Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Bizarre Rules
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 6:50 pm
I read an article about bizarre rules people had growing up. I thought it would be interesting to hear if anyone here grew up with bizarre rules or currently has bizarre rules that their family has to follow. Did you grow up with any bizarre rules and/or do you make your family follow them (or new bizarre rules) today?

http://www.knowable.com/a/peop.....r/p-1

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 7:17 pm
We weren't allowed to drink soda after eating fish during Shabbat dinner, only grape juice. I have no idea why...

ectomorph

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 7:35 pm
No, no bizarre rules.

Blessing1

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 7:42 pm
Amother puce, this is not bizarre. Many people make a lechayim after the fish, I'm guessing that's why you had grape juice.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 7:53 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
Amother puce, this is not bizarre. Many people make a lechayim after the fish, I'm guessing that's why you had grape juice.

Only boys do lechayim which they did more towards the end of the meal. But no one was allowed to drink soda after fish course and even if we had grape juice already,we still weren't allowed to drink soda until after the next course. Bizarre.

tulips12

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 8:37 pm
According to the Rambam you should not drink water with food. I remember hearing it specifically with fish.

cozyblanket

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 8:41 pm
amother wrote:
Only boys do lechayim which they did more towards the end of the meal. But no one was allowed to drink soda after fish course and even if we had grape juice already,we still weren't allowed to drink soda until after the next course. Bizarre.

I do that kind of thing to limit my kid's soda consumption. If it were up to me, we wouldn't have it in the house at all. But DH does help me limit it to 2 half cups per meal. urgh, I hate soda!

gp2.0

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 8:57 pm
I know some families who don't serve any drinks at the shabbos table after washing until after the fish course.

There's an Eastern European superstition about whistling. As a kid I remember many of my peers were convinced that whistling attracts shedim and that whistling is muktzeh on shabbos (both untrue.)

Many of the bizarre rules in that quote are actually from mentally ill parents who were hoarders or had OCD. Also, redditors like to make stuff up. So only half the content on Reddit is actually true. I suspect the "no pooping at home" one is made up.

One of my classmates had a rule that everyone had to take off their shoes when coming in and put on a pair of house slippers. I didn't mind taking off my shoes but wearing someone else's old slippers was gross.

Another classmate's parents only allowed orange juice on Shabbos. Which wouldn't have been that weird except she asked me what I wanted to drink and I innocently asked for the orange juice I saw in the fridge. She told me I couldn't have any, then her mom insisted that guests could have some, and I had to choke down the orange juice which wasn't a novelty for me while my classmate watched enviously.

I also stayed at someones house once who refused to let anyone leave the table until they finished all their food. Well my friend ate the vegetables for me when her moms back was turned and we both got dessert. So there! 😂

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 9:06 pm
My BF grew up with a doctor's scale in her kitchen. She and her sisters had morning weigh in. If on any day they were over a pound above what their mother determined to be ideal weight they were put on a strict diet. The surprising part of this story is that none of them ended up with an eating disorder.

cozyblanket

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 9:08 pm
amother wrote:
My BF grew up with a doctor's scale in her kitchen. She and her sisters had morning weigh in. If on any day they were over a pound above what their mother determined to be ideal weight they were put on a strict diet. The surprising part of this story is that none of them ended up with an eating disorder.

Oy!!

scrltfr

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 9:08 pm
On shabbos we weren't allowed to drink until after the soup course. We also weren't allowed to drink soda with a dairy meal.

youngishbear

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 9:16 pm
What if the kids grew up and never discovered that their rule was considered bizarre?

I wonder how many of us had that.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 9:44 pm
When I was a little girl my mother didn't let me eat anything with red food coloring because she said it would turn my stomach red. Anything with food coloring like orange soda was a special treat but red food coloring was never allowed. When I was six years old I stole a pack of red candy from the grocery store because I was so desperate to try some.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 10:31 pm
I wasn't allowed to wear anything black because black is s-xy. And no open toed shoes either, toes are s-xy. No crossing the street by myself until I was 14. No movies with "real people" in it.

agreer

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 10:49 pm
amother wrote:

yikes! this is awful.

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 10:52 pm
scrltfr wrote:
On shabbos we weren't allowed to drink until after the soup course. We also weren't allowed to drink soda with a dairy meal.

Interesting. This was mentioned above also in another post. I have a similar rule here and I don't think it's bizarre at all.
If my kids drink, they are not hungry after. They load up on the drink especially if it's a sweet drink like we may have on Shabbos (ONLY). And then they claim they're not hungry...they're so stuffed. But it's all from the drinking, it's just that they're bloated. So I say no drinks till we're done the soup. They can have water though.

shanie5

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 10:56 pm
We were not allowed to lock the door on shabbos day. And friends were supposed to just knock once and let themselves in-so we didn't have to constantly get up to answer the door.

I don't lock my door on shabbos either.

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 10:59 pm
We had to pour water over our hands before eating bread.

We had to utter special phrases before drinking or eating anything, even water!

We weren't allowed to eat cheeseburgers.

Oh. Wait...

petiteruchy

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 11:02 pm
No throwing oranges at the table!

That was my mom's rule 'cause my dad was a joker and would start winging oranges to us from the fruit bowl after dinner. One too many water glasses overturned and the rule was born!

We started saying it to each other again and laughing when we were visiting a couple weeks ago and my kids and husband were so confused.

My dad also had a special soda bottle in the fridge that only he was allowed to have... We'd sneak into the kitchen to get a sip, waiting to see if he'd hear us from his office. And we used to have really lovely fresh dates but were only allowed one at a time because they'd make us constipated. I thought the rules were bizarre as a kid but now that I have my own ravenous horde, I get that he was just trying to save some goodies for himself.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 11:02 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
I know some families who don't serve any drinks at the shabbos table after washing until after the fish course.

There's an Eastern European superstition about whistling. As a kid I remember many of my peers were convinced that whistling attracts shedim and that whistling is muktzeh on shabbos (both untrue.)

Many of the bizarre rules in that quote are actually from mentally ill parents who were hoarders or had OCD. Also, redditors like to make stuff up. So only half the content on Reddit is actually true. I suspect the "no pooping at home" one is made up.

One of my classmates had a rule that everyone had to take off their shoes when coming in and put on a pair of house slippers. I didn't mind taking off my shoes but wearing someone else's old slippers was gross.

Another classmate's parents only allowed orange juice on Shabbos. Which wouldn't have been that weird except she asked me what I wanted to drink and I innocently asked for the orange juice I saw in the fridge. She told me I couldn't have any, then her mom insisted that guests could have some, and I had to choke down the orange juice which wasn't a novelty for me while my classmate watched enviously.

I also stayed at someones house once who refused to let anyone leave the table until they finished all their food. Well my friend ate the vegetables for me when her moms back was turned and we both got dessert. So there! 😂

My husband still believes this. (Only indoors though - whistling outside is fine.)
Page 1 of 7   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics