Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Yeshiva Darchei Aliyah/ Yeshiva Bnei Torah (flatbush)

amother
Salmon

Post Sat, Nov 19 2016, 8:47 pm
I'm pretty new here and am looking for a school for DS. I've been trying to ask around but those two schools seem pretty new and I haven't found anyone who knew anything about them (I did hear a little bit about the older yeshivas in brooklyn, which is why I'm posting about these two which are newer). They could totally not be a fit for us, but I don't know anything about them (Just know of them from advertisements and google Smile...)

amother
Mint

Post Sat, Nov 19 2016, 8:50 pm
I send to ybt. My son loves school. His rebbeim are beyond excellent. It's a small school. I'm very happy sending there.

amother
Salmon

Post Sat, Nov 19 2016, 8:55 pm
amother wrote:
I send to ybt. My son loves school. His rebbeim are beyond excellent. It's a small school. I'm very happy sending there.

Thanks for the info. How big are the classes? What type of families send there? Also what's the level of learning like?

amother
Mint

Post Sat, Nov 19 2016, 9:00 pm
Families that send there range from yeshivish to jpf (just plain frum). I would say average class size is 6-8 boys. They learn a lot. My child is more advanced than his classmates so the teacher gave him extra work to accommodate his needs.

amother
Maroon

Post Sat, Nov 19 2016, 9:39 pm
I spoke to someone who sends her boys to YDA. She was very happy there tho her oldest was still young (pre1a or 1st). It seems to be run primarily like R zilberman' type yeshiva. It's Avery different educational method than the standard yeshivas; I don't know too many details tho.
I think it's also a range of types who send there. The person I know is very yeshivish.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Nov 20 2016, 12:54 am
Thanks for the info.

Do you (amother who sends for ybt) or anyone have the number to ybt? I only found the number for Yeshiva Darchei Aliyah.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Nov 20 2016, 1:07 am
I don't know these schools, but just wanted to tell you how important it is to visit during school hours and to get a sense of how the place is run. Then talk to parents. Good luck!

sweetdimples

Post Sun, Nov 20 2016, 2:52 am
My sis sends to yeshiva Darchei Aliyah. She is beyond happy there! I think they integrate the Montessori method as a primary way of educating. She only has good things to say about this school!

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Nov 20 2016, 3:17 am
Ybt is VERY yeshivish in hashkafah.
We interviewed there.
They do not accept students who have a tv in the house and inquire about internet usage (We were on the verge of getting rid of our tv, which someone gave us as a "gift", and actually did get rid of it. We were still deemed "not frum enough").
They made it very clear: they look for families with like-minded hashkafos.
They also told my husband it is modeled after the Israeli Chareidi school system, which is even more right wing then in the U.S.
One teacher I saw there was chassidishe.

amother
Mint

Post Sat, Nov 26 2016, 7:56 pm
[quote="amother"]Ybt is VERY yeshivish in hashkafah.
We interviewed there.
They do not accept students who have a tv in the house and inquire about internet usage (We were on the verge of getting rid of our tv, which someone gave us as a "gift", and actually did get rid of it. We were still deemed "not frum enough").
They made it very clear: they look for families with like-minded hashkafos.
They also told my husband it is modeled after the Israeli Chareidi school system, which is even more right wing then in the U.S.
One teacher I saw there was chassidishe.[/quote]

As do a lot of early elementary boys mainstream yeshivas. In the early grades many boys yeshivas put in chassidishe rebbeim as they are considered to be full of varmkeit (warmth). That is not exlusive to ybt. Derech aliya is a breakaway school from ybt. ybt # is 718-344-7790

amother
Cerulean

Post Sat, Nov 26 2016, 8:14 pm
YBT is more selective of students. They want a very frum crowd. YDA will take anyone and there are more modern families.

MimiMommy

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 9:27 pm
We've been with YBT for 3 years, in our 4th year now. The school has shrunk considerably since YDA started but we are still very happy with it- lots of personal attention. My son is learning a lot in both Judaic and secular studies. The parent body is mostly Yeshivish, but keep in mind that this is an unusual type of Yeshiva so these aren't "run of the mill" yeshivish. All the mothers I've met are super nice and warm. It's true that they're trying to stay very right-wing but I don't feel stifled there and I don't consider myself necessarily yeshivish. There are some chassidish rebbeim, and the Morah's are chassidish, but they don't teach in Yiddish and I haven't found it to impact my son's very litvak hashkafos he gets from our home. Feel free to PM with more questions.

babygirl40

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 12:44 pm
Also a YBT parent of 2 boys. Very customized, very different from mainstream...on the higher end. Selective parent-body (no TVs). Very happy there. pm me also for more.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 11:40 pm
any new information on Darchei aliya?
from which grade they start?

YDA current mom

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 1:33 pm
Nov 2018
My son currently attends Yeshiva Darchei Aliyah, based in Flatbush. He commutes from the five towns with several other boys - the school is that impressive!
YDA is headed by the dynamic Menahel Rabbi Sheftel Skaist. And the renowned Rabbi Jonathan Rietti, of Breakthrough Chinuch, consults regularly on curriculum, and pedagogy, offering direct mentoring and training to Rebbeim and Moros.
Contact the school office to learn more and to schedule a site visit! #718-975-0489.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics