Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Teacher certification NY

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 12:59 pm
I have a weird situation regarding teacher certification. In 2010 I completed the coursework and student teaching for initial advanced certification. However, I wasn't sure I wanted to teach and never took the certification exams. In 2012 I was hired to teach in a yeshiva and completed an MA in my subject area. At the end of the 2015 school year, I decided I didn't want to teach anymore. However, I'd still like to get my certification because some of the jobs I'm interested in require it. How do I do this now? Can I just take the exams? I don't want to have to redo coursework and definitely don't want to do any fieldwork as I am done teaching. I tried checking the NYSED website and find it confusing and difficult to navigate. Does anyone know how I can complete my certification?

miami85

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 2:24 pm
I think you can just take them, try applying for the tests. I know someone who took years to pass the LAST, dont see why you should have a problem.

octopus

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 2:33 pm
You need to find out if the requirements for the ny certification have changed. You might be missing a course or two. In any case, you would have to take the tests. Also you need the non-credit workshops (don't know how many there are these days). You should really call your college and ask them these questions. They ought to help you and tell you if you are missing anything.

seeker

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 4:03 pm
Call NYSED and talk to them. It may be an issue that you did the coursework and student teaching such a long time ago.

octopus

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 4:22 pm
seeker wrote:
Call NYSED and talk to them. It may be an issue that you did the coursework and student teaching such a long time ago.

While in theory calling NYSED should make sense, the op will likely spend an hour (or longer) waiting on hold and talk to someone who has no idea what they are talking about. Have you ever called NYSED with a question regarding certification? I have. They are not helpful.

To op: When I applied for my NYS certification, I had to notify my college, and they helped me. There should be someone in the college that helps students apply for certification. That would be the person to talk to. I, too, had a gap between taking coursework and applying for certification. It didn't matter that there was a gap between my coursework and applying for certification because non of the requirements had changed in the interim. However, I'm pretty sure the course work changed around the 2012 year mark. So you really should make sure that you are not missing courses.

seeker

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 4:58 pm
I'm trying to remember who I called that was helpful. I definitely wasted enough of my life on the four-hour-hold-line but IIRC there was another one. Also, sometimes you get lucky, and when you have a very individualized question then they are pretty helpful. You can also try email, it's a little hit or miss whether it will be helpful but it doesn't involve waiting on hold forever.

Some colleges are more helpful than others but OP could try that route.

There were definitely changes since 2010.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 1:30 pm
So I called my college and it seems I just need one course and a couple of half day seminars, plus taking the exams which I can do whenever I want. I can manage that. The only problem is something called the edtap. Can someone explain what that is? It sound like basically student teaching all over again except I could probably do it in a month? I really don't want to teach, but can suck it up for a month or 2 if I really have to. What exactly is edtap?

working hard

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 1:35 pm
A crazy test. Go on to the website and read the instructions. Have fun and ask all your questions.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 3:38 pm
I know. Website doesn't seem very clear. It seems some sort of school placement is involved? Does it take an entire semester to do?

octopus

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 7:11 pm
amother wrote:
So I called my college and it seems I just need one course and a couple of half day seminars, plus taking the exams which I can do whenever I want. I can manage that. The only problem is something called the edtap. Can someone explain what that is? It sound like basically student teaching all over again except I could probably do it in a month? I really don't want to teach, but can suck it up for a month or 2 if I really have to. What exactly is edtap?

Thanks for updating this thread! So glad that your college was able to help. The edtap is after my time, so I can't help you there! Good luck on your teacher certification! It's totally worth it to go out and do it. You put the time, money, and effort in . Education is never a waste. You will always have this in your back pocket.

Smilesnow

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 7:17 pm
The edtpa is basically an online portfolio where you make three lessons, video yourself and analyze your teaching while addressing the specific questions provided to you. It's really just tedious and long. Not hard.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics