Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Who in BP is as good a dressmaker as Miriam on 12/51?
1  2  Next

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 6:19 pm
Who in BP is as good a dressmaker as Miriam on 12/51, but cheaper?

She does a great job, but her prices are higher than most. Who comes close to Miriam in getting the right shape, like Miriam does?

sourstix

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 8:33 pm
Sara on 13 th ave. In the basement of s&w if she's still there. She's is a nice person and really knows her work. Not expensive. Reliable. I wish she moved here,to Lakewood! We don't have anything like her here. We don't have anyone decent here at all and she's Jewish too. Anyone wants to come here to help us lakewooders?

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 8:35 pm
sourstix wrote:
Sara on 13 th ave. In the basement of s&w if she's still there. She's is a nice person and really knows her work. Not expensive. Reliable. I wish she moved here,to Lakewood! We don't have anything like her here. We don't have anyone decent here at all and she's Jewish too. Anyone wants to come here to help us lakewooders?

Sara closed!! I miss her too!

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 8:49 pm
The seamstresses in Boro Park all became very expensive. They charge whatever crazy price they want and most people are willing to pay because they already bought the piece of clothing that needs to be fixed.
I wonder why frum women don't become seamstresses it seems to be a very well paying job.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 8:53 pm
Ha! Come to lakewood then you'll know what expensive is. Most of the frum people here are so so expensive. And there are not too many. Even the cleaners here are severely expensive.

sourstix

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 8:56 pm
Agree with turquoise. I lived in bp. The seamstresses are definitely better then in Lakewood. And cheaper. And there are so many for competition.

here it's not a big business and they are expensive and not too many know what they are doing. In short we have issues with this here.

Some people go to bp for their more expensive alterations.

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 9:32 pm
There are dressmakers on

1- 53rd street between 14/15, and

2- 49th between 13/14, and

3- 16th avenue between 39/40.

What are their reputations?

happyfaces

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 9:51 pm
amother wrote:
Sara closed!! I miss her too!

What?? When did she close down?

reality mom

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 10:14 pm
I am so fed up with the alteration process in Borough Park that I refrain from buying clothes that need to be altered. If a seamstress is reasonably priced they have a huge waitlist and lines out the door. And many feel like they can be dishonest about pricing or whatever since they are so in demand. I always tell myself that I will walk through Chinatown on 8th ave one day and find my own seamstress who is grateful for my business. Hasnt happened yet. Sigh!

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 10:24 pm
This thread became talk about who is very expensive or not there any more, and no names of people who are good and reasonable. Theres a dressmaker on every block. There has got to be some very good ones who are reasonable.

amother
Cobalt

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 9:05 am
How does Lena on 52nd street compare work-wise and price-wise?

amother
Orange

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 12:03 pm
What gives you the idea that Miriam's is the best?
She ruined a very expensive piece for my SIL quite recently.

I used her for a while when she was still on 14 and 42 and although she did a good job at times, there were times when she did awful work and wouldn't redo her mistakes, and still give me that attitude she's famous for...
I know others that aren't either happy with her.

My sister uses someone Tzipora on 54th str. She claims that she does an excellent job. she is expensive though.
I recently used 'Channa's', recommended by an acquaintance of mine, for an expensive dress.
She did an excellent job. She is very nice.. Expensive though.

Will use her again when needed belee neder
She's on 51 off 13th av.

amother
Cobalt

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 12:36 pm
This discussion of dressmakers is interesting.

Sara under S&W killed a suit (made sleeves way too short).

Chana if shes Russian and near the Car Service, didnt do a nice job on what I gave her so I left her.

Yes Miriam has an attitude, and is outrageously expensive, but she hasnt ruined anything of mine (yet).

Anyone uses Lena on 52nd?

Amother Orange, how expensive is Tziporah on 54th, how does she compare with Miriam pricewise, and where is she?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 1:12 pm
Do you rely on the dressmaker to decide where to cut or are you involved in the process? It's so important to come already knowing what you want otherwise mistakes can happen. Been there, done that.
I bring my gowns to Miriam because she's meticulous but outrageously expensive so I can't bring my standard items to her.

chaya35

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 2:17 pm
I also use Miriam. Can't handle her wait time. Seems like many of us use her. I probably stand next to some of you everytime I wait. We can have an Imamother reunion it would make the wait time more enjoyable.

amother
Blush

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 2:23 pm
In the past (but like a decade ago) I've used a woman named Indra who was much cheaper for alterations than anyone else I encountered. She lived near new Utrecht.
I just used her to add material to the bottom of things and she was good for me. The woman who recommended her said she had made her a shirt or dress for a wedding but I never saw.
I personally liked her and def would have gone back. Worth trying on a small alteration, imo.
If this is still her number, it was 1 718-439-3920.
Otherwise sorry.

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 2:44 pm
Miriam misplaced expensive fabric that was supposed to be added to a dress and took no responsibility. After I replaced the fabric, and she altered the dress, she doubled the original price quoted because "it was more work than she thought". She refused to give me my dress until I paid her what she wanted. When she turned her back, I "stole" my dress and left the money on the counter. My regrets to this day is that I even left her money after all the aggravation, extra money spent to replace the fabric she lost, and time wasted. She has abused her power to the max.

sourstix

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 3:24 pm
Wow, this is the first time I've heard people complaining about Miriam's work. Her attitude is annoying. Didn't know she moved. She must have moved about a little over a year. When I moved. So please bring these problems to Lakewood we don't even have this selectto complain about. Bring them here.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Jan 22 2017, 12:30 am
Anyone else can recommend people not mentioned yet, in BP, who do alterations?

Who makes a pencil skirt neatly and reasonably in BP?

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 1:14 pm
BUMP
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries