Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
S/O locks on doors?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 2:49 am
On a different thread locks on doors where mentioned as a way to child proof a house.
I am a bit confused. Where is this lock? On the toddlers door? On the mothers door?
Do people really lock their toddlers up to get a nap?
Do you only lack them up when they are sleeping? What if they wake up but you are still sleeping?

Teomima

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 3:52 am
I was one of the people talking about it on the other thread. In my case I was referring to a baby gate to my childproof living room. I've dozed on the couch with my kids secured in the room with me, by closing off the room with the gate, and sure I've left them alone in there while going to the bathroom or something. But it's a baby gate, not a door with a lock. We don't even have locks on any doors, except the bathrooms. Even if we did, I would never lock my children in their room.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 1:54 pm
We have a baby gate on the door. It's only for when she's sleeping, so she won't come out. If she wakes up before us and wants to come out, she calls for us and we come.

tigerwife

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 2:05 pm
Imagine a toddler who wakes up in middle of the night, climbs out of his crib, and wanders the house alone. Such a child MUST be secured in their room while the parents are sleeping for the night, lest the unthinkable may happen!

I thought it was crazy until it happened to me.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 2:09 pm
As someone who's kid locked himself in a room and then panicked, please make sure that all doors can be opened from the outside.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 2:16 pm
When there were kids in the house I installed sliding bolt locks high on the door frames of all the exterior doors and the exterior of the bathroom door. I also had one in the bedroom (inside) in case the SAHD was napping with a child. Our bathroom doors all had easy pick locks. They are made for bathrooms, and have a small hole in the middle of the exterior nob. Just stick a paperclip in there an you've picked the lock. I never had locks on the children's rooms and used a baby gate like others.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics