Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Houston, Heimish Crowd?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Jun 30 2016, 10:53 am
Hey,
So husband and I are graduating from dental/nursing school in one year, and are starting to consider moving to Houston from Monsey due to the job opportunities. We have 2 boys (8 and 6).
We both come from Chassidish backgrounds, Although we are very frum we are no longer chassidish.For example: DH still wears a shtreimel on shabbos yet wears tshirts and jeans on weekdays, I wear denim skirt and flip flops, summertime (no tights).

Does Houston have a warm heimish (chassidish/former chassidish) community and shul?What about cheder's?

shaimac1

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 11:21 am
Hi! Mazel Tov on finishing dental school and nursing school! I do not live in Houston, but my understanding is that the majority of the community is Modern Orthodox and that the schools are similar. As far as I know there isn't a Chassidush community or Cheder there! Maybe try contacting the shuls in Houston to find out more! Good luck with your search! If you want to know more about other communities feel free to check out https://www.ou.org/fair/fair/f.....ties/!

greenfire

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 11:23 am
mo is a joke there ... they are mostly yeshivish people with a blue shirt going to young israel or chabad

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jul 06 2016, 3:52 pm
Mazel tov on these milestones! Salut on the hard work getting there.
The people I know outside the kollel aren't MO. They have good yeshiva backgrounds though may not be so yeshivish.
Honestly, I don't understand your question. Why are you looking for a cheder? It sounds like you wouldn't fit into a typical cheder back in your hometown, but would need a standard community yeshiva day school. These are good places. I went to one and sent my kids to one too.
You might feel very comfortable in Houston. The questions I would ask are
- what is the school like? Who sends their kids there? Will it grow with you?
- who is the rabbinic leadership? I don't think you can expect more than to find a shul that davens nusach Sfard but you might find the rabbis (and rebbetzins) in town good people whom you and your kids can look up to.
- will your husband feel comfortable wearing levush on Shabbos if he's a yachid? People do that out of town, they know they may not find a minyan of shtreimel wearers but a kosher minyan with a good rav and nice sense of community is all they need.

amother1223

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 7:10 am
I know one family in Houston that fits this description. PM me for their infl
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating