Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Car Trauma

anony

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 2:28 pm
I have a serious fear of cars! I am starting to acknowledge that I might need therapy but a big part of me is also convinced that therapy won't really help. Has anyone been in therapy for this type of trauma? What has worked for you? I'm just wondering what a therapist could possibly do/say to not make me deathly afraid of driving in a car for hours at a time.. tia.

5*Mom

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 3:04 pm
anony wrote:
I have a serious fear of cars! I am starting to acknowledge that I might need therapy but a big part of me is also convinced that therapy won't really help. Has anyone been in therapy for this type of trauma? What has worked for you? I'm just wondering what a therapist could possibly do/say to not make me deathly afraid of driving in a car for hours at a time.. tia.
I think fear of cars and driving is a very common phobia. Look for a therapist who specializes in CBT for phobias. It's very treatable.

anony

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 3:15 pm
5*Mom wrote:
I think fear of cars and driving is a very common phobia. Look for a therapist who specializes in CBT for phobias. It's very treatable.

Thanks, just wondering if you are speaking from personal experience? I just want to know what exactly they can do to help me

enter

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 3:32 pm
Yes, there are options out there Smile

Is this a fear or trauma? There's talk therapy and then there's other therapies that deal with the body's response to trauma (or upbringing. Doesn't have to be major trauma).
Here's some options: there's exposure therapy, I remember learning about it as a (psychology) student, which basically exposes the fear very slowly to the patient with the guidance of the therapist. Then, there's EFT, also known as tapping therapy (based on belief that there's trapped energy in the body that once released, through a tapping method, helps you to feel calmer / face your fears / etc) For trauma, there's more options: EMDR, Brain-spotting, Somatic Experience. If you feel a physical feeling in your body when you think of cars (heat, heart racing, etc) it's likely trauma and the aim of these type of therapies are to give release to those feelings, so that you can do what you couldn't previously.

And yes, I crashed my car, cried the first times I touched a car again, but today I'm (happily) back on the roads.

You'll get more response if you re-post this question under a different section (such as, emotional health) as the one you have done it under does not allow anonymous posts.

Last edited by enter on Tue, Jan 10 2017, 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

Elizabeth W

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 3:43 pm
I have had therapy for fear of cars - I was involved in 2 serious car crashes - the fear is oh so real!

anony

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 4:26 pm
Elizabeth W wrote:
I have had therapy for fear of cars - I was involved in 2 serious car crashes - the fear is oh so real!

Thanks for sharing. What kind of therapy, and did you find it helpful?

I had trauma a couple of times, but I guess it's more a fear of future trauma? Thank G-d I'm able to be in cars, I'm just nervous all the time as a passenger: any (remotely) sudden stops, speed, etc etc.

BSD1

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 11:26 pm
Please look for a psychotherapist who does CBT and incorporates mindfulness and acceptance techniques. That is the gold standard treatment for the symptoms you are facing.

kiryat sefer

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 12:59 am
Fear of Driving Phobia – Vehophobia. You may have slight OCD which is an anxiety disorder. You may have OCD that you will harm someone or someone may harm you. and ERP can help Or CBT. You tell your brain; so what! I will die, I don't care what you have to say or do I am going into the car. Hashem should protect us from any tragedies.

kiryat sefer

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 1:04 am
Another theory with traumas I forgot the psychological term for it-my teacher better not hear this. I heard is first you look at pictures of a car, then you watch videos of a car, then you touch the car, then you sit in it for a few minutes then for a bit longer and then you do a drive around the block and then in town and so on and so forth.

anony

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 7:43 am
kiryat sefer wrote:
Another theory with traumas I forgot the psychological term for it-my teacher better not hear this. I heard is first you look at pictures of a car, then you watch videos of a car, then you touch the car, then you sit in it for a few minutes then for a bit longer and then you do a drive around the block and then in town and so on and so forth.

That wouldn't work for me, as I already drive in cars on a regular basis. I just get nervous all the time when I do so (mostly when other people are driving)

cnc

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 7:45 am
kiryat sefer wrote:

Exposure therapy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics