Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
Working and a newborn

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 12:48 pm
I've been working from home for a few years, usually from 9-3 and sometimes at night as well. I had a baby a few weeks ago and took off some time from work. But now that I'm working again I feel like I can't get anything done. My baby only takes 45 minute naps.

Any advice?

tichellady

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 1:08 pm
I don't think it's realistic to work full time while home with a newborn. You will probably need to work less or hire someone to watch your baby.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 1:18 pm
Yes. Work after your baby is in for the night.
There is no way for you to work 9-3 with a newborn!
I am a work at home mom. I get about an hour or two done during the day when baby naps, and have to save the rest for the night after baby is in for the night.
Eventually at 9-12 months I decided to send to a babysitter so I can get more done during the day.

sky

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 1:27 pm
I returned to work at home at about 6 weeks a few times with my baby at home. Its doable depending on what you need to get done. If you have to be on the phone then I can hear it being nearly impossible. but if its computer work then it takes getting used to a semi-routine assuming your baby isn't too difficult.
nursing - I can nurse my baby and work. she is right now 10 months and I'm nursing her now and typing at my full speed. It takes some getting used to but can be done.
I kept a bassinet, baby swing, and baby bouncer near my desk. and would move her around. As she got older I switched it around to include a jumperoo and floor toys and mats. But at the real newborn stage she did sleep a lot even if it was interrupted. and she was easy enough that I could hold her while typing and not worry about her sending an e-mail too early, spilling my water on my keyboard, and all the other mischief she does now on my lap.
In the beginning it always seemed impossible and stressful but after the first few days it always seems to figure itself out. I think it depends a lot on the work and both of your temperaments.

nicole81

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 1:29 pm
amother wrote:
Yes. Work after your baby is in for the night.

LOL what newborns go so nicely in for the night? Lucky parents...

For the first 5-6 weeks, my babies are up and down regularly, no sense of naps, and maybe sleep for 2-3 hours in one stretch at night. I could not imagine working under those conditions.

I did work from home when my second was born, and I went back at 3 or 4 weeks postpartum. I had a full time babysitter in the house who took the baby from me and brought her to nurse while I was working. That was the only way I could work. Babies require full time care, and it doesn't make sense that one would be able to take care of their newborn and work full time simultaneously.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 10:54 pm
I agree with everyone who says it doesn't sound so realistic.

Sky, how do you type full-speed while nursing? Do you use a carrier?

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 12:57 am
Working with a newborn is easier than with an older child as long as you can nurse while you work. If you can nurse and have somewhere safe to put the baby down nearby then you should be fine unless you have a colicky baby.

Once a child is moving around or noisy or more demanding of your attention then it becomes much much more difficult. That's when you need to rely on scheduled naps.

If you need to work those specific hours then you may eventually need an extra pair of hands at home or to send your baby out. If your hours are flexible then you can spread the work out more and do an hour or two at a time throughout the day and evening.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 4:11 am
Try to wear the baby
Use a baby seat that you can put next to you
It's really tough though
Good luck!

Last edited by amother on Mon, Feb 12 2018, 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

sky

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 9:55 am
I find baby wearing when sitting uncomfortable. I'm able to balance the baby on my arm as I type - it takes some practice.
When baby just wants to be held I can balance leaning on my arm when typing or lay across my legs. As I said my baby is now 10 months - time flies - its scary how hard it is to remember now what it was like 7 months ago.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers