Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Does going to sleep with a bottle cause ear inf?

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 7:36 pm
Heard this a long time ago and never gave any extra thought To it. All my kids went to sleep beautifully with a pacifier, but this baby will only take a bottle. As much as I hate it and I'm against it, I feel like I've got no other choice! Today he's having a double ear infection and cries in bed. Wish I can wean him!! I already tried letting him cry for few nights but he's really stubborn!! Should I continue giving bottles with just water? What should I do??

flowerpower

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 7:38 pm
You can give bottles. Just make sure he doesn't drink it laying flat. Put a pillow or something.

imasinger

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 7:48 pm
Just water is a very good idea.

I don't know about the ears, but going to sleep with a bottle of anything besides water is really bad for the teeth.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 8:03 pm
Ok. A pillow shouldn't be too hard. Thanks. But water bottle he just throws down! How bad is a drop of juice? My other kids have bad colored teeth and never went to sleep with bottles.

mamallama

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 8:04 pm
When my baby was getting many ear infections, my pediatrician said to stop all bottles and pacifiers in crib. It was very challenging to stop but we did it and the ear infections stopped too. IIRC the reason was the sucking -- it had nothing to do with milk vs. water in the bottle. We had to stop pacifiers too.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 8:24 pm
amother wrote:
Ok. A pillow shouldn't be too hard. Thanks. But water bottle he just throws down! How bad is a drop of juice? My other kids have bad colored teeth and never went to sleep with bottles.

One drop of juice diluted with a lot of water is okay. Make sure to take the botztle out of his mouth once he is sleeping. Some kids fall asleep like that and the bottle just tends to stay in the mouth. You can slowly try giving a sippy cup instead of a bottle and see if he takes it. They tend to drink less with a sippy cup.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 9:47 pm
As previous posters said, its they laying down. Can you try the sugar free flavored seltzer diluted? Id try a drop less flavoring every night until your down to water.

I have a water only rule in my house.
On shabbos you get juice. Sometimes midweek as a treat I can give juice. But one of my kids actually prefer water!

Midday it's also only water in the bottle

This shabbos I had my niece over, she cried for a juice bottle. But I couldn't give her juice and not my kids and I didn't want to break the water only rule (on shabbos they get juice in a cup. Not bottle). She didn't drink all friday afternoon. Before bed, she finally broke and drank it all. The next day she didn't even kvetch for water. Smile

Try getting him used to only water in the bottle. You can do formula or whatever in a sippy cup daytime but bottles and bed and water.

I never find pacis to be an issue. It was the fluid not going down properly and building up in the ears

amother
Green

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 8:13 am
amother wrote:
As previous posters said, its they laying down. Can you try the sugar free flavored seltzer diluted? Id try a drop less flavoring every night until your down to water.

I have a water only rule in my house.
On shabbos you get juice. Sometimes midweek as a treat I can give juice. But one of my kids actually prefer water!

Midday it's also only water in the bottle

This shabbos I had my niece over, she cried for a juice bottle. But I couldn't give her juice and not my kids and I didn't want to break the water only rule (on shabbos they get juice in a cup. Not bottle). She didn't drink all friday afternoon. Before bed, she finally broke and drank it all. The next day she didn't even kvetch for water. Smile

Try getting him used to only water in the bottle. You can do formula or whatever in a sippy cup daytime but bottles and bed and water.

I never find pacis to be an issue. It was the fluid not going down properly and building up in the ears

No need for sugar free for a toddler
As a pp said a little bit of juice diluted in a lot of water is good

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 1:24 pm
DS was getting constant ear infections from laying in bed with a spill proof sippy cup. We switched to a straw cup, where he would have to sit up to drink, and the ear infections stopped.

Also, definitely wean him off the juice - dilute it more and more until it is just water. My kids only got water and still only drink water except for some times when we buy juice for shabbos.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics