Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
When to stop rectal temps?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

aquad

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 3:49 pm
lucky14 wrote:
why is this? I have an ear thermometer and took my baby's temp actually the morning of a doc appointment and it was basically the same temp in the office.

Something about the size of the ear canal and the thermometer can't get an accurate reading.
Looks like I was wrong, you can start at 6 months: http://www.mayoclinic.org/heal.....?pg=2
(My ear thermometer's manual writes that it's not accurate until the child is 2.)

My toddler once had a really high fever- 104.5. When the fever was only in the 102's, I took the armpit temperature. Once it climbed above 103, I used rectal- I wanted to get it really accurate and know if any of the medications were helping.

studying_torah

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 3:57 pm
My child recently had a rectal temp of almost 105 at home, but in the hospital the oral showed 101, the ear showed 98.6. I was very surprised at the difference, and the resident on call rechecked with a rectal. After the child got a fever reducer, the rectal showed 104.
I could not get over the difference, even with hospital thermometers.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 5:13 pm
Please moms beware.
My mom gave me my first O without knowing about it. Without me knowing what it was (aside from that it felt good..) at age 8 by forcing me to take a suppositry when I was sick.
For years I thought I discovered a secret unk¦own to mankind and used to immitate this experience in order to get that "exhilarating feeling" again. Full blown orgasms without me having a clue.
It took me another six years - at age 14 I discovered that I am not the only one who knows but that its something all of humankind (should) enjoy
There are still repercussions today...

What I want to say: thinkl of the long-term something seemingly medical could havde on your child. Thermoeter used to have the same effect on me.

My mother had no clue. 30 years later I told her about it, I think I may have caused her to die a little inside Sad

cnc

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 6:30 pm
I don't use rectal thermometers at all.
I have an electronic one that swipes across the forehead.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 6:35 pm
Maya wrote:
I agree.

Still, I'm also surprised. I recently saw a discussion online of people who remember feeing very violated when their mothers used rectal thermometers on them, and they were talking about kids way younger than 10 years old. I didn't realize peopl still did that.

Well I would never use it on him if he didn't want me too. I would tell him what to do, and he would do it himself.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 6:39 pm
Rectal thermometer on a 10 year old is child abuse.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 7:20 pm
amother wrote:

Yeah.
This should be stopped at once.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 7:26 pm
amother wrote:

So call the cops on me.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 7:30 pm
I never did rectal. There are other ways to check to you know.....

MitzadSheini

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 7:36 pm
I really don't think you ever need to know a temperature so accurately. You just need to know if it is going down with ibuprofen /Tylenol. If it isn't, you know if the child is REALLY sick. Then you go for help. You just know.

Have never owned one I those thermometers.

studying_torah

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 7:57 pm
I have to disagree, there's a huge difference in a small child between a temp of 101 (or normal with the ear thermometer) vs 104-105.

MitzadSheini

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 8:11 pm
A rectal temperature will measure higher because it is internal. So what? You can make adjustments. If you're child is really really sick, you know. I don't get why anyone needs more accuracy than a forehead thermometer. You can tell a fever when you hug your child

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 8:41 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
So call the cops on me.

Unfortunately many abused children grow up their whole life with no one calling the cops on their parents. If your son turns out gay, you know who to blame.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 8:56 pm
amother wrote:
Unfortunately many abused children grow up their whole life with no one calling the cops on their parents. If your son turns out gay, you know who to blame.

Right. I'll be sure to let you know if that happens, mrs anonymous. I can tell you really, truly care about my sons well being.

amother
White

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 8:57 pm
amother wrote:

Yes, I hear this is the leading cause of gayness.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 9:00 pm
amother wrote:
Yes, I hear this is the leading cause of gayness.

Lol. I almost fell off my chair from laughter.

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 9:37 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
Lol. I almost fell off my chair from laughter.

Fall off your chair all you want but it's well known that people's zexual preferences are often influenced by their earliest zexual experience. Do your own research, don't take my words seriously.

MitzadSheini

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 10:05 pm
I really don't see why you would ever need to know the temperature so accurately, especially for an older child who can tell you what hurts.

When did I ever use a thermometer? It's 2am, your 18mth old baby wajes up screaming and hot. You take a forehead temp, it's 38.6C. You give Tylenol, she coughs half of it up, you are not sure whether to redose. You are a first time parent and you are scared so you don't. Half an hour later you measure again, it's 39.1C You give the Tylenol again. Half an hour later it's 39.7C. You give ibuprofen. Then half an you later it's still 39.7 - you go to ER. But more likely you see it's going down and you all go back to bed (baby hs fallen asleep). Never need anything more accurate than that

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 10:08 pm
MitzadSheini wrote:
I really don't see why you would ever need to know the temperature so accurately, especially for an older child who can tell you what hurts.

When did I ever use a thermometer? It's 2am, your 18mth old baby wajes up screaming and hot. You take a forehead temp, it's 38.6C. You give Tylenol, she coughs half of it up, you are not sure whether to redose. You are a first time parent and you are scared so you don't. Half an hour later you measure again, it's 39.1C You give the Tylenol again. Half an hour later it's 39.7C. You give ibuprofen. Then half an you later it's still 39.7 - you go to ER. But more likely you see it's going down and you all go back to bed (baby hs fallen asleep). Never need anything more accurate than that

Which is why I barely ever take my kids temperature. But if I do, its because I need an accurate reading, which is why I do rectal. If I do my own temperature, I also do rectal. Does that make me gay? Wink

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 10:19 pm
I knew I never should have opened up this thread. Rolling Eyes I agree that a rectal temp is invasive and inappropriate on a preteen. This isn't the '50s, we have good ways to measure the human temperature today.

I'm glad I learned what makes people gay shock I never would have guessed.
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics