Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Do your armchairs fit under your table?

harriet

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 2:40 pm
I was recently told by a (frum) store that they no longer make dining room sets where the arm chairs are able to be pushed close to the table (the height of the arms are too high and prevent them from being pushed in). I am wondering if is indeed the case.

Please let me know if you have bought a dining room set (recently) and you can slide the chairs in. If you have, I'd love to hear where you bought it from too.

Thanks!

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 3:28 pm
I bought my dining room set a little over a year ago and the armchairs fit under the table. Bought it at d&w.

bookie

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 3:29 pm
Mine is about ten years old from Sterns, the chairs do not go under the table.

youngishbear

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 3:30 pm
harriet wrote:
I was recently told by a (frum) store that they no longer make dining room sets where the arm chairs are able to be pushed close to the table (the height of the arms are too high and prevent them from being pushed in). I am wondering if is indeed the case.

Please let me know if you have bought a dining room set (recently) and you can slide the chairs in. If you have, I'd love to hear where you bought it from too.

Thanks!

Mine didn't, but I raised the table a tiny bit. They sell such plastic pieces at the hardware store for this purpose.

harriet

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 3:38 pm
youngishbear wrote:
Mine didn't, but I raised the table a tiny bit. They sell such plastic pieces at the hardware store for this purpose.

Maybe I'll do that. Do you know what the pieces are called?

And those of you whose chairs don't slide under... doesn't that bother you, or is that only me?!!?

pause

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 3:41 pm
I also raised the table, but now I find my table kinda high when sitting on a regular chair.

youngishbear

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 3:43 pm
pause wrote:
I also raised the table, but now I find my table kinda high when sitting on a regular chair.

Fortunately didn't need to raise it much.

youngishbear

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 3:44 pm
harriet wrote:

And those of you whose chairs don't slide under... doesn't that bother you, or is that only me?!!?

Sorry, I don't.

I think the size of the room makes a big difference in how much this issue bothers you. My room was very crowded, and every inch made a difference.

sky

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 3:56 pm
Mine do not.
I think the reason many don't is because they sell you an expensive Italian table and the cost of the chairs would be prohibitive so the stores mix and match pieces from different companies to bring the cost of the chairs down.

My dining room isn't huge and I don't like how the chairs stick out at all. I don't keep them by the table. I keep them on the side of the room as seating. I don't even use them when I have more guests because they are so big and bulky. IN many ways I wish I would have just skipped the arm chairs and gotten all regular chairs - DH is more comfortable without the arm rests.

Blessing1

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 4:02 pm
I had someone cut off a price of wood from both sides of the table so I should be able to push the armchairs in.

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 4:18 pm
I have a large antique set and the chairs don't fit under. My mother also has antique and they don't fit under. So it's not only new sets that are like this.
It doesn't bother me at all but I've got a pretty roomy dining room. I can see where it would be difficult in a smaller space.

harriet

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 5:29 pm
It's not a space issue for me, I just don't like a) the way it looks and b) sitting on a chair that I can't bring under the table a little!

Growing

Post Sun, Jan 15 2017, 5:47 pm
Mine don't. It bothers me. I feel pretty validated now. I also enjoyed the varied responses

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 7:14 am
We got dining chairs without arms and one with for dh. It doesn't push in, but that's okay. I don't see the benefit of arms on a dining chair unless it doubles as a club chair.

Mrs. Annie

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 7:33 am
harriet wrote:

Mines don't slide in and it bothers me, I have a small room.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics