Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Anyone dyes their Sheitel themselves? Which dye? How?

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 1:16 pm
I have a sheitel that got too yellow and needs to be darkened. I only wear it under hats and dont want to invest in a professional dye job.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 1:26 pm
My hair color is a very particular shade of auburn that is nearly impossible to find. I end up buying something in a color that is close to what I want, but lighter, and then blend the colors myself. I also fix sun damaged sheitels for friends.

I won't use anything except Clairol Natural Instincts. It gives the most gorgeous color, is deep conditioning, and does the least damage to the hair. Anything stronger will ruin the strength of the hair, and you'll end up with dry, frizzy, split ends all over the place.

Go one shade lighter than you think you'll need to balance out the sun bleaching, and go for a slightly ashier (cooler) tone. If it's still too dark, shampoo and rinse again. If it's too light, then you can go over it with the next darker shade. It's always safest to err on the side of too light at first, because it's easy to fix. Too dark is a lot harder, and you'll risk needing to strip out some of the color to balance it, which is very damaging.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 1:32 pm
I always do a little darker since it gets lightened by the sun.
Then again I have medium dark hair.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 2:31 pm
Can someone who does it, give the basic steps and pointers on how to do it, and mistakes to avoid?

Are the instructions on the Clairol product easy to follow?

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 2:34 pm
Yes. I dye my own wigs with Garnier Olia. I've always had very nice results.

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 2:59 pm
I used revlon colorstay or something cause I'm a redhead. I didnt use a brush. I mushed it and did it. People use vaseline and different interesting stuff.

sourstix

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 3:01 pm
I never dyed my own wigs, just telling you from what a friend told me. it is a very strong chemical and can ruin stuff around so be careful. the smell is somewhat strong. if thats an issue for you.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 3:06 pm
sourstix wrote:
I never dyed my own wigs, just telling you from what a friend told me. it is a very strong chemical and can ruin stuff around so be careful. the smell is somewhat strong. if thats an issue for you.

I dye my wig while it's on a canvas wig head clamped to the table. I cover the table with a disposable tablecloth and follow exact packaging instructions. When I rinse the dye out in the bathtub I make sure no residue remains to cause staining. And of course you need to wear the gloves that come along with it!

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 4:21 pm
How do you prevent the color from being uneven- more color settling in one area than another?

Is that the biggest problem when an inexperienced person dyes a Sheitel, or are there other mistakes to watch out for?

asmileaday

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 4:51 pm
amother wrote:
How do you prevent the color from being uneven- more color settling in one area than another?

Is that the biggest problem when an inexperienced person dyes a Sheitel, or are there other mistakes to watch out for?

Of course it's best to have your wig dyed professionally. They use better products and apply more evenly.
But if it's an old wig you don't care about too much use any one that is in mousse form. Those spread the most even.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 12:29 am
amother wrote:

We call those "highlights"!
Watch a YouTube video about dyeing. Start at the top and do one layer at a time working your way down.
Generally on a wig, the top needs more dye since it's more sun damaged. The bottom may even be the perfect color.
Make sure the part and around the face have even color. If the rest is uneven, it's not as noticeable.
Use a rat tail comb for easy parting. Get a dyeing brush to more evenly work the dye in.
I use a styrofoam head since I don't mind if it gets stained.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 10:29 am
amother wrote:
I used revlon colorstay or something cause I'm a redhead. I didnt use a brush. I mushed it and did it. People use vaseline and different interesting stuff.

Whats the vaseline for, and how is it used?

anonymous55

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 11:42 am
If the wig has a white scalp will the dye permanently stain it?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics