Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Fake news
1  2  3  Next

ectomorph

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 9:53 am
Do you think Trump should defend himself from fake news on Twitter, or is it undignified?

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 10:03 am
I don't think Trump should be on twitter at all.
I think it is childish, completely unprofessional and totally undignified not to mention un-presidential.

pause

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 10:11 am
While I disagreed about many of Obama's policies, one thing you gotta hand to him: He always acted dignified. No scandals or morally inappropriate behavior - as a president, husband, and father.

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 10:23 am
HonesttoGod wrote:
I don't think Trump should be on twitter at all.
I think it is childish, completely unprofessional and totally undignified not to mention un-presidential.

I think one of the reasons he tweets so much is to snub the mainstream media who were and continue to be awful to him. In this way he can make announcements at will without calling a press conference and dealing with them.

I think it's smart of him to do this. Though I do think he should stay away from comments that are petty retaliations. Meryl Streep and fake news is all best ignored.

pause

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 10:26 am
MiracleMama wrote:
I think one of the reasons he tweets so much is to snub the mainstream media who were and continue to be awful to him. In this way he can make announcements at will without calling a press conference and dealing with them.

I think it's smart of him to do this. Though I do think he should stay away from comments that are petty retaliations. Meryl Streep and fake news is all best ignored.
I don't think he has the self-control to do that.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 11:16 am
pause wrote:
I don't think he has the self-control to do that.

I had hoped I wouldn't be agreeing with you.
Some say that he knows exactly what he's doing and it's all carefully calculated. I don't think so.
I remember when he said that once he becomes president he'll be so boring we'll something or other. Hasn't happened yet and I don't think it's going to start at bein hashmashos of Jan. 20, 2017.

Fox

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 12:00 pm
I don't think this has anything to do with Trump. While Clinton's technophobia might have precluded her utilizing social media aggressively had she won the election, it would only have been a matter of time. If not Trump or Clinton tweeting, Facebooking, or Gabbing, it would be the next president.

Thomas Friedman wrote The World Is Flat back in 2005, but apparently a lot of people praised the book and then promptly forgot what he said. So now they're shocked, just shocked, that he was correct about how the Internet and cell phone service has democratized the distribution of information.

President Theodore Roosevelt was the first U.S. president to ride in a car, and he received plenty of criticism for doing so. People in the horse and carriage industries were especially offended by such an egregious lack of decorum. But we can easily look back and see that the popularity of automobiles would have continued to pick up momentum even if Roosevelt had stuck to traveling via a dignified nag.

Just like the horse-and-buggy crowd during Roosevelt's administration, the people who make their livings selling information are very unhappy with Trump's use of Twitter. Well, of course they are! Cui bono?! Why will I need the Washington Press Corps to tell me what Sean Spicer says? He can tweet it, Facebook it, Instagram it, Snapchat it, or Gab it. And then I can discuss it and even tweet back questions.

However, people who'd grown up driving teams of horses had to learn to drive cars. We're the same -- we have to learn to be our own gatekeepers and learn how to process the huge amounts of information dumped on us, including so-called fake news.

I personally find it incredibly exciting and humbling to be alive during the second "information reformation" -- the first being the development of Gutenberg's printing press. How many people have lived through the kinds of changes in the distribution of information that have taken place in the last 25 years?

Trump or no Trump, the information horse has left the barn. The traditional gatekeepers -- news publishers and broadcasters -- are in the unenviable position occupied by the Roman Catholic Church when Gutenberg's press made it possible for people to access books.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 12:20 pm
Fox wrote:
I don't think this has anything to do with Trump. While Clinton's technophobia might have precluded her utilizing social media aggressively had she won the election, it would only have been a matter of time. If not Trump or Clinton tweeting, Facebooking, or Gabbing, it would be the next president.
SNIP

In fact, the horse left the barn some time ago, for those who are not aware that President Obama -- or someone on his behalf -- has long tweeted under the handle @POTUS. I'm sure that most politicians use Twitter and other social media platforms to some degree. Clinton used @HillaryClinton. Bernie Sanders is @SenSanders (at least he's not ColSanders). Andrew Cuomo is @NYGovCuomo. Rahm Emanuel uses both @RahmEmanuel and @ChicagosMayor.

Trump's use is very different from that of most (perhaps all) politicians, in that it is colloquial and often incendiary. So its not that he's doing something different from anyone else, its that he's doing what everyone does in a different way.

Fox

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 12:32 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Trump's use is very different from that of most (perhaps all) politicians, in that it is colloquial and often incendiary. So its not that he's doing something different from anyone else, its that he's doing what everyone does in a different way.

Agreed. Though I think Trump's colloquialism and potential for craziness distinguished him from the more tepid pronouncements that had been coming from most public figures. I notice that Sanders's tweets have become a lot more in-your-face in the past few months.

It's interesting that a Republican candidate drove the aggressive use of social media -- albeit an outsider Republican. The Democrats owned technology in the 90s -- their database design was considered the gold standard within the FoxPro development world at the time. Hard to change tires on a moving vehicle.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 12:48 pm
Fox wrote:
Agreed. Though I think Trump's colloquialism and potential for craziness distinguished him from the more tepid pronouncements that had been coming from most public figures. I notice that Sanders's tweets have become a lot more in-your-face in the past few months.

It's interesting that a Republican candidate drove the aggressive use of social media -- albeit an outsider Republican. The Democrats owned technology in the 90s -- their database design was considered the gold standard within the FoxPro development world at the time. Hard to change tires on a moving vehicle.

IMNSHO, Sanders is the flip side of Trump, albeit with a filter. So I'm not surprised to see strident tweets from him.

WhatFor

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 1:10 pm
Well Trump just refused to take a question from CNN at his press conference, calling them "Fake News". He also said that BuzzFeed was going to see consequences (for disseminating the unsubstantiated report).
In that way, I guess he is responding to "fake news".

trixx

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 1:14 pm
Fox wrote:

Thomas Friedman wrote The World Is Flat back in 2005, but apparently a lot of people praised the book and then promptly forgot what he said. So now they're shocked, just shocked, that he was correct about how the Internet and cell phone service has democratized the distribution of information.

President Theodore Roosevelt was the first U.S. president to ride in a car, and he received plenty of criticism for doing so. People in the horse and carriage industries were especially offended by such an egregious lack of decorum. But we can easily look back and see that the popularity of automobiles would have continued to pick up momentum even if Roosevelt had stuck to traveling via a dignified nag.

Just like the horse-and-buggy crowd during Roosevelt's administration, the people who make their livings selling information are very unhappy with Trump's use of Twitter. Well, of course they are! Cui bono?! Why will I need the Washington Press Corps to tell me what Sean Spicer says? He can tweet it, Facebook it, Instagram it, Snapchat it, or Gab it. And then I can discuss it and even tweet back questions.

However, people who'd grown up driving teams of horses had to learn to drive cars. We're the same -- we have to learn to be our own gatekeepers and learn how to process the huge amounts of information dumped on us, including so-called fake news.

I personally find it incredibly exciting and humbling to be alive during the second "information reformation" -- the first being the development of Gutenberg's printing press. How many people have lived through the kinds of changes in the distribution of information that have taken place in the last 25 years?

Trump or no Trump, the information horse has left the barn. The traditional gatekeepers -- news publishers and broadcasters -- are in the unenviable position occupied by the Roman Catholic Church when Gutenberg's press made it possible for people to access books.

This was such an enjoyable read Fox

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 1:30 pm
trixx wrote:
This was such an enjoyable read Fox

Fox is always enjoyable. She's my girl crush! Wink

Fox

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 1:35 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Fox is always enjoyable. She's my girl crush! Wink

You know I'm loyal to my girl, Ms. Blaire!

Unless a luxury handbag is changing hands. Then I'm kinda easy, TBH.

Fox

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 1:41 pm
WhatFor wrote:
Well Trump just refused to take a question from CNN at his press conference, calling them "Fake News". He also said that BuzzFeed was going to see consequences (for disseminating the unsubstantiated report).

No love lost for CNN or Buzzfeed among journalists today. They just made it a million times harder for the press to hold the Trump administration accountable.

Conservative Twitter and Gab can't decide whether to bask in the schadenfreude of CNN's meltdown; worry over who will watch the henhouse; or groan over the softball tossed by Breitbart's Matt Boyle.

UPDATE: Thrown Under the Bus!

Looks like CNN just threw Buzzfeed under the bus. CNN just tweeted:

Quote:
CNN’s decision to publish carefully sourced reporting about the operations of our government is vastly different than BuzzFeed’s decision to publish unsubstantiated memos. The Trump team knows this. They are using BuzzFeed’s decision to deflect from CNN’s reporting, which has been matched by the other major news organisations.

No wonder soap operas have all but died out! How could they compete with this kind of drama?!

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 2:19 pm
pause wrote:
While I disagreed about many of Obama's policies, one thing you gotta hand to him: He always acted dignified. No scandals or morally inappropriate behavior - as a president, husband, and father.

Your idea and my idea of dignified are different. Obama acted inappropriately with a certain blond taking selfies with her ignoring his wife leaving Michelle visibly fuming. Even Bill didn't do this publicly to Hillary. There are rumors of affairs. One as with Caroline Kennedy. He admitted to using cocaine and smoking pot. His daughter was photographed with a joint and drinking under age. The first family spent around $100,000,000 personal luxurious vacations on the taxpayers' backs.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 3:17 pm
WhatFor wrote:

Just heard a soundbite. Was it CNN who said, "That's not appropriate, Mr. Trump"?

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 3:18 pm
Fox wrote:
No wonder soap operas have all but died out! How could they compete with this kind of drama?!

Reality shows are cheaper to produce.
Hey, POTUS only makes 400K a year Tongue Out

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 3:19 pm
Squishy wrote:
The first family spent around $100,000,000 personal luxurious vacations on the taxpayers' backs.

I wonder how much the new first family shuttling will cost this year, since the first lady and youngest son will be in NY.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 3:38 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
I wonder how much the new first family shuttling will cost this year, since the first lady and youngest son will be in NY.

Its costing NY over $1 million per DAY. So if Baron stays in his NY school until the end of the school year, it will cost NY (in addition to what it is costing the federal government) more than 8 years of Obama vacations. His Thanksgiving trip to Florida alone cost taxpayers $7 million.

Bush took over twice the number of vacation days as did Obama. But Obama is from Hawaii, not Texas.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics