Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Sleeping while toddler playing
1  2  Next

ectomorph

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 9:50 pm
While pregnant I used to sleep on the floor with my toddler playing in our gated in living room. Do you consider this a reasonably safe thing to do?

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 9:54 pm
If he can't get out and everything inside the gated area is safe why not?
Your right there if something would happen you would hear.

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 10:19 pm
If it's gated and there's nothing dangerous nearby, I would think that's safe unless you are a very deep sleeper who wouldn't wake up from a troubling potentially dangerous sound.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 10:38 pm
There is a difference between sleeping and deep relaxing. As long as you're toddler is gated in a safe area with you in it, and if you heard anything strange (even a lot of loud rustling) you could open one eye and check, or jump up if necessary, it would be fine. Deep sleep that would be hard to rouse you from is not smart, even if it seems like there is nothing dangerous around. Same way you wouldn't leave your baby alone in their crib and leave the house.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 10:52 pm
I mean, Im sure no one intends to get into a deep sleep, but how would you know if it happens while you're sleeping?

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 10:56 pm
ectomorph wrote:
I mean, Im sure no one intends to get into a deep sleep, but how would you know if it happens while you're sleeping?

Well, if it happens once, I would worry that it might happen again.
I know myself. I never fall into a deep sleep, even at night (barring severe jetlag or taking unisom). So I'm somewhat conscious of what's going on, even when I drift off during the day. (I do it in my toddler's room, where everything is safe for him. I also know my toddler's personality. He is very clingy and insists that I or my husband be in the same room as him at all times, so chances that he would leave the room, even if it was unlocked, are very slim. You have to know your child.)

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 10:57 pm
I rarely nap with my child home. I send him to playgroup and try to nap for the last hour before I pick him up. On weekends, I have my husband watch him.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 11:07 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Well, if it happens once, I would worry that it might happen again.
I know myself. I never fall into a deep sleep, even at night (barring severe jetlag or taking unisom). So I'm somewhat conscious of what's going on, even when I drift off during the day. (I do it in my toddler's room, where everything is safe for him. I also know my toddler's personality. He is very clingy and insists that I or my husband be in the same room as him at all times, so chances that he would leave the room, even if it was unlocked, are very slim. You have to know your child.)

Interesting
I cannot control how deeply I sleep. I'm always tired. Sending kids out isn't always realistic. I think I have a good compromise with sleeping on the floor.

cinnabuns

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 11:27 pm
Please make sure everything is truly safe- no cabinets or dresses that could fall, nothing that could be a choking hazard, all outlets covered... Too many scary stories happen.. I know someone who, when their child started going out of the crib themselves, emptied out the room and put up a tall safety gate. Kid couldn't get out, and all he had was a matress and maybe a stuffed animal. He was safe, and soon learned to go back to sleep if he woke up too early.

Teomima

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 4:11 am
Sure. I've done this. I don't think it's ideal, if you find you need a daily nap it might be better to hire a neighbor/girl to come over for an hour a day so you can get some rest. But I've definitely dozed off with my children secured in a childproofed room with me. No harm done.

5*Mom

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 5:42 am
A 3 yr old is not a toddler. It's kind of a borderline age. Some 3 yr olds wouldn't get into trouble and are mature enough to be left to play alone, like in the morning before their parents wake up. I've had a few like this. And others, not so much. I've had a few like this, too. This is definitely not a black and white age.

anonymrs

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 9:01 am
I sleep in my bed while my 2 yr old looks at books and plays with one toy. I have nothing in my room besides beds, one night table, and her books and toy. All the outlets are covered and she doesn't know how to open the door.

ectomorph

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 10:14 am
Teomima wrote:
Sure. I've done this. I don't think it's ideal, if you find you need a daily nap it might be better to hire a neighbor/girl to come over for an hour a day so you can get some rest. But I've definitely dozed off with my children secured in a childproofed room with me. No harm done.
I agree with this. Was just surprised to see that some people think a person can never sleep with a toddler playing in the secure room. I was wondering if maybe this is less common than I realized.

Aylat

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 10:53 am
Have done this too. I think it's fine and normal.

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 10:56 am
I wouldn't do this, I think young children need supervision. Would you be upset if your paid babysitter did that?

mha3484

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 11:20 am
I would not. My two year old still naps so if I need to lay down I do it when its his nap time. I am not neurotic but that is one of the few things that makes me very anxious.

pesek zman

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 12:49 pm
I would never do this. Not even on Yom Kippur. You need to get more sleep. I know it's easier said than done but I think it's important to get to the root of the problem (your tiredness) I rely on a cup of good strong coffee but a little caffein goes a long way in helping to get you through the day

gp2.0

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 1:03 pm
I've done it now and then when I was desperate. But dozing lightly in a childproof room together with your kids, who have proven they can play quietly during that time, while not ideal, is very different than some of the stories that were posted here - particularly the mother sleeping while her kids hurt each other and one took off his pamper and played with his poop.

ectomorph

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 1:07 pm
pesek zman wrote:
I would never do this. Not even on Yom Kippur. You need to get more sleep. I know it's easier said than done but I think it's important to get to the root of the problem (your tiredness) I rely on a cup of good strong coffee but a little caffein goes a long way in helping to get you through the day
to be clear, I don't do it anymore... I have 2 now and put them in their cribs after feeding and changed diapers if I start collapsing.
I can't take coffee. Makes me sick.
I was just curious. I see that it was borderline of what people do. I didn't have household help at the time.
I think if you are in a very safe situation, it's fine. I used to wake up and my toddler (aged 1) would have arranged his toys around me... So I was surrounded by toys. I would not do it with 2 kids... Too much damage potential.

ectomorph

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 1:08 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
I've done it now and then when I was desperate. But dozing lightly in a childproof room together with your kids, who have proven they can play quietly during that time, while not ideal, is very different than some of the stories that were posted here - particularly the mother sleeping while her kids hurt each other and one took off his pamper and played with his poop.
yeah that story was horrifying. In general children cannot have the run of the house without supervision.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics