Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Fish kirschenbaum guide to wedding management
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

mommy2379

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 10:48 pm
seeker wrote:
It was also epic because it really shook up the Jewish literary scene. Opened a new arena and raised the bar overnight. We'd never seen anything like it at all. Now there are a few authors spinning off on that. Leah Gebber comes to mind, though for all I know she may have been there all along and I never noticed.

Right- that story was revolutionary, the excitement was tangible. Yes, Leah Gebber is also fantastic, I feel like she started around the same time as EGS but I could be wrong.

workaholicmama

Post Tue, Dec 20 2016, 1:43 am
Every Chanuka I think about this story... I've shared my dog eared Binah with my sisters who usually dont read it, that this story was a must read...it was in 3 parts, right? Would love to reread it now!!! Please, does anyone out there still have it???

Amelia Bedelia

Post Tue, Dec 20 2016, 2:11 am
seeker wrote:
I guess it's a style thing because I lost interest in Libby Lazewnik about ten years ago. She is a good writer and I did thoroughly enjoy many of her books but I'm just not into it anymore.

I'm not finding Fish too drawn out because there's a lot to enjoy along the way, but I do see why others who like more driven plots would feel that way. There were a few chapters that felt like "that's it?" but overall I'm just enjoying it so much. All the personalities are great.

We do have some loose ends that need follow-up:
The duck sauce.
The shidduch business.
The lavender kippas/ties and the whole Holtz affair, which had some kind of teaser this week, and I'm just grateful that at least the teaser left off with a little clue rather than a total cliffhanger.
Tzedakah Yankel's backstory plus the related reliability of the Italian cousins.
More follow-up is needed on Zell and his "victim," even though we've already had hints of improvement.

I just can't get enough of the character development and complexity. I thought I enjoyed the Family First bullying serial a couple of years ago, and I did, and it was a nice serial novel, light reading with a message - but can't hold a candle to the nuance and depth of this story. Plus the dash of humor!

The Grey Lines was similarly awesome but with the switch from historical to contemporary you get a very different angle.

I agree with your thoughts on Libby Lazewnik, although I loved her stories as a kid and still think the Shira series is great.

And I enjoy Etka Gitel's stories as a whole, but I'm not so crazy about this serial, although the characterization is great. I loved Shortchanged.

ttbtbm

Post Tue, Dec 20 2016, 4:32 am
I haven't read through this thread. No time. But saw the title and had to comment because I'm enjoying this story very much! Each one of Etka Gittel's pieces is excellent and a fantastic read! Keep writing! Please!

Aetrsnrady

Post Tue, Dec 20 2016, 8:51 am
I love it! It's the first thing I read each week. Often I'm disappointed that serials go too quickly without developing the plot enough. We sped up a bit by fast forwarding to the conversation between Esti and Fish, rather than having it written in detail.
I really hope Butch marries Mrs Blum's daughter or that at least they both get married by the end of the serial. I'm wondering if Holtz will not allow Yankel at the wedding...
It's great to have a modern day serial by EGS! Don't rush Scotty

debsey

Post Tue, Dec 20 2016, 8:55 am
But what's with the duck sauce?! That's what we're all really wondering.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Dec 20 2016, 9:24 am
Oh how I hope this will be published as a book...I've read bits and pieces here and there but would love the whole story...oh and you can even add some more chapters or something else as you've done with your other books...

SYA

Post Tue, Dec 20 2016, 12:53 pm
What year was the chanukah story in Binah?

booboo24

Post Mon, Dec 26 2016, 6:28 am
Ok what does tzedakah yankel know that we don't!!!

pizza4

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 4:04 pm
Omg what did they find in mitnick's old office? Could it be paul the contractor's doing? Or the duck sauce? I just have to know... how could you leave us hanging like that??

seeker

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 6:07 pm
I haven't read this week's installment yet, but so far the inventory in Mitnick's office is the leftover carpeting, the fridge for the leftovers, and the shidduch files... how big is the place?!

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 7:56 am
Where is this serial printed? Never heard of it. I love Etka Gittel Schwartz, is she the author?

pizza4

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 2:13 pm
amother wrote:
Where is this serial printed? Never heard of it. I love Etka Gittel Schwartz, is she the author?

Yes, in binah magazine

booboo24

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 2:28 pm
Something is shady with mitnicks office. I also love the idea of the kleinbogen fund 😜

seeker

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 3:17 pm
I was going to say "me too" but if I started naming all the things I love about this story I would never get anything else done. I am eating it up. I can't think of any book or story anywhere, ever, with such a compelling cast of characters. The only thing I don't love is the melodramatic cliffhangers, which anyway won't be a problem when the book comes out.

Can't wait to find out the duck sauce backstory. But I'm assuming that's only going to happen at the very end.

So, should we take bets on the big surprise in Mitnick's office? Did they just discover the full scope of the shidduch operation that the ladies were hiding, or is it something new? Is it something boring like a leak in the ceiling and the drama is just because that's what the writer likes to do, or is it a genuine surprise?

penguin

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 3:28 pm
I'm going to go with a sculpture made of hardened duck sauce.

sky

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 4:29 pm
Definitely something is going to go down with Mitnicks office
Something will go wrong with the contractors
And an exciting unexpected shidduch with Mrs Blum's daughter - I want to say with Jack - but I don't think they are a match.
And Holtz's wedding will be a success, probably Jack will end up being the lead singer after a last minute disaster\emergency.

pizza4

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 6:25 pm
Oh the kleinbogus will need to have some kind of showdown with david. Does he suspect something?

seeker

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 9:11 pm
I feel like we had a teaser about Jack when Holtz said he's not their exclusive - like maybe he will be another tactic to draw people to Fradl? Or maybe it was just what it was, an indication of how his talent is coming out.

Yeah I think running Kleinbogen under the table is not great judgment, hope it doesn't run into any legal troubles.

dietcokeaddict

Post Sat, Jan 21 2017, 11:04 pm
Ho boy, David is so not going to be okay with his hall turning into a chessed center...is that the big blow up Scotty was hinting at?
Page 3 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room