pm
Depends on the state of your kitchen floor. If you wash the floor once a week and wear outside shoes indoors, I wouldn't.

But I don't allow outdoor shoes in the house and wash the floor every night, so I probably would wash and use.

nursemomma

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 8:05 pm
Rinse and use. You're going to be cooking it up anyway, and germs still left after rinsing will be killed either way.
For those that would never dare use it, I hope you don't ever buy commercially cooked food (bakery, restaurant etc).

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 8:12 pm
cnc wrote:
It grows in dirt and mud.

True, but it doesn't come out of the ground cut up. That's a lot of exposed surface area that's kind of hard to wash well in its sliced and frozen state.

I agree, if the floor has been recently cleaned and it will cook at high heat, fine. If it's been trampled with dirty sneakers for days - no way.

Last edited by MiracleMama on Sun, Jan 08 2017, 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 8:23 pm
I would wash and use.....

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 9:08 pm
OP here: thanks for all your responses. I rinsed it well and used it (there was A LOT didn't want it going to waste) I figured I was boiling it anyways .....

bluebird

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 9:40 pm
Something to think about for the future: you don't know where your produce has been before purchase. It could have been somewhere dirtier than your floor. Just wash it the same way you would produce you just bought before you use it.

cnc

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 10:38 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
True, but it doesn't come out of the ground cut up. That's a lot of exposed surface area that's kind of hard to wash well in its sliced and frozen state.

I agree, if the floor has been recently cleaned and it will cook at high heat, fine. If it's been trampled with dirty sneakers for days - no way.

I use unpeeled zucchini very often. I wash it with dishwashing soap and water and rinse it very well.
If the above scenario happened to me I would place all the pieces in a container and wash it the same way taking care to rinse off all the soap.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 11:45 pm
amother wrote:
I wouldn't
It's gross

They do. whether you want it or not.

Forrealx

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 3:12 am
Rinse and use it... Like my mom did

saw50st8

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 8:28 am
amother wrote:
They do. whether you want it or not.

Caterers too. I was once working at a simcha and a tray of corned beef fell in the garbage. The boss made us take it out and serve it anyway.

octopus

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 8:32 am
I once saw an onion truck unload in front of a store. A bag of onions must have split, and a whole bunch of rogue onions rolled onto the dirty street. Guess where those onions went? Into the store. Yup. Someone bought them, I'm sure.

zaq

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 11:01 am
octopus wrote:
I once saw an onion truck unload in front of a store. A bag of onions must have split, and a whole bunch of rogue onions rolled onto the dirty street. Guess where those onions went? Into the store. Yup. Someone bought them, I'm sure.

So what? as a previous poster said, they grow in the ground. You think those bagged onions weren't sitting in dirt before or after they were bagged? Think again. In any case, most people peel onions before use. YMMV.

octopus

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 2:56 pm
zaq wrote:
So what? as a previous poster said, they grow in the ground. You think those bagged onions weren't sitting in dirt before or after they were bagged? Think again. In any case, most people peel onions before use. YMMV.

My point was exactly your point. If you think the veggies you are getting in the store are so clean...think again.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen