Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Wonderful guest

staten islander

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 10:00 pm
My dc befriended a child,let's call him Bob. Bob is a wonderful,sweet and polite kid and we love having him around. He has been coming for Shabbos often and his mom,whom I dont know well at all,always sends an elaborate gift. I really enjoy having Bob over,as does everyone else, and we really don't need a gift . We are,bh,doing well, and I don't think Bob's family is. How can I word this politely, without insulting or offending his mom? I don't want to insinuate that they can't afford it,or that we dont need it,but what I can say?

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 10:03 pm
staten islander wrote:
My dc befriended a child,let's call him Bob. Bob is a wonderful,sweet and polite kid and we love having him around. He has been coming for Shabbos often and his mom,whom I dont know well at all,always sends an elaborate gift. I really enjoy having Bob over,as does everyone else, and we really don't need a gift . We are,bh,doing well, and I don't think Bob's family is. How can I word this politely, without insulting or offending his mom? I don't want to insinuate that they can't afford it,or that we dont need it,but what I can say?

Call her up, tell her what a joy it is to have him as a guest. While you are on the phone graciously thank her for the previous gifts and let her know they are unnecessary.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 10:13 pm
my mother and my friend's mother arranged not to give hostess gifts when we went to each other for shabbos. we ended up sleeping over at each other's homes quite frequently, and neither wanted to inconvenience the other. just tell her that you're touched by the gesture, but since her son is such a great friend, you don't want her to inconvenience herself whenever he comes to you.

MitzadSheini

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 10:25 pm
But if she insists - let her feel like a giver and not a taker and just say thank you.

To receive from someone else is an act of giving not taking .
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics