Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Zahava Deutsch Lakewood

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 2:42 pm
Has anyone used her practice successfully? I recently had my son evaluated by her and she recommended starting therapy with him. I'm wondering if she knows what she is talking about or is it all her own theory without real results.

Thanks!

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 3:54 pm
What's her theory? Who/what is it based on?

Did you get references of people who are five years out from working with her?

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 4:06 pm
She says that if a child's core is not strong and they use other muscles to compromise their balance they have a much harder time with motor and behavioral skills.
I have one friend who used her but only for a few months.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 4:11 pm
Nothing extraordinary about that. What is unique about her? Also, if you are paying privately for this or have a child above the age of 2, don't waste time. Ask her for references of ppl 3-5 years having been finished with her and see what the long term results are. I am a mother of kids with issues living in Lakewood. Lots of "therapists" with theories and no real training in Lakewood. What method is she trained in? Who trained her? What specific approach will she be using? These are the questions to ask.

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 5:15 pm
I'm probably not the right person to answer but I used her for my child around 14 years ago and she was really really good with him. She got him to cooperate and didn't stretch out therapy.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Jan 05 2017, 7:31 pm
Shes an OT with many years of experience working with children. I know many people who have had success with her. Her theories aren't her own. Poor core causing other issues is an OT concept that most OTs work to strengthen.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Jan 06 2017, 9:26 am
If she's a licensed OT offering what she was trained to do (yes Debsey, I'm using your words) then this could be something worthwhile. If someone offers services without license or professional training, I would not put money into it.

debsey

Post Fri, Jan 06 2017, 11:52 am
Chayalle wrote:
If she's a licensed OT offering what she was trained to do (yes Debsey, I'm using your words) then this could be something worthwhile. If someone offers services without license or professional training, I would not put money into it.

She is a licensed OT, doing what she is trained for! She has a solid reputation in Lakewood, been working here for at least 15 years.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 10:31 pm
Just today, I was talking to Mrs. Klein, principal of the Bais Anya division of Bais Faiga, and she told me that Mrs. Epstein - the main principal of BF - is very impressed with Zehava Deutch.

So I thought of this thread.....

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 7:55 am
Thank you all for your replies and help!

Queen6

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 8:52 am
Yes Mrs. Epstein is a BIG fan of hers.
Yes the theory she told you is true and makes sense.
Does it mean that zipping to therapy twice a week till the end of time will cure your child? No.

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 9:35 am
Queen6 wrote:

Does it mean that zipping to therapy twice a week till the end of time will cure your child? No.

I don't think it will "cure" my kid. But I hope it will improve his ability to sit at his desk and keep up with his peers at sports. Right now he gets winded from running for 30 seconds.
And if it doesn't... well at least I tried.

newlywed613

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 10:56 am
As an ot u can tell you that the theroy she stated is a universal ot theory and nothing she made up so it is 100 percent correct. Proximal stability equals distal mobility for all you ots out there! Has rly good name and seems to hv helped lots of children. Get referneces but def cant harm ur child w someone w lots of experience. ....regarding someone who finished...thts not always helpful to look at bec each child diff has own issues and ot is not miracle working.....they can only do as much as child allows and as much as can workinv arnd disability
.....but def in ur best interest to try and give ur child best life they can hv

Mommyg8

Post Mon, May 14 2018, 11:51 pm
amother wrote:
She says that if a child's core is not strong and they use other muscles to compromise their balance they have a much harder time with motor and behavioral skills.
I have one friend who used her but only for a few months.

We used her many, many years ago. So she must have lots of experience. And she's good.

As for the theory - like others have mentioned - it's very basic OT theory. Core strengthening is very much the "theory of the month" right now, and I've spoken to people who have seen REAL results from strengthening the core.

There's another program that people rave about - I think it's Mrs. Roberg's? Or maybe Mrs. Krupenia? Find out which program is better, particularly find out which one is better for your child's specific issue.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 7:59 am
I used her for my child 17 years ago and she was amazing then. I’m sure she’s built herself up to be even better now.

Chayalle

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 9:16 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
We used her many, many years ago. So she must have lots of experience. And she's good.

As for the theory - like others have mentioned - it's very basic OT theory. Core strengthening is very much the "theory of the month" right now, and I've spoken to people who have seen REAL results from strengthening the core.

There's another program that people rave about - I think it's Mrs. Roberg's? Or maybe Mrs. Krupenia? Find out which program is better, particularly find out which one is better for your child's specific issue.

I tried the Roberg method for my DD for a few months. Biggest waste of money, ever. Lesson learned - I will only take my child to someone with a professional degree and training.

naturalmom5

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 9:19 am
amother wrote:
I don't think it will "cure" my kid. But I hope it will improve his ability to sit at his desk and keep up with his peers at sports. Right now he gets winded from running for 30 seconds.
And if it doesn't... well at least I tried.

Have you ruled out any cardiac issues cv"s

debsey

Post Tue, May 15 2018, 9:21 am
Chayalle wrote:
I tried the Roberg method for my DD for a few months. Biggest waste of money, ever. Lesson learned - I will only take my child to someone with a professional degree and training.
liking wasn't enough! Applause it's an expensive lesson! Drives me nuts when I hear teachers "diagnose" kids and make referrals to these totally unlicensed and unproven (and frequently, expensive) so-called therapies. OP, stick w an actual OT
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics