Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Ugh! Eighteen People for Shabbos Lunch MENU HELP!
1  2  Next

ValleyMom

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 10:52 am
I work full time and generally try not to have such a HUGE crowd in the winter months but this is a simchah weekend- 18 people for lunch/2 birthdays...

I need your tried and true yummy shabbos lunch recipe suggestions ASAP.

I bought lots of chicken- how should I cook it- I need some recipes

I'm making a big meat cholent.

I'm going to make a lot of "baby hot dogs" for the kids.

I'm making 2 deli rolls.

Gefilta fish and green salad

I need some side dishes...

Do you have any easy dessert ideas- or I am doing a bakery run. My cousin is bringing birthday cake. Is that enough? I cannot cut a fruit platter- :-(

I bought butternut squash- do you have a good huge can you share a recipe for butternut squash something...
OMIGOD trying not to stress-- and I have an airport run Thursday night aaarrrggghhh!!!

ValleyMom

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 11:00 am
Seriously need suggestions

lfab

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 11:13 am
Try to make sides that don't really require any extra work to make more of. For example, orzo, green beans (use frozen so you don't need to wash etc.), rice, etc. It's just a matter of doubling or tripling your regular recipe but no extra work is required. For dessert a birthday cake is enough. If you're worried pick up some pareve ice cream or sorbet to serve with it.

cm

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 11:33 am
Of course you're not cutting up a fruit platter. If you want fruit, purchase a prepared fruit platter or a big bag of clementines. They look beautiful heaped in serving bowls, require no prep and are easy for guests to peel at the table. If you leave them out in the afternoon, your overnight guests will munch on them leaving you little-to-no leftovers to deal with.

Raisin

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 11:39 am
Butternut squash souffle http://www.joyofkosher.com/rec.....uffl/

Maybe some dips to go with challa. My easy eggplant dip recipe: cut eggplant in half longways, bake on 400 till brown (about 40 minute-1 hour) Puree with some garlic and add mayo to taste.

Buy grapes, blueberries, nectarines, clementines - all just need washing. Watermelon or melon is easy to cut up on the spot as well.

Brownies or blondies are easy to make. Buy sorbet or pareve ice-cream as well.

challahchallah

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 11:54 am
What about egg salad or deviled eggs as an extra side dish? It's also good protein if any of the people are vegetarian. I agree with others that birthday cake is plenty for dessert, maybe with some sorbet or other non-dairy ice-cream to serve with it.

ally

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 11:57 am
Roasted veg: I do butternut squash, red onion, red pepper with olive oil, s&p. The combination really works. You can also add broccolini/cauliflower/whatever else is lying around but use those three as the base.

Can serve plain or put on couscous with techies drizzled over. It's delicious room temp and leftovers work for lunch😏

iammom

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 12:04 pm
Did you buy chicken on the bone or chicken cutlets?

smileyfaces

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 12:13 pm
Make a potato kugel and add to the chulent or make an overnight kugel in the oven. You can make in advance and freeze.
Pasta salad
Egg salad and chopped liver
Noodle kugel

lora

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 12:19 pm
in a foil pan coat chicken with paprika salt and pepper and bake for 45 min. on 350 in pot sutee onions sliced in rings melt margarine brown sugar and soy sauce into onions and pour onto chicken, bake for additional how long you want like between half hour and hour and half. the longer the tastier

cm

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 12:22 pm
Do you have Classic Cooking brand kugels at stores near you? Delicious! Heat and serve.

tichellady

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 12:26 pm
What type of chicken did you buy?

Sesame noodles is an easy thing to make for a crowd, just make 2 boxes of noodles. Corn salad is also easy for a crowd. I think deli roll, salad, chicken, cholent, sesame noodles or corn salad, roasted butternut squash and maybe something green- edamame salad or roasted green beans sounds great. For dessert, buy grapes and clementines.

Have plenty of challah and a few dips to choose from (hummus, eggplant, matbucha or roasted garlic) and serve the first course with the salad and Gefilte fish.

jflower

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 12:28 pm
Valleymom my hat's off to you for all that you do.

Is it possible to use Uber Thursday night instead of your making the trip to the airport?

tigerwife

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 12:34 pm
For chicken I like to make grilled chicken salad for shabbos day. Easy to serve to a crowd and some super easy cheating recipes out there, such as using Italian dressing for both the marinade and the dressing for the salad.

tziviakayla

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 12:45 pm
Can you get Near East rice mixes near you? If so, these are great for huge crowds for Shabbos lunch! You can even cook them in the microwave. I usually do a plain rice pilaf mix and a Spanish rice mix. They also have cous cous mixes.

Soy noodles are easý...I make mine with thin spaghetti, soy sauce, and a few tablespoons of honeý. Top with slice green onions before serving.

Easy chicken recipe: Spice with paprika first, then onion powder, then a little bit of garlic powder. Spread with a knife. Bake at 350 for about 1 hour 35 minutes. Heats up GREAT for Shabbos lunch!

One thing I have been doing latelý is filling mini phyllo cups with humus, and adding a small piece of cucumber. Looks pretty and tastes really good!

For a dessert...buy puff pastry shells and fill with apple, blueberrý, or peach pie filling. Top with whipped cream.

bamba

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 12:45 pm
angel hair pasta (takes 5 min to cook literally!) cut up cold cuts and cherry toms.
Gonna find the dressing recipe for you. Great salad for shabbos day. Can be a starter or a side dish for mains! Truthfully if you have a big chulent and some potato kugel, you could buy a few packs of cold cuts and that's fine I'm sure! You don't need loads of extras!
Challa, buy dips, and you said you're making gefilte fish. Maybe cut up some veg to decorate the plate... PLENTY!!

bamba

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 12:49 pm
1 cup mayo
Half cup sugar
2 tbsp vinegar
2 tbsp water
1tbsp mustard
1/4 tsp salt
Black pepper
Garlic powder
That's the dressing for the pasta cold cut salad. From baleboostas 2 I think.

EmpireState

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 2:15 pm
ally wrote:
Roasted veg: I do butternut squash, red onion, red pepper with olive oil, s&p. The combination really works. You can also add broccolini/cauliflower/whatever else is lying around but use those three as the base.

Can serve plain or put on couscous with techies drizzled over. It's delicious room temp and leftovers work for lunch😏

This sounds good but what are "techies"?

imasinger

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 2:47 pm
I bet it's autocorrect for techina. Smile

If the chicken is boneless, my favorite cooking method is my sous vide. You can do large quantities, set it and forget it, and it comes out delicious.

IMO, every kitchen should have one.

sourstix

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 3:19 pm
What's sous vibe?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics