Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Torticollis

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 1:44 pm
My baby is 7 weeks & im suspecting torticollis. I'm going to have him checked by doctor as soon as she gets back from vacation.

Which agency would you use in Brooklyn to get an evaluation?

cnc

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 1:46 pm
You can use any early intervention agency-if you feel it's a mild case and your insurance covers PT, it may be more worthwhile to do it through insurance because the EI evaluation process usually takes a while.

To answer your question though, I've used EvalCare in the past.

miami85

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 1:46 pm
My son had Torticollis. It doesn't necessarily get EI/PT, you can gently but firmly stretch his neck in the opposite direction, my son outgrew it by 6 months.

cnc

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 1:48 pm
miami85 wrote:
My son had Torticollis. It doesn't necessarily get EI/PT, you can gently but firmly stretch his neck in the opposite direction, my son outgrew it by 6 months.

My doctor was very emphatic that I do not this myself unless I was taught exactly what to do by a PT that treats it.

mha3484

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 2:04 pm
My son had it also with low tone over all. I think it can go together. We went to our local childrens hospital and he was approved for therapy. It made a huge difference. I would not want to do that stuff myself. I am also a little neurotic about having PT in my house.

miami85

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 2:15 pm
cnc wrote:
My doctor was very emphatic that I do not this myself unless I was taught exactly what to do by a PT that treats it.

My pediatrician showed me what to do--its not hard and fairly safe. In my son's case he wouldn't have qualified for PT b/c he was otherwise doing everything on-time.

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 2:37 pm
Been there.

Definitely evaluate, even if won't get service the evaluator will teach u what to do and direct you.

Sound desperate when call agency

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 3:41 pm
A friend of mine took her son to a chiropractor, and after 2 adjustments he was 100% fine. It never came back. The doctor said that spinal dislocation can happen during delivery, and that it's fairly common.

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Jan 12 2017, 4:13 pm
My daughter had this. PT is the way to go. My pediatrician taught me the exercises, but they didn't make any difference when I did them myself, but PT help and it went away.

Interestingly, when I had an expert orthopedist check her out, he said it wasn't actually torticollis at all - he said torticollis is tightening/shortening of the neck muscles on one side, and my daughters muscles weren't tight, they were just weaker on one side that was causing the apparent torticollis. It was still treated with PT though.

Just for reference, babies, especially girls, who have torticollis after birth are also considered high risk for hip dysplasia (when the hips aren't aligned properly), and that should be checked by an orthopedist, and if needed treated as soon as possible if it's there ,because the longer you wait, the worse the intervention is.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 10:08 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
A friend of mine took her son to a chiropractor, and after 2 adjustments he was 100% fine. It never came back. The doctor said that spinal dislocation can happen during delivery, and that it's fairly common.

I had this experience too and after a couple of adjustments he was completely fine, never had to deal with torticollis again B"H.

If you're in Brooklyn, I went to Dr. Tabick on 11th ave and 69st.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics