Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
105 fever, cold symptoms - emergency or morning?

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 10:48 pm
6 year old with what seems to be a bad cold since Sunday morning. It's almost 2 AM and I'm bombed because I was up all night worrying about her last night too. But that was with a much lower fever. She was about 103.5 earlier today and advil helped a lot, just now I checked again (using ear thermometer) and it said 104.6. I gave her tylenol (because no advil on empty stomach.) Should I worry or wait until the doctor's office opens in the morning?

I get too nervous about this DD because she has had pneumonia twice already, once recently. But last night I panicked because of that and took her to the ER and they said she was fine. I don't want to put us all through that again just out of anxiety, but on the other hand her fever is so much higher now. Her breathing doesn't seem any noisier than a regular cold, and she says she can sleep comfortably besides for her runny/stuffy nose. She looks OK now, I just worry so much in middle of the night because if I go to sleep I sleep deeply (so does DH) and wouldn't even know if there's a problem in middle of the night. And that's plenty of time for something like a breathing issue to go downhill.

I don't know if I'm just traumatized by the previous pneumonia episode (it was really alarming, she went from "probably just a cold" to "are you crazy, mother, why didn't you call hatzolah by now" in about 8 hours - from morning to suppertime) or if I'm legitimately being overcautious with this one.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 11:15 pm
Update half hour post Tylenol she's down to 103.3 and seems to be breathing more comfortably too. So I'm going to try for some sleep because at this point I'm the one starting to feel sick from exhaustion.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 11:19 pm
I think you can give ibuprofen together with Tylenol to knock down a fever. And for little kids for a short time you don't have to worry about the empty stomach thing.

BTW I'm not a doctor.

asp40

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 3:56 am
This is when you call your doctor and ask them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics