Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Teach English/Reading/Writing at Home - need Suggestions

amother
Gold

Post Sat, Jan 14 2017, 9:33 pm
We live in Israel but may go back to the US at any point even 5 years from now. All of the children speak English as we are an English speaking household. My oldest is 10 and reads/writes below her age-level (US level.) The others are not reading yet. I'd like them all to be reading and writing for their age-level in the event that we have to move back to the US. I know that people hire tutors but that gets expensive. There are also groups but I don't think that will be good for my children - one is a superfast learner and another needs individual attention. I was wondering if there is some kind of package I can purchase to teach reading, writing, grammar, etc from K-8 and do it from home. How do homeschoolers do this? The drawback is that I'm not sure I'll have time or patience for it. I was thinking maybe to hire a high school girl to do the actual work with them, so the tutoring will be cheaper. Any ideas to teach them properly but not cost so much money? Any specific programs to use/purchase? Thanks!

RachelEve14

Post Sat, Jan 14 2017, 9:39 pm
I like Explode teh Code. There is online (haven't used but thinking of getting it for my 9 year old) and the workbooks.

seeker

Post Sat, Jan 14 2017, 10:27 pm
RachelEve14 wrote:
I like Explode teh Code. There is online (haven't used but thinking of getting it for my 9 year old) and the workbooks.

I've been happy with this for beginning reading and spelling, but I'm not familiar with their materials for older or more advanced students. I used it with kindergarten age (their school was using it.)

balabusta

Post Sat, Jan 14 2017, 11:08 pm
Writing Strands. If I recall back in my homeschooling days (8 years ago), I believe the teacher has a "script". My ds22 is a creative writing major in college now, and I believe it's because of this amazing program. For reading I let them read widely fiction that was interesting to them. For spelling I pulled words from their writing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics