Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Guttman OT - Please respond if you know about them!
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Jan 18 2016, 10:09 am
anyone??!?!?!how does this makes sensse-no one went to them?

sourstix

Post Mon, Jan 18 2016, 10:21 am
why dont you ask the guttmans themselves to give a couple of numbers aof people that came to them in the past 2 years or more? tell them you want success stories.

Brooklynmom1

Post Tue, Mar 15 2016, 10:58 pm
I have been seeing them with my son for almost a year and a half.

The therapists are very professional. Educated and well spoken.
They are very dedicated to their program.

The routine is different for everyone. You must be committed to the program and do the exercises daily.

For us the program was a little more intense in the beginning we had things to do 3 times a day but that has tapered down to just 3 minutes before bed. We see the therapists once every 6 weeks and they charge around $250 a visit. (After the initial $1600 eval)

Am I seeing results? I don't know. That's why I'm searching the Internet for answers and stumbled on this thread.

My son is clearly not as aggressive emotional or difficult as he was when we began but he is also 2 years older. Some of his success can surely be attributed to maturity.

I cannot find anyone who will vouch for the program 2 years after they were done. I can't find anyone who will vouch for the program at all.

They told me their approach is a lasting approach as opposed to other methods and I believed them but I wish I could find 1 client who will say their child was helped.
I did ask for and call references. The women I spoke with were hesitant to give me a reference. They both said they dropped out after a long time because they just felt it was going nowhere.

There is no doubt in my mind that they are doing something to my sons neurological system.

He experiences "reactions " to new exercises that are very over the top. He becomes aggressive , emotional and difficult to handle but I was warned from the beginning that it's part of the process. The reactions only last a few days and if I knew with certainty that this was helping I would have no problem with it.

If you are reading this and you have really been helped or know someone who has please let us know.

I am in the middle of trying to decide whether I should continue or drop it. I'm afraid I will regret it later if I don't see it to the end however I'm getting a nagging feeling that maybe I'm on the wrong path.

If anyone has seen the program through to the end I would really love to speak with you if possible
And if anyone has any questions for me please feel free to pm me.

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Mar 15 2016, 11:04 pm
sharon1234 wrote:
I have been seeing them with my son for almost a year and a half.

The therapists are very professional. Educated and well spoken.
They are very dedicated to their program.

The routine is different for everyone. You must be committed to the program and do the exercises daily.

For us the program was a little more intense in the beginning we had things to do 3 times a day but that has tapered down to just 3 minutes before bed. We see the therapists once every 6 weeks and they charge around $250 a visit. (After the initial $1600 eval)

Am I seeing results? I don't know. That's why I'm searching the Internet for answers and stumbled on this thread.

My son is clearly not as aggressive emotional or difficult as he was when we began but he is also 2 years older. Some of his success can surely be attributed to maturity.

I cannot find anyone who will vouch for the program 2 years after they were done. I can't find anyone who will vouch for the program at all.

They told me their approach is a lasting approach as opposed to other methods and I believed them but I wish I could find 1 client who will say their child was helped.
I did ask for and call references. The women I spoke with were hesitant to give me a reference. They both said they dropped out after a long time because they just felt it was going nowhere.

There is no doubt in my mind that they are doing something to my sons neurological system.

He experiences "reactions " to new exercises that are very over the top. He becomes aggressive , emotional and difficult to handle but I was warned from the beginning that it's part of the process. The reactions only last a few days and if I knew with certainty that this was helping I would have no problem with it.

If you are reading this and you have really been helped or know someone who has please let us know.

I am in the middle of trying to decide whether I should continue or drop it. I'm afraid I will regret it later if I don't see it to the end however I'm getting a nagging feeling that maybe I'm on the wrong path.

If anyone has seen the program through to the end I would really love to speak with you if possible
And if anyone has any questions for me please feel free to pm me.

How much longer is "the end"...

Brooklynmom1

Post Tue, Mar 15 2016, 11:47 pm
I wish I knew.

They keep telling me it's a process.

I was so hyped up and confident that this was the answer.

I have a lot of people around me saying I'm nuts and that my son is just a boy. Boys act out sometimes.

He has some sensory issues for sure.

It's just so odd that nobody is able to say "my child was helped"

seeker

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 12:01 am
That does sound odd. Did they give you any projection of how long they expect to continue? How old is your son?

You will never know if it is time or the program or some combination or something else, but don't assume that time and maturity would have had similar results because in most cases of anyone I know, over two childhood years untreated problems tend to become worse or stay the same. I don't know exactly what issues and what age you're talking about but it is relatively quite unusual for anything to get better on its own, especially sensory things which sometimes by adulthood people learn how to handle better, often don't, and children close to never do.

I don't know what to tell you. I would feel exactly the same way as you - close to giving up but hesitant to lose the work I'd already put in.

I can say that I was using a similar approach (as far as I can tell; I'm not 100% clear on what their approach is) at one point in my life that was helping, and I stopped for logistical reasons, and I really regret it. I'm not sure if the results would have lasted longer if I'd continued the program or if they would have just continued as long as I continued participating, but in any case I experienced a regression after quitting and wished I hadn't quit because even if I did restart it would be from a lower stage. If that makes any sense. Of course as always there could be any number of variables at play and in a study of 1 we'll never know.

Brooklynmom1

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 10:53 am
I will share what they do for my son. I don't know if this is their only method but it's all I know.
They said he has retained his neonatal reflexes. Reflexes that all babies are born with and which should slowly fall away as babies develope. They say that when they don't disappear it causes issues.
I'm over simplifying of course but that's the basic.
I have scoured the Internet for definitive answers on this method of treating children.
The ones who provide the service rave about results
The ones who don't dismiss it as a fad.
My 6 year old son suffers from the effects of a retained Moro reflex. Fight or flight.
When he feels "threatened " he reacts explosively.
If his sister borrows his pencil without asking he will pounce like a tiger. Out of nowhere.
Since he has sensory issues a lot of things trigger the fight or flight. Loud music , too many voices talking at once
Strong smells
So I was dealing with a relatively normal child unless there was a threat. Real or perceived. Then it would start. Dull eyes , change of tone in his voice to a monotone. He would repeat my words instead of talking. Like he "wasn't there"
No diagnosis. Drs insist he does not have any of the "alphabet conditions" ( add ocd adhd etc) and of course I'm grateful .
He does well in school , he's a little shy but listens well and has friends he only acts out at home.
People tell me I'm too soft on him he needs more discipline but they don't see what he's like in those moments. I should not let him hit or throw things obviously but it comes on so fast I almost have no warning.
I so badly want this therapy to work but as time goes by and the people around me continue to tell me it's silly. And that I'm wasting my time and energy I am starting to get worn down. Maybe that's just how some boys are?

That's why I was hoping to find anyone who did this and saw results.

seeker

Post Wed, Mar 16 2016, 2:06 pm
Are you doing anything else at the same time to address his "fight/flight" problem more explicitly? I find that a combination is important. for my own children as well as students who have these types of issues, we use OT and other strategies to help alleviate the sensory and sensorimotor factors but also at the same time teach, practice, and reinforce social, emotional, and behavioral strategies to help them consciously cope with the triggery feelings.

for example the OT may be teaching the parents how to do massages and sound therapy and whatever else to help the child be less sensitive, but meanwhile we're also teaching the child to notice when they are beginning to feel overwhelmed and self-advocate and self-regulate by saying "I feel overwhelmed. Can I go to my quiet spot now (or whatever calming tool works)?" instead of having a meltdown.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 1:03 am
Mother who had been working with Guttmans for a while and said was a long process so hadn't seen results yet. Now it's quite a bit of time later wanted to hear how it's been going? Are you happy with outcome? Can you see definitive results?

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 1:31 am
I am an OT and I would like to weigh in. The prices seem insane and the amount of "homework" is clearly not realistic for a mom with other kids. Sensory issues are "fluffy" and not so evidence based that I would pay an exorbitant amount for a program like this. Yes there is truth to what they say, reflexes that are not integrated can cause hypersensitivity which may lead to bhavioral issuea, but its not like u do two exercises a week and ur kid will be fine! A lot of "sensory" kids are behavioral kids who also have some degree of sensory processing issues, which any school or local OT is capable of treating. I just feel like the price is not justifiable for such a fluffy field where you dont neccessarily see improvement. Try reading "ready body ready minds" sounds exactly like what they do. Its not rocket science...

seeker

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 1:45 am
I can't weigh in on whether or not these particular OTs are fluffy, but I beg to differ on sensory issues being fluffy. I personally experienced them and it is absolutely true that sensory issues which may seem minor on their own can cause a cascade of behavioral and learning problems that would otherwise simply not exist.

Two exercises a week will not make a sensory kid "fine" and some methods people try for sensory kids are just barking up the wrong tree. But there are things that work and there are things that are worth trying. Are there less expensive things that work? I sure hope so. But calling the whole idea fluffy just feels insulting to someone whose entire life sometimes seems to be defined by it.

cnc

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 7:38 am
seeker wrote:
I can't weigh in on whether or not these particular OTs are fluffy, but I beg to differ on sensory issues being fluffy. I personally experienced them and it is absolutely true that sensory issues which may seem minor on their own can cause a cascade of behavioral and learning problems that would otherwise simply not exist.

Two exercises a week will not make a sensory kid "fine" and some methods people try for sensory kids are just barking up the wrong tree. But there are things that work and there are things that are worth trying. Are there less expensive things that work? I sure hope so. But calling the whole idea fluffy just feels insulting to someone whose entire life sometimes seems to be defined by it.

I agree with every word that you wrote here. And I find it a little scary that the poster that wrote this identified herself as an OT.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 9:07 am
cnc wrote:
I agree with every word that you wrote here. And I find it a little scary that the poster that wrote this identified herself as an OT.

I'm an OT as well. I have a feeling that the previous poster is either a new graduate, or never studied the subject in depth. I hope people don't take her as representing all OTs.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 6:04 pm
they homework they give is a set of exercises 2 times a day, not week

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 6:11 pm
Nope I am workinb for 8 years and please do not take what I said and blow it out of proportion. Of course sensory stuff is the basis for everything, bit pouring 1000s of dollars into this program seems a little absurd. Have you read the whole topic from all the comments? No one is saying they see a clear, marked improvement with their child even following the program. So, there is nothing wrong to pointing out, that this is not like medical intervention where you give the medicine and the child is better. No this is a program that has no guarantee pretty much, no one can prove that if you provide the SI and integrate the reflexes, the childs issues will go away. Sorry for those who are utterly horrified.

cnc

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 6:17 pm
amother wrote:
Nope I am workinb for 8 years and please do not take what I said and blow it out of proportion. Of course sensory stuff is the basis for everything, bit pouring 1000s of dollars into this program seems a little absurd. Have you read the whole topic from all the comments? No one is saying they see a clear, marked improvement with their child even following the program. So, there is nothing wrong to pointing out, that this is not like medical intervention where you give the medicine and the child is better. No this is a program that has no guarantee pretty much, no one can prove that if you provide the SI and integrate the reflexes, the childs issues will go away. Sorry for those who are utterly horrified.

This I agree with. I will quote your previous post and state what I do not agree with.

cnc

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 6:21 pm
amother wrote:
I am an OT and I would like to weigh in. The prices seem insane and the amount of "homework" is clearly not realistic for a mom with other kids. Sensory issues are "fluffy" and not so evidence based that I would pay an exorbitant amount for a program like this. Yes there is truth to what they say, reflexes that are not integrated can cause hypersensitivity which may lead to bhavioral issuea, but its not like u do two exercises a week and ur kid will be fine! A lot of "sensory" kids are behavioral kids who also have some degree of sensory processing issues, which any school or local OT is capable of treating. I just feel like the price is not justifiable for such a fluffy field where you dont neccessarily see improvement. Try reading "ready body ready minds" sounds exactly like what they do. Its not rocket science...

My child's sensory issues are most certainly not able to be treated by any local or school OT. You can say that if a child needs help with their handwriting ,not if they have severe sensory issues or SPD. We have only seen progress after trying four OTs.
(We are.currently with that OT for the third year in a row....)
I also don't feel like sensory issues are "fluffy" at all...
I definitely see a difference when my child is on a sensory diet.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 7:03 pm
I've been with the Guttmans for almost two years and I'm seeing big changes! My son is a different child. He is almost done with the program.
He was previously diagnosed on the spectrum and now, after a lot of hard work, a lot of his symptoms are falling away. We are so greatfull to them.

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 2:06 pm
any one else with updates?

seeker

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 3:35 pm
cnc wrote:
My child's sensory issues are most certainly not able to be treated by any local or school OT. You can say that if a child needs help with their handwriting ,not if they have severe sensory issues or SPD. We have only seen progress after trying four OTs.
(We are.currently with that OT for the third year in a row....)
I also don't feel like sensory issues are "fluffy" at all...
I definitely see a difference when my child is on a sensory diet.

In my experience school or RSA (I.e. cost covered by the dept of ed because school doesn't have in house) OTs can be very helpful with SPD. You need handwriting and things like that to get it mandated by the DOE but because the OTs are trained professionals familiar with the gamut of OT issues they will work with all of the child's needs. You can even have it put on the IEP goals as something that affects the child in school - e.g. focusing, classroom behavior, etc.

I've had great experiences with dept of ed OTs both for my own child and students I work with. Of course not all therapists are created equal but my point is that you don't necessarily have to pay thousands out of pocket for help with sensory issues.

Though I do think it is true that some people are helped dramatically by alternative methods that not all OTs do. But I did have a DOE OT once who did reflex integration, which is one of the things that these specialized OTs talk about, and considered it part of regular OT though a more expert level of it - like she had gone to special trainings for that beyond her original OT degree. We're not with that OT anymore for various reasons but our current OT who is more standard has been very effective in many ways.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics