Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Bizarre Rules
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 11:08 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
I know some families who don't serve any drinks at the shabbos table after washing until after the fish course.

There's an Eastern European superstition about whistling. As a kid I remember many of my peers were convinced that whistling attracts shedim and that whistling is muktzeh on shabbos (both untrue.)

Many of the bizarre rules in that quote are actually from mentally ill parents who were hoarders or had OCD. Also, redditors like to make stuff up. So only half the content on Reddit is actually true. I suspect the "no pooping at home" one is made up.

One of my classmates had a rule that everyone had to take off their shoes when coming in and put on a pair of house slippers. I didn't mind taking off my shoes but wearing someone else's old slippers was gross.

Another classmate's parents only allowed orange juice on Shabbos. Which wouldn't have been that weird except she asked me what I wanted to drink and I innocently asked for the orange juice I saw in the fridge. She told me I couldn't have any, then her mom insisted that guests could have some, and I had to choke down the orange juice which wasn't a novelty for me while my classmate watched enviously.

I also stayed at someones house once who refused to let anyone leave the table until they finished all their food. Well my friend ate the vegetables for me when her moms back was turned and we both got dessert. So there! 😂

You just reminded me, I was once at a shabbos sleepover at around age 8. There were at least 7 or 8 girls there, plus the parents and siblings. I needed the bathroom so I got up to go but the father told me to sit back down and proceeded to say the rule that no one is allowed to leave the table. I remember turning beer red with embarrassment. I was so uncomfortable, but to embarrassed to say that I needed the bathroom. I wish people would be more careful in the way they treat little kids.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 11:09 pm
My parents were highly dysfunctional. My mother determined who got what to eat. It's hard to explain but if there was deli in the fridge it was for my brothers, and if they wanted a sandwich after school they could make it. If I wanted a sandwich, I got leftover veggies from the night before. If I didn't eat what was on my plate it was fed to me until I finished it, breakfast lunch and supper. I could be eating the same cold cr@p for days.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 11:12 pm
We had separate milchig and fleishig ketchup. Rolling Eyes In case someone touched it to their food. We weren't allowed to go over to peoples' houses if they had a TV (including relatives who didn't live too far away but whom we grew up having little to do with as a result).
Paskesz candy and Wise chips weren't kosher enough for some reason (Liebers was fine).
We weren't allowed to go to sleepovers. ("She lives a block away. You can sleep in your own bed and play during the day." "But everyone is going!" "You're not going.")
I think there were points when we weren't allowed to wear denim. (But then we were?)
My BT parents were pretty neurotic. I'm sure if I think about this for a while I'll come up with more.

gp2.0

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 11:13 pm
amother wrote:
My husband still believes this. (Only indoors though - whistling outside is fine.)

Check this out:
http://www.experienceproject.c.....34740

Quote:
No whistling......especially at night. The belief is whistling caused evil spirits to come.
No cutting your nails at night. The belief is, cutting your nails at night shortens your life.
Never hand a knife directly to someone, always set it down for them to pick up. The belief is that it causes turmoil and fights between you and the other person.
Not to step over anyone. The belief is that, the person will remain short.
Never eat food out of the pot. The belief is that it will rain on your wedding day. This one I believe because I used to eat out of the pot all the time, and it did rain on my wedding day in June....go figure. My mom turned to me and said "I warned you about that, didn't I".

Ha. The stepping over people superstition is familiar too. As is a whole long list of things that will cause rain on your wedding day.

And from Wikipedia:

Quote:
In Russian and other Slavic cultures (also in Romania and the Baltic states), whistling indoors is superstitiously believed to bring poverty ("whistling money away"), whereas whistling outdoors is considered normal. In Estonia it is also widely believed that whistling indoors may bring bad luck and therefore set the house on fire.

Last edited by gp2.0 on Mon, Jan 16 2017, 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 11:17 pm
amother wrote:
We had separate milchig and fleishig ketchup. Rolling Eyes In case someone touched it to their food. We weren't allowed to go over to peoples' houses if they had a TV (including relatives who didn't live too far away but whom we grew up having little to do with as a result).
Paskesz candy and Wise chips weren't kosher enough for some reason (Liebers was fine).
We weren't allowed to go to sleepovers. ("She lives a block away. You can sleep in your own bed and play during the day." "But everyone is going!" "You're not going.")
I think there were points when we weren't allowed to wear denim. (But then we were?)
My BT parents were pretty neurotic. I'm sure if I think about this for a while I'll come up with more.

whaddaya know? another 'bizarre' rule that I have. When my kids pour ketchup they literally hold it so low down so the cover dips onto the chicken, or onto the pizza. I don't like the idea of knowing that the crumbs could transfer from one to the other. Am I the only one who has separate ketchup bottles?

Don't have any of your other rules though!

cinnabuns

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 11:21 pm
The sleepover rule I totally get. It's a well known rule 'out there'.. too many people have been s-xually abused by their friends father/brother/sister...

poelmamosh

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 11:30 pm
amother wrote:

Some of these seem over top, but to explain the bolded (we grew up with the same):
Wise chips were not bishul yisroel, which some are makpid about wrt to potato chips (corn products and Pringles were fine though). Paskesz candy made in Europe uses some colorings extracted from insects. The Rav hamachshir considers them kosher, the source of gelatins are also not so strict. I'm sorry no one explained this to you growing up.
We've had some ultra-religious guests from Israel over the years. The only American hechsher they'd eat was Liebers (Rabbi Weissmandl)

poelmamosh

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 11:35 pm
Anyway, we were only allowed soda after we finished the first and third courses on Shabbos, and it had to be poured by my father--we got about an inch worth each time. My parents no longer buy soda, but when we eat there on Shabbos, my father still insists that the adults pour all the drinks.

Raisin

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 5:25 am
I don't think the soda rule is so bizarre. Whatever way that works to limit it is fine. Not letting anyone drink anything at all including water is very odd.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 5:42 am
No sleepovers too. Much to my dismay.
NO avrohom fried or mordechai Ben David. Only music we could listen to was uncle moishy or 613 torah avenue - even as teenagers.
NO Nash apart from half a packet for shabbos party. Sad I just learned to steal it...
When dad comes home, everyone must flee and keep out of his way.
When dad and mum were eating supper, their door was closed and no one was allowed in.
Were not allowed to enter parents bedroom, not even if had nightmares.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 6:32 am
tulips12 wrote:
According to the Rambam you should not drink water with food. I remember hearing it specifically with fish.

Weird, given that water is their natural habitat - maybe in case they come alive again?!?! shock

israelimom

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 7:01 am
No opening umbrellas in the house. No cutting tags off of clothing that one was wearing. I grew up with these but don't "observe" them now.

As far as the OJ story above goes, we only have OJ at break-fasts. No juice in this household ever, so it's a real treat!

imasoftov

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 7:23 am
gp2.0 wrote:
There's an Eastern European superstition about whistling. As a kid I remember many of my peers were convinced that whistling attracts shedim and that whistling is muktzeh on shabbos (both untrue.)

Also a category error. No action is muktzeh, only objects are.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 7:23 am
Wow. I can't remember the last time I wanted a "hug" feature in a thread so badly. I'm feeling much better about my parenting skills now, and a lot better about my parents!

I am so very sorry for everyone who had such craziness in their homes. Hug Hug Hug

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 8:18 am
amother wrote:

Omg! We had very similar rules!!! I was reading your post out loud to DH and he said that sounds like your mothers rules. Lol. We didn't have the ketchup rule or tv rule but the Wise chips we had. What didn't make sense to me was that we are OU so what was wrong with Wise? And not only that, if someone gave us Wise chips we could eat it but we weren't allowed to BUY it!
I had the same rule about denim and then when it was convenient for her all of a sudden denim was ok. My school had the no Paskez rule and were anti sleepovers with multiple girls so my mother just followed that rule too.
And my mother is a BT too.

zigi

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 8:43 am
my mother didn't like kids in black. it was a color for funerals etc. not young children.

zigi

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 8:46 am
poelmamosh wrote:
Anyway, we were only allowed soda after we finished the first and third courses on Shabbos, and it had to be poured by my father--we got about an inch worth each time. My parents no longer buy soda, but when we eat there on Shabbos, my father still insists that the adults pour all the drinks.

I kind of understand why, my kids pour and then spill half a bottle on the table. I allow soda by the second course. b/c then it becomes the highlight of the meal and any kid who would have eaten the fish course only wants soda etc.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 8:51 am
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
Omg! We had very similar rules!!! I was reading your post out loud to DH and he said that sounds like your mothers rules. Lol. We didn't have the ketchup rule or tv rule but the Wise chips we had. What didn't make sense to me was that we are OU so what was wrong with Wise? And not only that, if someone gave us Wise chips we could eat it but we weren't allowed to BUY it!
I had the same rule about denim and then when it was convenient for her all of a sudden denim was ok. My school had the no Paskez rule and were anti sleepovers with multiple girls so my mother just followed that rule too.
And my mother is a BT too.

Someone mentioned above already. Wise potato chips are not bishul yisroel. Some people hold that potatoes need to be bishul yisroel , because it is 'Oleh al shulchan melachim' ( a respectable food) and some hold it does not need to be. OU holds it does not need to be and so they certify non Jewish potato chips companies. But if a family believes potatoes need to be cooked by a Jew, they can't eat Wise, Utz, etc..

cnc

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 8:57 am
amother wrote:
whaddaya know? another 'bizarre' rule that I have. When my kids pour ketchup they literally hold it so low down so the cover dips onto the chicken, or onto the pizza. I don't like the idea of knowing that the crumbs could transfer from one to the other. Am I the only one who has separate ketchup bottles?

Don't have any of your other rules though!

Also separate ketchup bottles.I don't think is a bizarre rule at all. I learned that it's preferable because you'll be transferring your macaroni and cheese oil/ crumbs to your meatballs and vice versa etc...

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 9:23 am
No walking around the house in socks. You had to either wear shoes/ slippers or take your socks off.
Page 2 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics