Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
My laundry seems to grow on trees!!
Previous  1  2

amother
Lavender

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 9:13 am
10 kids here. I do 2-3 loads a day and we're still drowning. And I'm hopelessly behind on folding.

gp2.0

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 9:22 am
3232 wrote:
Believe it or not I have ke"h quite a few kids already and I limit laundry washing to once a week. Only motzeh shabbos and Sunday!! Guess what... I'm not busy all week with laundry.. I don't touch laundry all week, (only severely, or accidentally). My hamper is usually overflowing by shabbos. But from all your posts I see that your hampers are in the same situation!! I have a little more clothing for each child but I feel it's worth it.

Same here. I only have two kids though. Once a week I wash 4 loads. 1 colored, 1 white, 1 delicate, and 1 extra like towels, linen, etc. And that's all! Then I don't even think about laundry for a week.

Tzutzie

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 9:53 am
I do like folding and am fairly on top of it. Sometimes a load sits in the dryer for a few days. If I only really needed one thing that goes in a white load I'll do all the whites in the hamper. Then let it sit in the dryer till I actually get to do laundry.
I do towels 2-3 times a week. Between dish towels (2-3 per day) and hand towels in the vanities, and kitchen another 3+ daily and 4 super thick bath sheets its half a load or more a few times a week. It easier to just grab all bath towels wash, dry, put them back. And just fold the small towels. Than take out more bath towels (thick bath sheets ×4 people × 3 per week).... and then fold and put back.....

I enjoy folding. It when I listen to shiurim, workshops, podcasts...... I enjoy seeing the drawers with perfectly folded clothing. Lol.
But when I was super super busy I didn't fold. I'd just put one on top of the other nicely when they were still warm and fluffy. And put them away like this. All boxers in on pile. Panties another. The kids undies too.
Socks I'd match and fold or if super desparate id just dump it in the bin.
Dhs undershirts id just do half fold then half fold. (They wouldnt fit in his drawer unfolded) the clothing wasn't creased this way and it took a fraction of the time. Also, dh could do that.

Also, my shells and tops go straight onto hangers. Same with some of dds dresses. I keep extra hangers in the dryer pedastal / drawer. The drawer comes with a divider so its great to sort the various kinds of hangers. I collect them from the closet before doing the laundry so they are availible. Same w dhs shirts, I fluff in the dryer a few minutes then hang.

Laundry is endless. It always is. Always will be.

I don't mind it so much. It's a calm and rewarding thing to do. And I enjoy it the most of all household chores. And I've figured out a good system too that works with my spantanious nature...

Now the toilets and floors, can someone come do it for me?
And change the bed linens. Gosh I HATE that.

I remember those years when it was just dh and me.... I'd do one white/lights, one dark, one towel load a week. And alternate mediums one week and bed linens/table linens the next. Hahaha.

Faigy86

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 9:56 am
Tzutzie wrote:

I don't mind it so much. It's a calm and rewarding thing to do. And I enjoy it the most of all household chores. And I've figured out a good system too that works with my spantanious nature...

Now the toilets and floors, can someone come do it for me?
And change the bed linens. Gosh I HATE that.

I forgot who, but recently a poster mentioned a chores swap. I would totally go for that. I totally don't mind taking care of another family's laundry if she would do the cleaning for me Smile

naomi2

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 10:28 am
some tips
get a large capacity machine if you can.
wash dark and lights together in cold water
use one bath towel per person, per week
1-2 pairs of pjs per week, per person
use kids pants, skirts two days in a row if clean.

OMG!

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 10:32 am
naomi2 wrote:
some tips

Agree with these tips. My kids don't take clean pjs on their own. And I wash it twice a week before their baths. And they have 4-5 sets of clothing. So if I didn't get to folding, they use it right away.

working hard

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 12:21 pm
With my old machine I was doing 10-12 loads a week! It was tiny. When it finally broke (YAY!) We saved up and replaced it with a huge 36 pound washer. WOW what a difference. Now I do 4-5 loads a week. Now the folding! Don't get me started on that.

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 1:12 pm
Can you have others help you with the laundry? You obviously have big kids. DH can also help wash his clothes.

LittleDucky

Post Fri, Jan 13 2017, 1:54 pm
Do you have a laundromat nearby? I know people who take a weeks worth of laundry there and get 4 machines at a time... By the time you load and set the last machine the first one is almost done and can be folded! Yes, you have to pay per load but it is a sanity saver!
Personally I try to spend an entire Sunday doing laundry but I usually have a midweek load needed too. I just have 7 days plus shabbos worth of clothing.

Lady Bug

Post Sat, Jan 14 2017, 10:42 pm
I say you should invest in a second extra large capacity set of machines.

then cut down on the amount of towels and clean laundry you use.

Tzutzie

Post Sat, Jan 14 2017, 10:51 pm
Faigy86 wrote:
I forgot who, but recently a poster mentioned a chores swap. I would totally go for that. I totally don't mind taking care of another family's laundry if she would do the cleaning for me Smile

I would LOVE that.

Tzutzie

Post Sat, Jan 14 2017, 10:57 pm
naomi2 wrote:
some tips

It depends how often you shower.
You can't use a towel 7 times between washes. After 23 times they SMELL.

If clean it is ok to reuse. But little kids usually get very dirty. Older kids can stay clean.

Lots of laundry comes worth lots of kids. It's just a fact is life.

I have a relative with many children (close to 20) when her kids are old enough to go to sleepawsy camp is when they are in charge of their own laundry. She has two washing machines and two dryers. They do their linen and school uniforms and underwear. She teaches them and it gets part of life in no time.

Maybe you can do that.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry