Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
When to stop rectal temps?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

sunshine5

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 8:13 pm
MitzadSheini wrote:
I really don't think you ever need to know a temperature so accurately. You just need to know if it is going down with ibuprofen /Tylenol. If it isn't, you know if the child is REALLY sick. Then you go for help. You just know.

Have never owned one I those thermometers.

5 children ka'h oldest is 16, never owned a thermometer rectal or other, . Somehow btwn my husband and myself we just know when the child is just running a fever or has a high temperature. When a child's temperature is dangerously high then u can tell, they lethargic very very flushed n teary eyed. Dont see the purpose.
Rectal temp is total violation and totally taking advantage of childs innocence..

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 10:01 pm
sunshine5 wrote:
5 children ka'h oldest is 16, never owned a thermometer rectal or other, . Somehow btwn my husband and myself we just know when the child is just running a fever or has a high temperature. When a child's temperature is dangerously high then u can tell, they lethargic very very flushed n teary eyed. Dont see the purpose.
Rectal temp is total violation and totally taking advantage of childs innocence..

Then you must have missed all fevers that weren't dangerously high.
And maybe fever wouldn't have reached dangerous heights if you'd have caught it earlier with a thermometer. An oral one.

amother
White

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 4:52 am
I'm curious if those who find rectal thermometers so abusive are very young and didn't grow up with mercury thermometers and only two choices for where to put it.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 5:53 am
amother wrote:
I'm curious if those who find rectal thermometers so abusive are very young and didn't grow up with mercury thermometers and only two choices for where to put it.
On the contrary, those who grew up with it are the ones who are finding it violating and would not repeat it with their children.
I remember watching my mother shaking out the mercury thermometer with a feeling of dread. Whether it was for me or another kid I hated it! I have 4 of my own k'ah and I've only done under-arm (and oral for myself).

imasinger

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 6:05 am
amother wrote:
Then you must have missed all fevers that weren't dangerously high.
And maybe fever wouldn't have reached dangerous heights if you'd have caught it earlier with a thermometer. An oral one.

A few facts about fever. (As emerald amother also posted; you can check out her link, too).

Fevers can rise very quickly, and there's no guarantee that "catching" them sooner changes anything.

There is also the fact the body raises temperature for a good reason.

Current medical thinking seems to be that it's better to let low grade fever run its course.

http://www.parents.com/health/.....fits/

pesek zman

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 6:32 am
This is so fascinating to me. I work at a major children's hospital and decided to inquire what our standard of practice is

For developmentally typical children, we stop taking temps rectally at age 3, the age when my children are able to keep the thermometer under their tongue. Developmentally delayed children obviously aren't able to do so, and so rectal temps are taken. The doctors feel very comfortable with the accuracy of oral thermometers

Just FYI

JoyInTheMorning

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 6:34 am
Here's some perspective from someone who remembers back to when she was two years old:

I absolutely hated the rectal thermometer. Even when I was two. I dreaded visits to the pediatrician because he always used a rectal thermometer, even for well visits.

I was a thinking person when I was two, but not surprisingly, I had no idea how to advocate for myself. It wasn't until I was five that I started asking my mother to take my thermometer orally when I was sick. (And it appears that she asked the pediatrician to stop taking my temperature rectally, because I don't remember it happening after that discussion with my mother.)

I felt horribly violated, even when I was two. I remember even hating the fact that the pediatrician examined me naked. Ugh. I shudder just remembering.

Regarding rectal vs. oral vs. axillary (under the arm) thermometers: There is a distinction between accuracy and the need to calibrate. A rectal temperature is typically around 1 degree Farenheit higher than an oral temperature, which is typically around 1 degree Farenheit higher than an axillary temperature. So if you measure your kid's temperature with an axillary thermometer and it's 100, that's the same as 101 with an oral thermometer, or 102 with a rectal thermometer. The need to do that is just because you need to calibrate and doesn't have to do with accuracy.

The "normal temperature" of 98.6 (and it's really a range that's normal, anywhere from 97.6 to 99.6) assumes a reading with an oral thermometer. A reading of 100 degrees with a rectal thermometer does not mean fever, and a reading of 104 with a rectal thermometer does mean a high fever, but it's not crazily high, it's basically 103.

That said, yes, from everything I've read, rectal thermometers are somewhat more accurate than oral or axillary thermometers, but so what? How much accuracy do you need? Do you really think that a difference of half a degree is going to make a difference in diagnosis? If it makes that much of a difference to your doctor, you're going to a rigid and stupid doctor. A temperature reading is only one data point in a constellation of data points, and a slight level of inaccuracy should make no difference at all. And you shouldn't be rigid and stupid either. If your kid has 101 or 102 in an axillary reading (= 102 or 103 orally, which isn't usually that big a deal) but is acting lethargic, err on the side of caution and get the kid's temperature down and to urgent care right away. How your kid is behaving is much more important than a possible half degree in accuracy.

Regarding getting a kid's temperature down: It's absolutely true that very high temperatures can be dangerous. But while it's important to get a kid's temperature down in such cases, giving Tylenol or Motrin is not necessarily the best thing to do; it can even be dangerous. Many doctors -- including one of our former pediatricians -- believe that it is the change in temperature that is what is most dangerous. So giving Tylenol or Motrin to a kid with 104 fever was not advised. I was advised to use compresses soaked in lukewarm water on the forehead to get the temperature down somewhat, and only after to give Tylenol or Motrin.

So, if as some PP mentioned, you give Tylenol to your kid and your kid vomits and then has a seizure, it's more likely that enough of the Tylenol got into your kid's system to rapidly lower your kid's temperature and that that is what caused the seizure rather than the lack of Tylenol.

But please, whatever you do, don't think that it is the exact marker on the thermometer that gives the most important piece of information about your child's health. That's dangerous thinking.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 6:47 am
JoyInTheMorning wrote:

That said, yes, from everything I've read, rectal thermometers are somewhat more accurate than oral or axillary thermometers, but so what? How much accuracy do you need? Do you really think that a difference of half a degree is going to make a difference in diagnosis? If it makes that much of a difference to your doctor, you're going to a rigid and stupid doctor. A temperature reading is only one data point in a constellation of data points, and a slight level of inaccuracy should make no difference at all. And you shouldn't be rigid and stupid either. If your kid has 101 or 102 in an axillary reading (= 102 or 103 orally, which isn't usually that big a deal) but is acting lethargic, err on the side of caution and get the kid's temperature down and to urgent care right away. How your kid is behaving is much more important than a possible half degree in accuracy.

This!

Look at your kid! If he's acting fine, no need to worry about a slight fever. If he's lethargic, sleeping a lot, no appetite, glassy eyes, etc. you need to worry (I.e. take care of him), regardless of the temperature. Common sense, ladies.

amother
Cobalt

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 10:33 am
As soon as I was old enough to be taught to hold a thermometer under my tongue, this was the method my mother used. If I fussed, my mother reminded me of the alternative. I plan on the same with my DD.

Using a rectal thermometer (which is inserted less than an inch into the rectum) is no more invasive than wiping a bum.

pesek zman

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 10:35 am
amother wrote:
As soon as I was old enough to be taught to hold a thermometer under my tongue, this was the method my mother used. If I fussed, my mother reminded me of the alternative. I plan on the same with my DD.

Using a rectal thermometer (which is inserted less than an inch into the rectum) is no more invasive than wiping a bum.

Except there is no reasonable alternative to wiping the bum the way there is to taking rectal temp

amother
Cobalt

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 10:46 am
pesek zman wrote:
Except there is no reasonable alternative to wiping the bum the way there is to taking rectal temp

but its not invasive, and I'm already 'in the region', why not? With Baby's 1st Digital Thermometer (which I own) its going to be much for efficient for me to check the bottom while diaper is off, than pull of a top to get to DD armpit (and hold down her arm for 60 seconds).

Now I'm wondering if any mom's here used a thermometer or Qtip for 'stimulation' after a few days of a newborn not pooping...

sweetpotato

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 10:59 am
This reminds me of when I was 16 and living in France with an older couple for the summer, and had a fever. My host mother brought me a thermometer, and asked "Tu veux de la vaseline?" I didn't get why she was asking if I wanted Vaseline, and started to put the thermometer in my mouth. "Non! C'est pas pour la bouche!"

I didn't take my temperature...

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 11:01 am
amother wrote:
but its not invasive, and I'm already 'in the region', why not? With Baby's 1st Digital Thermometer (which I own) its going to be much for efficient for me to check the bottom while diaper is off, than pull of a top to get to DD armpit (and hold down her arm for 60 seconds).

Now I'm wondering if any mom's here used a thermometer or Qtip for 'stimulation' after a few days of a newborn not pooping...

Yes I have. As per my pediatrician advice. But I'm an abusive parent, so don't go by me. Wink

Coffee Addict

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 12:30 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
Yes I have. As per my pediatrician advice. But I'm an abusive parent, so don't go by me. Wink

Same here !!

amother
Cobalt

Post Sat, Jan 14 2017, 3:53 pm
Coffee Addict wrote:
Same here !!

Very Happy Very Happy me too.

gold21

Post Sat, Jan 14 2017, 4:18 pm
amother wrote:
Wait, your ten year old allows this? Maybe they secretly enjoy it?

OMG. Perverted comment.

gold21

Post Sat, Jan 14 2017, 4:20 pm
amother wrote:
Unfortunately many abused children grow up their whole life with no one calling the cops on their parents. If your son turns out gay, you know who to blame.

OK, so you're the OP of this thread. You came on here and asked "is it OK to use a rectal thermometer on olderish kids", in other words, you yourself are unsure of the answer, hence your question.

Someone replies that she does use a thermometer on older kids- and this is is your reply? If you're so confident in your viewpoint, why did you start this thread? And I know you don't really believe that it could turn a kid gay. That's just too far fetched and crazy.

You know what, I'm thinking that you're trolling.

Last edited by gold21 on Sat, Jan 14 2017, 4:35 pm; edited 3 times in total

gold21

Post Sat, Jan 14 2017, 4:23 pm
I don't take temp rectally. I only take temp under the arm. I used a rectal thermometer only once, at the instruction of my pediatrician, who told to monitor my daughter with a rectal thermometer- she was about 18 months at the time. She had an infection and her fever was pretty high, so close monitoring was important. Otherwise, under the arm only.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sat, Jan 14 2017, 4:34 pm
amother wrote:

FYI, I think the thermometer and qtip for pooping is a terrible thing to do. My mother who's abusive always suggests this if she hears someone's child can't poop. There's many ways to help a constipated child besides that.
I also have a friend who did this to all her children non stop like she was so obsessed with it. Maybe she still does this now that they're a bit grown who even knows.

gold21

Post Sat, Jan 14 2017, 4:39 pm
amother wrote:
FYI, I think the thermometer and qtip for pooping is a terrible thing to do. My mother who's abusive always suggests this if she hears someone's child can't poop. There's many ways to help a constipated child besides that.
I also have a friend who did this to all her children non stop like she was so obsessed with it. Maybe she still does this now that they're a bit grown who even knows.

I'm sorry that your mother is abusive, and I'm sorry that you're friend is, like you say, "so obsessed" with helping her constipated babies.

But you owe us all an explanation as to why you started this thread in the first place. Your posts are all over the place and, may I use the word, abusive- you are verbally abusing fellow anothers with your comments.

Do I use rectal thermometers? No, I don't use rectal thermometers. I think under the arm is definitely the way to go. I avoid rectal thermometers. I do not like them. But-

Do I think that the reason you started this thread is out of true genuine curiosity and concern as to whether it is OK to take a rectal temp on, to quote you, "olderish kids"? No. No I do not. Not at all.

Last edited by gold21 on Sat, Jan 14 2017, 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics