Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
DIY bedroom makover - small budget

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 10:47 pm
I wasn't sure under which forum to post and I wanted to go anon.
Hope its ok.

Hi!
So we are finally turning our house into a home!
Excited!
Problem is, we don't have a lot of that kind of paper called MONEY. We can buy two $200 headboards but the ones I liked were more in the range of $600 +. Now double that.

I'd rather have some fun with dh and my siblings doing some diy even though I don't love it. then paying for something I don't love. Same with furniture and wall painings.
I actually just got a canvas oil painting for the kitchen. After looking for one for a very long time, finally found something I loved. It makes such a huge difference.

so here's the thing.

We have a 16' × 12' large master bedroom.
In that room we have:
2 Full beds (54")
1 cherry wood 6 drawer dresser between the beds (walmart 80 bucks or so dh assembled)
1 hand me down fancy Italian armoire also cherry wood
That's it.

No headboards. No bed skirts. No curtains.
Nothing.

Here are my thoughts.

I ordered some foam and batting for DIY headbords.
Dh will bring home from work boards for backing.
I have an old brocade (sp?) fabric linen set that the backing is all scratchy. I was gonna make a table cloth out of it but I think ill use it for the upholstery for the headboards and make some curtains out of it too. I sewed that linen set some 10 or so years ago. I still have some scrap fabric to play around with so I'll have enough.

The color is cream with a peach undertone.

I was thinking od painting and/or wallpapering the dresser and armoire.

We hopefully will buy nice headboards and a little sofa and new dressers one day in the near future. But we've been living here for 2+ years (we were renting a furnished for many years before moving here. We are trying to tighten our belts to eventually buy a house.
So for now home depot and home goods are my friends.

My question.

What do I do with the furniture I currently have, paint? Wallpaper? Both? colors/patterns/designs?
Bed skirts? I saw cheap ones in amazon. What color? Style? Do I do same as the headboards or a different color.
What accent color do I do? Should I do one at all? I was thinking maybe seafoam. My favorite linen is cream and seafoam.
What do I do in the walls? They are white and bare. And HUGE. 16' x 12' and a 9.5' ceiling no closets as we have a single door to vanity/bathroom/large hanging closet-room.
We need the armoire because its where I keep the kids stuff. And the dresser has dhs and my non hanging stuff. So there are these two dark ugsly wooden things. And huge empty white walls.

I was also thinking area rugs.
But it has to be practical with little kids. And I hate dark.

With my kids rooms it was so easy. And here I'm stuck.

So. Any suggestions?

imeinu

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 11:10 pm
go with solid colored curtains with a sheer under it to let in the light. I'm not much of a seafoam person, I prefer beiges and greys, but if you like looking at the color, it can def. go with peach/cream. The color of the curtains doesnt have to be so light, as in its open position, you dont see all that much of it and it will add a pop of color. If your walls are white and solid, try getting very long curtains and hanging them very high - almost to the ceiling and it can really break up that white space.
Fill your wall space with a wedding picture in a big frame, a mirror in a compatible frame and a painting or 2 if it is in the budget. amazing savings has nice mirrors sometimes.
go with a cream solid bedskirt that will compliment all your linens.
rather than paint the dressers, lay a runner on top of the one between the beds. Put on 2 lamps with pretty shades to draw your eye away from the wood.
With everything going on in the room, you may not even notice the other dresser. I dont like painted wood, and once you do it you are stuck so my opinion is to live with it for now and when you are in a more permanent place re-asess.
good luck & have fun!!

rachel6543

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 11:16 pm
Check out IKEA for floor rugs. You can sometimes get on sale rugs from $10 - $30 range. I have a dark Navy blue carpet in my bedroom from Ikea and it was about $30 and I just replaced the area rug in my office for a $10 gray rug I found there on clearance.

For bed skirts, window treatments... See if there is an Anna's Linen's in your area. You can sometimes find good deals there and they have a large selection of colors. Otherwise, I would check out outlet stores like Ross or Marshall's. Also, Bed Bath & beyond is great if you can find something on clearance and then use the 20% coupon on top of that.

allcuteonesrtak

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 12:24 pm
amother wrote:

1 hand me down fancy Italian armoire also cherry wood

is the armoire antique, or just hand me down?

if its antique, it might be worth something, you can sell it and use the money for contemporary pieces that are cheaper..

glamourmom

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 12:26 pm
I second Ikea. they have cool stuff at great pricing.
also, google DIY bedrooms. youtube has some amazing tutorials.

eschaya

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 12:30 pm
You can give the room and inexpensive uplift with fun paint. Try a colorful accent wall, then get linens and other decor to match.

glamourmom

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 12:34 pm
and cheap decals add a lot of personality. amazon has really nice ones. elegant, sleek, funky or cool. can really provide a finishing touch.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics