Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
When to stop rectal temps?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

MitzadSheini

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 7:21 pm
Why would you need more accurate? What scenario? Not accusing you of anything other than being a caring mom. Maybe I SHOULD be more accurate - but please explain why.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 8:07 pm
MitzadSheini wrote:
Why would you need more accurate? What scenario? Not accusing you of anything other than being a caring mom. Maybe I SHOULD be more accurate - but please explain why.

I am actually quite accurate when I just feel their forehead. Sometimes I suspect it is more then 104 which is when I would do the rectal. High fever is dangerous because it can cause seizures. And for the record, I don't think I've taken his temperature since he's been around 8. If I would need to now, I would let him do it himself, but if he wanted my help, then I would help him.

MitzadSheini

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 8:17 pm
I'm sorry your child has had seizures from fever.I would find that really scary.

leopardspots

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 9:25 pm
amother wrote:
Unfortunately many abused children grow up their whole life with no one calling the cops on their parents. If your son turns out gay, you know who to blame.

You have got to be freaking kidding me.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Jan 11 2017, 11:07 pm
Eta: im the amother whos mom gave her an org@sm with suppositry.
Thank you for the hugs though these days I cant be sure on imamother if it was given me because you feel bad for me truly or because its being used as a "unlike" button.
The purpose was to show mothers like those measuring temp on their 10yo rectally that they have no idea whats going on inside their child. And yes now looking back it was abuse on my mothers end though not purposely and she doesnt even realize today the long term effects it had, it still has on me today 3 decades later!
So no, this wont make your son gay but yes it can add to se.xual frustartation later, as it did for me. I can only get stimulation anally because of what happened then!

leopardspots

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 1:15 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
I am actually quite accurate when I just feel their forehead. Sometimes I suspect it is more then 104 which is when I would do the rectal. High fever is dangerous because it can cause seizures. And for the record, I don't think I've taken his temperature since he's been around 8. If I would need to now, I would let him do it himself, but if he wanted my help, then I would help him.

Just teach him to take his temperature by putting the thermometer in his mouth. He won't need therapy down the road for that.

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 2:01 am
What a thread!

I only measure my younger kids temperature rectally. Once my kids are old enough to keep the oral thermometer under their tongue, I let them go that route.

However, I routinely give my kids suppositories for fever reducers. My now eight year old still can't tolerate any oral tylenol and vomits anything offered to him when he has fever. If any of my other kids have high fever with vomiting, I also treat with a suppository. How else would I get the fever to go down?

Are you seriously calling this abuse??

pause

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 7:07 am
I want to add my voice to those who say it is incredibly invasive to take rectal temperature. Even on babies I don't do that. It doesn't matter if you make him do it himself or if you do it for him. If you make him believe that this is the only way to take your temperature, you are doing him a tremendous disservice (to put it mildly).

Mommy3b2c, I usually admire your confidence and self-awareness regardless of what other posters may say, but this is the first time I feel it necessary, and under my screen name, to tell you that you are wrong in what you're doing. If you want to know why I'm saying this, you are welcome to PM me for more specifics.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 10:36 am
I've never needed a thermometer. I can gauge pretty accurately by gently putting my lips on DD's forehead. The few times I've taken her to the doctor with a fever, the doctor asks me her temp, and I tell him "what I think it probably is". He'll take her temperature, and I'm either exactly right, or off by only half a degree. He was actually pretty impressed! At no time did he ever tell me that I needed to go out and buy a thermometer.

I have some pretty traumatic memories of the Dark Ages of rectal thermometers, and I couldn't possibly imagine subjecting my child to that sort of violating penetration - especially since we now have modern alternatives. Ugh. I'm shuddering just thinking about it. Sad

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 10:46 am
I felt very violated when my mother would take rectal temps or give me suppositories - she did it until I was 8 or 9.

Of course I didn't speak up, I didn't know there were other options and besides I was too shamed to know how to express myself or know what was wrong.

Please don't do this to your kids. There are better options, really. It's not worth it.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 10:47 am
pause wrote:
I want to add my voice to those who say it is incredibly invasive to take rectal temperature. Even on babies I don't do that. It doesn't matter if you make him do it himself or if you do it for him. If you make him believe that this is the only way to take your temperature, you are doing him a tremendous disservice (to put it mildly).

Mommy3b2c, I usually admire your confidence and self-awareness regardless of what other posters may say, but this is the first time I feel it necessary, and under my screen name, to tell you that you are wrong in what you're doing. If you want to know why I'm saying this, you are welcome to PM me for more specifics.

1) if you truly believe it is necessary to call me out on it, why wouldn't you do it via pm instead of calling me out publicly?

2) you and others have taken my words completely out of context. I never said I MAKE my kids do anything. I haven't taken this child's temperature in probably two years or more. Nor would I force him to do anything he is uncomfortable with. He knows there are other ways to take temperature, although I have to admit it's not something that usually comes up in conversation.

3) In my first comment, I was merely expressing surprise that people felt so strongly about this issue that they say they won't even take a babies temperature rectally. You do change their diaper right? Furthermore, my baby vomits his medication and I sometimes need to give him suppositories. Should I rather let him get a seizure from high fever?

4) I grew up taking my temperature rectally. No one ever forced it on me. When I got old enough to be embarrassed, my mother explained to me how to do it myself. This has not effected me negatively in any way, and honestly I am in shock by the comments I am getting directed at me.

Accusing me of child abuse?

Get a grip people.

Laiya

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 10:55 am
We use the forehead thermometer. It's extremely accurate and takes 3 seconds. If it's good enough for the pediatrician....

Re seizures, this says that once the child has a high fever, the risk of seizures has already passed:
http://www.webmd.com/children/.....rview

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 10:58 am
I did it once or twice with my first. *I* was traumatized. It's pretty obvious when the temperature is over 100. I have also taken my kids temperatures when they are healthy. We are all mid 97. That means that 99 is 2 degrees above normal.

For those of you who claim that you can't do it any other way, practice while they're healthy to do it under the tongue and auxiliary. It'll be easier if they get sick.

When my DD was sick with a fever and throwing up even water, we just waited 24 hrs then worked on rehydration. At six, she was okay without medication.

Why do you need to be so accurate anyway?

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 12:08 pm
I was just beginning to feel that its time to stop rectal temp with my newly turned 2 yr old. But I remember that the temporal thermometer I had for my other kids wasn't reliable .

Could someone please post a link to a reliable forehead thermometer that they have experience with?

amother
White

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 12:25 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
1) if you truly believe it is necessary to call me out on it, why wouldn't you do it via pm instead of calling me out publicly?

2) you and others have taken my words completely out of context. I never said I MAKE my kids do anything. I haven't taken this child's temperature in probably two years or more. Nor would I force him to do anything he is uncomfortable with. He knows there are other ways to take temperature, although I have to admit it's not something that usually comes up in conversation.

3) In my first comment, I was merely expressing surprise that people felt so strongly about this issue that they say they won't even take a babies temperature rectally. You do change their diaper right? Furthermore, my baby vomits his medication and I sometimes need to give him suppositories. Should I rather let him get a seizure from high fever?

4) I grew up taking my temperature rectally. No one ever forced it on me. When I got old enough to be embarrassed, my mother explained to me how to do it myself. This has not effected me negatively in any way, and honestly I am in shock by the comments I am getting directed at me.

Accusing me of child abuse?

Get a grip people.

THIS. Why would someone think taking a baby's rectal temp is a violation of their privacy? What privacy? Do you also close your eyes when changing their diaper so they have privacy? Kids should def develope a sense of what is private at a certain age but to try to give a baby that same level of privacy just seems bizarre.

leopardspots

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 1:10 pm
amother wrote:
I felt very violated when my mother would take rectal temps or give me suppositories - she did it until I was 8 or 9.

Of course I didn't speak up, I didn't know there were other options and besides I was too shamed to know how to express myself or know what was wrong.

Please don't do this to your kids. There are better options, really. It's not worth it.

This^^^
Most children won't speak up because they think their parents are always right. They will keep their feelings and embarrassment bottled up.
I had a male pediatrician as a child and I hated it. I'm still disturbed by it and I'm in my 30's. But I didn't know I could say anything, I didn't think I had a choice, as a child. My parents were also too clueless to notice anything or didn't care. I've chosen a female doctor for my DD so she doesn't have to go through what I did. My point is that children often don't say anything and the events only affect them later on in life when they start sorting through all the emotional garbage with a more mature lens.

Mommy, we are urging you to see this in a different light for your child. You are defensive because you feel attacked fine, but please take into consideration what we are saying.

leopardspots

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 1:21 pm
amother wrote:
THIS. Why would someone think taking a baby's rectal temp is a violation of their privacy? What privacy? Do you also close your eyes when changing their diaper so they have privacy? Kids should def develope a sense of what is private at a certain age but to try to give a baby that same level of privacy just seems bizarre.

Babies are human beings and have the right to bodily autonomy just like anyone else.

amother
White

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 1:24 pm
leopardspots wrote:
Babies are human beings and have the right to bodily autonomy just like anyone else.

You can't have bodily autonomy if you can't care for yourself. I'm not sure what you mean by babies having the right to bodily autonomy.

NurseK

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 1:30 pm
I do think its unnecessary to take rectals on children over one year.... but people, chill!!
Mommy said she hasn't done it in years and people are calling her abusive and predicting her sons homosexuality!!

Anyone have success with the forehead thermometers that you scan from a distance/don't actually touch the forehead? I just ordered one accidentally

leopardspots

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 1:34 pm
amother wrote:
You can't have bodily autonomy if you can't care for yourself. I'm not sure what you mean by babies having the right to bodily autonomy.

That's not what bodily autonomy means.

It means that children's bodies are their own and not the property of their parents or anyone else. It means they should not be taught forced affection (Grandma/Mommy/Friend needs a hug!) or taught that they can't say no to touch. It teaches them that that have bodily autonomy which should be respected. Adults often take advantage of children's
defenselessness and smaller stature. Like "oh aren't you cute that means I can touch you whenever I feel like it!" I'm not just talking about abuse cvs, I'm talking about mixing emotional manipulation with forced affection (grandpa is sad you won't give him a hug! Grandpa can get over it and not teach grandkids that they are responsible for his feelings because they aren't) and just plain boundary crossing.
Page 3 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics