Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Major special ed supreme court case - how did I miss this?!
Previous  1  2

marina

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 12:16 am
seeker wrote:
Is the question really just "meaningful" vs "more than trivial?" Because to the untrained ear those both sound equally vague. I think a better question would be how do you define enough benefit? What's trivial? what's meaningful?

Those are generally the two standard available in most of the country. Hopefully the Court will offer more guidance and specificity, because yes, both are vague.

seeker

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 12:29 am
I still didn't read any original documents about this but I read another little piece by someone who did, and it seemed that yes these things are up for discussion and some very interesting ideas were raised in court. It will be some time before we find out what happens to them, though.

miami85

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 10:05 am
gande wrote:
Where was this story?

In nyc most jewish children are in a private school. It is easy to fight for religous or acedimic reasons. The city pays almost 100k for my daughter every year.

Ironicly, she is very delayed and it wouldnt make much of a difference if she goes to a good public school.

https://www.disabilityscoop.co.....3174/

I believe this is a link to the story

miami85

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 10:09 am
It's a very big issue, b/c I think when it comes to more mild, but significant delays like specific LD or significant speech dealys Jewish kids are at a loss for getting the services that they need better support, but doesn't justify putting them in the local public school for services. Some schools are more supportive, but the classes are large, and rely on private funding which can impact quality of education. Some morahs and rebbes are wonderful and have been teaching for 20+ years, but just don't know what to do when faced with certain handicapsand don't know how to adjust their curriculum/expectations.

seeker

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 10:17 am
Can we clarify that there is a HUGE difference between "doesn't justify public school" because of your religious preferences, vs. educational value? Nothing personal, miami85, I know you're familiar with the field, just this is the second mention of wanting a private special education for religious reasons. I don't think a preference for religious education is a solid reason to ask the government to fund private education. If the public school legitimately can't provide the child's needs so you choose a Jewish private school as opposed to a non-Jewish private school, fine. But to say the public school can't provide for your needs because you need a Jewish education... maybe it's complicated but it certainly isn't something to take lightly or to use as an excuse.

wonderwoman

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 9:53 pm
This court case was very frightening for districts across the country. If the family had won, districts would have been destroyed by the financial burden of providing private school-level services. And the burden would ultimately have found its way to the taxpayers.

IEP teams do need to provide FAPE. FAPE must be determined ethically. There is a huge grey zone when it comes to this. Different IEP teams have different standards, and districts generally don't have the administrative support at the central/district level to vet literally hundreds or thousands of IEPs annually.

It comes down to the individual school IEP team. If they are knowledgeable and ethical, your child is in good hands. If not, all the myriad special education regulations, which are designed to protect kids, may not help.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics