Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Detroit - schools, neighbourhoods, housing costs?

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 7:46 am
There is a small chance that we will be moving to Detroit in the summer. What can you tell me about schools, neighborhoods, housing costs, etc? We would most likely be renting & would ideally want a 3-4 bedroom house.

As for schools, we are probably more on the yeshivish side of things. We only have girls & will need info on both elementary & high schools.

Thanks for any advice you can give me!

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 9:21 am
amother wrote:
There is a small chance that we will be moving to Detroit in the summer. What can you tell me about schools, neighborhoods, housing costs, etc? We would most likely be renting & would ideally want a 3-4 bedroom house.

As for schools, we are probably more on the yeshivish side of things. We only have girls & will need info on both elementary & high schools.

Thanks for any advice you can give me!

Schools are good. There are two yeshivish schools. Both have boys and girls divisions from pre-school - 8 for boys and 12 for girls. Both have a mix of parents. Darchei Torah is the newer school and a "no TV" school. There are still plenty of yeshivish parents in the older school Bais Yehuda - children of teachers and the school kollel members, and people who feel it's the best option for their children, or certain children.

The neighborhoods are two adjacent northern suburbs of Detroit called Oak Park and Southfield. If you would buy a house, you'd probably want to look at the southwest corner of Ten Mile and Greenfield in Southfield, but to rent, you could rent there or Oak Park. If in OP, you might be more comfortable in Oak Park on the southeast corner of Ten and Greenfield. You'll find 3+ bedrooms in both places. I don't know what you could expect to pay.

I have to go now but hope I got the conversation going.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 10:12 am
This is a great community! As poster above mentioned we have two great school choices. Darchei is a little more yeshivish in terms of what the hanhallah want it to be and the girls are on a higher academic standard. It's more of an out of town school and kind of like one big family. Bais yakkov is a bit more of a community school. It's a bigger school, more professional, often upgrading facilities and such. Less homey. Both schools are growing.

Overall this is a nice friendly warm community. Lots of young families. A few kosher places to eat. One kosher grocery but it is a really great one. Not out of town in the sense that Cholov yisroel is hard to get. Very nice mikvah. Lots of shuls. Two adult and two children jewish clothes stores. I also find that there are a lot of events going on to meet up with people.

Houses are cheap. A 3 bedroom ranch goes for bout 160k. 4 bedroom colonial probably more like 200k at this point. Lots of greenery. Very suburban.

The people here are mostly kollel Rebbe families or professionals. And housing area is kind of split that way. we don't have a big entrepenorial group like the tristate area. No chassidish community. Maybe a bit chossid or two.

Tuition is expensive. Like 10k for highschool. But it's kind of income based because the tution committees work with you.

Good luck.

shmaichul

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 10:30 am
amother wrote:

Houses are cheap. A 3 bedroom ranch goes for bout 160k. 4 bedroom colonial probably more like 200k at this point. Lots of greenery. Very suburban.

The people here are mostly kollel Rebbe families or professionals. And housing area is kind of split that way. we don't have a big entrepenorial group like the tristate area. No chassidish community. Maybe a bit chossid or two.

Good luck.

I agree with everything you wrote besides for the housing costs... A ranch in oak Park with 3 bedrooms you can probably get for about that but once your looking at 4 bedrooms especially a colonial in Southfield it's at least 250-275.

Detroit is a really great community, out of town but has pretty much anything you would need.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 1:26 pm
There is a 4 bedroom available for sale for $189,000. (It was available Chanukah time, I do not think it sold yet). It is in Oak Park and the girls school is a block away. It also has a 2 car garage in the back.

queenert

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 1:30 pm
Quote:
Darchei...the girls are on a higher academic standard.

Disagree with above...

Also, the neighborhoods are expanding so there are a number of areas to look into beyond the SW 10 Mi/Gfld corner.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating