Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Homework with challenging child.
Previous  1  2

smilealot

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 4:45 am
imasinger wrote:
We set the timer for 3 minutes, with a point given for every 3 minutes spent on task and not complaining.

If he drifts or whines, the timer stops till he is working again, no other consequence.

Points can be spent on doing extra of things he likes, or other rewards.

Limit of 20 minutes on HW.

It took years of this before I would leave him to it on his own. And I still try to sit with him most days.

My role is to scribe if his hand gets too tired, and to be the cheerleader. "Wow, look how beautifully and quickly you wrote that sentence! Way to go!" "I love how creative that was!" "You're being so careful at checking those math problems." "Two pesukim done already? You're a superstar!" "Now you're almost done, already. Hurray!"

Good idea re 3 mins coz that amount is doable. šŸ˜Š

5*Mom

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 5:34 am
Luvme wrote:
Re having him evaluated. Yes I am trying to.
Possibly aspergers.
Already know that he has SPD and OCD and a delay in processing.
Poor kid. School is awful for him. He's constantly in trouble with the teacher.
I have suggested to her some things that I really think would be helpful eg just sending notes home if he has a good day etc but she takes no notice of my suggestions.
She gives rewards for doing hw but DS is not motivated by that.
DS gets loads of positive feedback, praise, rewards etc from me but he needs from more ppl too.
He wakes up saying I'm not interested in getting dressed coz I HATE school!
I wish I could make things easier for him.
šŸ˜§ šŸ˜“ šŸ˜§ šŸ˜Ø šŸ˜­ šŸ˜µ šŸ˜“ šŸ˜§

In that case, I really think you should back off about the homework. Your ds is dealing with so much internal stuff and you haven't figured it all out yet. He needs a calm space where he doesn't have to struggle to do something he hates. Let him just be.

5*Mom

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 5:35 am
Luvme wrote:
Good idea re 3 mins coz that amount is doable. šŸ˜Š

Just be aware that while this works for some children, other kids HATE being micromanaged like this.

imasinger

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 6:43 am
5*mom, I think part of the answer depends on whether the child has developed good skills and is just going through a hard time in the moment, or whether the child never developed the skill.

And also, how the interactions are handled.

"Micromanaging" in this case could better translate as "teaching a challenged child how to master himself and his work by breaking it down into manageable steps."

Luvme, there seems to be more and more evidence that you can add a new tool to your box to assist; spending quality, one-on-one time for 10-15 minutes each day with each child.

I just saw more studies published showing that children who get this daily are much better able to work at working times.

smilealot

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 7:40 am
imasinger wrote:
5*mom, I think part of the answer depends on whether the child has developed good skills and is just going through a hard time in the moment, or whether the child never developed the skill.

"Micromanaging" in this case could better translate as "teaching a challenged child how to master himself and his work by breaking it down into manageable steps."

Luvme, there seems to be more and more evidence that you can add a new tool to your box to assist; spending quality, one-on-one time for 10-15 minutes each day with each child.

I just saw more studies published showing that children who get this daily are much better able to work at working times.

Thanx. It's something that I do try to do daily. šŸ˜Š

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 7:41 am
Luvme wrote:
Possibly aspergers.
I have suggested to her some things that I really think would be helpful eg just sending notes home if he has a good day etc but she takes no notice of my suggestions.
DS gets loads of positive feedback, praise, rewards etc from me but he needs from more ppl too.

Could you make up a chart and the teacher just had to check off a box? One box could be homework. The problem with the notes home is that others see and also want. One note becomes a classfull for a busy teacher. Call her for her cooperation. This may make her day easier as well. Checking a box that there was a good day may work because it is parent supplied.

5*Mom

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 7:41 am
imasinger wrote:

You could call it that, but some children will still find it controlling. It very much depends on the personality of the child. Different children with similar challenges still may need different approaches. This one works well for some and is a disaster for others. I've met a few Wink. OP should just be aware of his response. A negative response doesn't necessarily mean she is doing it wrong.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 9:44 am
5*Mom wrote:
Just be aware that while this works for some children, other kids HATE being micromanaged like this.

I agree. This would have increased my child's anxiety, as well.

smilealot

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 11:35 am
Argh. So annoying. He isn't even home yet.
I just received a txt from the teacher saying that she's sending his work home that he didn't do in class!!
DS already has OT tonight for an hr!
He needs time to chill too.
Any ideas?
Should I just not do it?

seeker

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 1:17 pm
Luvme wrote:
Possibly aspergers.

OK. Lots of new info in this post. So hard when a teacher is tough on kids who need extra help. Back off on the homework, if he's getting flak at school then the TLC needs to come from you. Can you talk to the principal about officially reducing or eliminating the homework load so the teacher doesn't bully him about it? Because on your end it makes sense to eliminate homework stress, but if you do that on your own and he keeps coming to school with no homework then the teacher is liable to destroy him over that.

Being that he already has some identified diagnoses, does he have any school-based support (not sure where you live, but here it would be called SETSS or P4) that could advocate for him with the teacher? I do that for some of my students.

smilealot

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 3:14 pm
seeker wrote:
OK. Lots of new info in this post. So hard when a teacher is tough on kids who need extra help. Back off on the homework, if he's getting flak at school then the TLC needs to come from you. Can you talk to the principal about officially reducing or eliminating the homework load so the teacher doesn't bully him about it? Because on your end it makes sense to eliminate homework stress, but if you do that on your own and he keeps coming to school with no homework then the teacher is liable to destroy him over that.

Being that he already has some identified diagnoses, does he have any school-based support (not sure where you live, but here it would be called SETSS or P4) that could advocate for him with the teacher? I do that for some of my students.

The teacher has already told me to stop being a helicopter mum!! She said that at beginning of yr before she even got to know him..
He went out of class for therapy this afternoon and came back tired, kept getting into trouble after that. Sad
I've just not bothered doing the work with him.

sourstix

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 7:42 pm
This is a classic example of a teacher that has no business being a teacher. I hate it when they have no clue in chinuch and just shove everyone with their inexperience and ridiculous things they say. This teacher is absolutely bad. I would try to speak with her once more and then speak with the principle. You need to speak up for your child. Maybe your ds needs an evaluation to see what his problem is.

A focusing problem can be ADHD. Was your son given any full assessment?

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 7:48 pm
Luvme wrote:
Argh. So annoying. He isn't even home yet.
I just received a txt from the teacher saying that she's sending his work home that he didn't do in class!!
DS already has OT tonight for an hr!
He needs time to chill too.
Any ideas?
Should I just not do it?

text her back and inform her that he will not be doing it. if she wants him to complete work in class, she should adjust the amount he gives them. from now on, your homework policy involves him working for x amount of time per night. She is to excuse anything incomplete as long as some of the homework is done. don't ask nicely, tell her.

Post Mon, Jan 16 2017, 10:15 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
text her back and inform her that he will not be doing it. if she wants him to complete work in class, she should adjust the amount he gives them. from now on, your homework policy involves him working for x amount of time per night. She is to excuse anything incomplete as long as some of the homework is done. don't ask nicely, tell her.

This approach is counterproductive for the child. He is already not working in class. To alienate his teacher further is to reduce any progress he could make. The teacher is already not taking kindly to being told what to do. She seems the type who would work better with some tact.

A chart the teacher fills in to gain some positive feedback is stop gap while he is evaluated. The district has 60 days, in N.Y. once they receive a written request. Include all issues including the processing issue.

It doesn't matter if his teacher should be teaching because she is his teacher; a common ground must be found.

smilealot

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 2:36 am
Squishy wrote:
This approach is counterproductive for the child. He is already not working in class. To alienate his teacher further is to reduce any progress he could make. The teacher is already not taking kindly to being told what to do. She seems the type who would work better with some tact.

A chart the teacher fills in to gain some positive feedback is stop gap while he is evaluated. The district has 60 days, in N.Y. once they receive a written request. Include all issues including the processing issue.

It doesn't matter if his teacher should be teaching because she is his teacher; a common ground must be found.

I don't understand the last 2 paragraphs.
Can u explain in simpler terms.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 2:42 pm
Sounds like me as a kid. I had ADHD, OCD, anxiety and sensory issues. I was a mess and school was super hard for me, even though I was extremely intelligent. My first grade teacher was totally unsympathetic and I had no formal diagnosis so the school wasn't interested in helping me. I suffered tremendously for years. And relevant to your question, homework was a nightmare. So I have some personal suggestions for you, if they come out a bit forcefully, it's not against you, it sounds like you are a great mother working really hard to help your child. I just feel very strongly about this and there is always something more you can do.

First of all, please take him for counseling with an experienced child psychologist. I was miserable at school, cried before school all the time, hated it, had trouble with homework, etc. Due to all of this, I developed depression at 6-7 years old. Depression looks different in kids than adults, you may not even recognize it. There is an emotional component hear as well, and therapy is really helpful. Take him before things get even worse (because for him, they already are worse and he is suffering a lot).

Secondly, please get him a professional evaluation for ADD or ASD or whatever the problem may (or may not be). Push this as hard as you can. I wasn't diagnosed until right before 2nd grade, and that was already too late, as I already hated school and had lost the will to make it work. I never got over that hatred of school, even when I was able to do well. A diagnosis will get services, and will also allow the teacher and school to help better, or at least possible be more understanding. If you have one in 6 months from now, call every 2-3 days to see if there are cancellations. It is really worth it and saves so much unnecessary hardship for your son, for you, and for his teachers.

Thirdly, if the teacher won't work with you, go to the principal, go to the school guidance counselor, go to the board. Find someone in that building who will help you. Switch your kid to a different class if needed. Switch your kid to a different school if you have to. In the meantime, gather any and all things you think the teacher could easily do to help and present it to her. Don't leave her alone about it - if she doesn't like one set of ideas, try another. My first grade teacher ruined my childhood - I was punished each time I couldn't finish my homework, and it broke me. At the very least, even if absolutely nothing helps, your child will see that you are sticking up for them, and this makes a big difference too. But I don't believe there is absolutely nothing that can be done - there is always something.

Fourthly, you (and yoru son's father, if relevant) should go to a parenting class by a professional in the field geared towards parents of kids with these kinds of issues. Not because yo uare bad parents (you sound like a great mom), but because kids like this need different types of discipline and motivation, and most parents just don't have the skills or tools to help children like this. A professional can give you tools you wouldn't dream of, and this will make a big difference in yoru ability to not suffer in situations like this, and how to help yoru child not suffer in situations like (and in many other situations of course).

Fifthly, the homework:
- My mother said that every night, I had to do homework for 1 hour, from 4:30 pm to 5:30 pm (this gave me about a half hour to unwind from school before doing homework, and also gave me time to eat and unwind before bed. The unwinding after school was crucial, as was the unwinding after). The one hour rule was helpful for both of us, because both my mother and I knew that the 'torture' was time-limited. And if I didn't finish, I could decide whether to keep working or not, so it was up to me. Make sure the teacher knows this is the plan, and won't punish him for not finishing his homework. My teacher punished me one year, and it was awful. If you think an hour is too much, start with 20-30 minutes and work up slowly. (A teacher once told me that you should ask the teacher how long they expect each homework item to take or how long they expect the whole set of homework to take, and then strike an agreement with them that your son will do homework for that length of time and no more.)
- Also, I could do whatever homework I wanted during that one hour. I chose, not her, so I didn't feel micromanaged. If I just did only math homework one night, so be it. The goal isn't to make sure that every piece of homework is done or even looked at, but rather to teach your child the skills he lacks to actually do any homework. If he learns to do the work, he can always fill in the missing math or science or history later, because he will know how to do so.
- Each time he stays at the table for that hour (or whatever length of time you choose), he can get a star and then give him a prize for a whole week of homework stars. He just needs to be at the table, it's important to let him stand if needs, some kids can't handle the sitting while working, but standing at the table works. Mark off the area on the floor with rulers if needs a visual to show him what's considered next to the table.
- During the one hour of homework, my mother would be with me the whole time - tell your son that you will sit with him the entire time - if he is working by himself, you will sit anyway (read a book or something), and whenever he needs help, you will help him - knowing there is a constant presence is calming, he won't feel like he has to fight with you to get your attention during what is hard for him - you will be with him regardless. Some kids are having such a hard time that they fight with their parents because it's better than doing homework and also gets them attention. Help him link doing homework with your presence.
- During this time, my mother gave me something to snack on (healthy, usually veggies to dip in salad dressing) - this helped me concentrate better because the sensory experience of dipping and chewing something crunchy made it easier to concentrate, plus I wasn't trying to work on a stomach that was too full or too empty (even in college I still ate vegetables while studying). Don't force this, if it's distracting for him to eat and work at the same time, then make sure you give him a snack before he starts so that he won't be distracted by hunger (sometimes they are and don't realize it).
- Also, have an array of small toys for him to finger while studying - silly putty is great because it's so sensory, as is anything that he can squeeze or manipulate without having to look at it - this allows him to engage his other senses while doing the homework, which should help him concentrate. Nothing distracting though, and if you see this is backfiring, then you should try something else - like let him rip tissues if that helps (it used to help me), It's messy, but it's not a big price to pay for him actually doing his homework. Or try having fabrics / material squares of different textures for him to finger - these might be less distracting than putty or other toys. Engaging my senses was critical to me being able to concentrate due to my sensory issues.
- Also, make sure that there are built in breaks. Every 10-20 minutes should be a break (pick one and be consistent). Have a clock nearby, and tell him each time the last number is zero, he gets a break (don't set a timer as the moving numbers are distracting, and if he is finally in the 'zone' of work, a buzzing timer will throw him off). During the break, have him stand up, jump or dance around, but he has to stay near the table (have him run around it if he wants). You do the break with him - if gets up and jumps around, you also get up and shake out your hands and legs; this will make him feel like he can interact with you during this hour. This helps break up the hour, allows him to release the energy that gets pent up while he's working, and also allows him to refocus at the times when his attention would naturally be wandering. Start with 10 minute breaks, and slowly work your way up later, to allow him to slowly build up his attention span. Also, if he's in the zone and really focused, he doesn't have to take a break - it's always optional for him, as if he's working well, it's better to let him continue.
- Most importantly, sit down and explain there will be a new homework system and tell him the details. Let him have input and feedback and work with him (e.g. give him the option of starting with 10 minute breaks r 15 minute breaks), so he feels like he has some control. If he expects things to be different, he will respond better.

Good luck.

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 2:54 pm
Luvme wrote:
I don't understand the last 2 paragraphs.
Can u explain in simpler terms.

By law, the school district must evaluate your son within 60 days of receiving a request. Write a letter requesting the evaluation. Include the processing issue.

You will get more flies with honey. In this case , we want your son to make progress. A teacher who feels the mom is too difficult may give up and not support progress to the fullest extent. Your son is not doing his work in school. To TELL the teacher to give less work in class is not the solution and benefits no one.

You need a solution while the evaluations are taking place. The solution should be arrived at on the spirit of cooperation between the home and the school for benefit of your son.

smilealot

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 3:39 pm
amother wrote:
Sounds like me as a kid. I had ADHD, OCD, anxiety and sensory issues. I was a mess and school was super hard for me, even though I was extremely intelligent. My first grade teacher was totally unsympathetic and I had no formal diagnosis so the school wasn't interested in helping me. I suffered tremendously for years. And relevant to your question, homework was a nightmare. So I have some personal suggestions for you, if they come out a bit forcefully, it's not against you, it sounds like you are a great mother working really hard to help your child. I just feel very strongly about this and there is always something more you can do.

First of all, please take him for counseling with an experienced child psychologist. I was miserable at school, cried before school all the time, hated it, had trouble with homework, etc. Due to all of this, I developed depression at 6-7 years old. Depression looks different in kids than adults, you may not even recognize it. There is an emotional component hear as well, and therapy is really helpful. Take him before things get even worse (because for him, they already are worse and he is suffering a lot).

Secondly, please get him a professional evaluation for ADD or ASD or whatever the problem may (or may not be). Push this as hard as you can. I wasn't diagnosed until right before 2nd grade, and that was already too late, as I already hated school and had lost the will to make it work. I never got over that hatred of school, even when I was able to do well. A diagnosis will get services, and will also allow the teacher and school to help better, or at least possible be more understanding. If you have one in 6 months from now, call every 2-3 days to see if there are cancellations. It is really worth it and saves so much unnecessary hardship for your son, for you, and for his teachers.

Thirdly, if the teacher won't work with you, go to the principal, go to the school guidance counselor, go to the board. Find someone in that building who will help you. Switch your kid to a different class if needed. Switch your kid to a different school if you have to. In the meantime, gather any and all things you think the teacher could easily do to help and present it to her. Don't leave her alone about it - if she doesn't like one set of ideas, try another. My first grade teacher ruined my childhood - I was punished each time I couldn't finish my homework, and it broke me. At the very least, even if absolutely nothing helps, your child will see that you are sticking up for them, and this makes a big difference too. But I don't believe there is absolutely nothing that can be done - there is always something.

Fourthly, you (and yoru son's father, if relevant) should go to a parenting class by a professional in the field geared towards parents of kids with these kinds of issues. Not because yo uare bad parents (you sound like a great mom), but because kids like this need different types of discipline and motivation, and most parents just don't have the skills or tools to help children like this. A professional can give you tools you wouldn't dream of, and this will make a big difference in yoru ability to not suffer in situations like this, and how to help yoru child not suffer in situations like (and in many other situations of course).

Fifthly, the homework:
- My mother said that every night, I had to do homework for 1 hour, from 4:30 pm to 5:30 pm (this gave me about a half hour to unwind from school before doing homework, and also gave me time to eat and unwind before bed. The unwinding after school was crucial, as was the unwinding after). The one hour rule was helpful for both of us, because both my mother and I knew that the 'torture' was time-limited. And if I didn't finish, I could decide whether to keep working or not, so it was up to me. Make sure the teacher knows this is the plan, and won't punish him for not finishing his homework. My teacher punished me one year, and it was awful. If you think an hour is too much, start with 20-30 minutes and work up slowly. (A teacher once told me that you should ask the teacher how long they expect each homework item to take or how long they expect the whole set of homework to take, and then strike an agreement with them that your son will do homework for that length of time and no more.)
- Also, I could do whatever homework I wanted during that one hour. I chose, not her, so I didn't feel micromanaged. If I just did only math homework one night, so be it. The goal isn't to make sure that every piece of homework is done or even looked at, but rather to teach your child the skills he lacks to actually do any homework. If he learns to do the work, he can always fill in the missing math or science or history later, because he will know how to do so.
- Each time he stays at the table for that hour (or whatever length of time you choose), he can get a star and then give him a prize for a whole week of homework stars. He just needs to be at the table, it's important to let him stand if needs, some kids can't handle the sitting while working, but standing at the table works. Mark off the area on the floor with rulers if needs a visual to show him what's considered next to the table.
- During the one hour of homework, my mother would be with me the whole time - tell your son that you will sit with him the entire time - if he is working by himself, you will sit anyway (read a book or something), and whenever he needs help, you will help him - knowing there is a constant presence is calming, he won't feel like he has to fight with you to get your attention during what is hard for him - you will be with him regardless. Some kids are having such a hard time that they fight with their parents because it's better than doing homework and also gets them attention. Help him link doing homework with your presence.
- During this time, my mother gave me something to snack on (healthy, usually veggies to dip in salad dressing) - this helped me concentrate better because the sensory experience of dipping and chewing something crunchy made it easier to concentrate, plus I wasn't trying to work on a stomach that was too full or too empty (even in college I still ate vegetables while studying). Don't force this, if it's distracting for him to eat and work at the same time, then make sure you give him a snack before he starts so that he won't be distracted by hunger (sometimes they are and don't realize it).
- Also, have an array of small toys for him to finger while studying - silly putty is great because it's so sensory, as is anything that he can squeeze or manipulate without having to look at it - this allows him to engage his other senses while doing the homework, which should help him concentrate. Nothing distracting though, and if you see this is backfiring, then you should try something else - like let him rip tissues if that helps (it used to help me), It's messy, but it's not a big price to pay for him actually doing his homework. Or try having fabrics / material squares of different textures for him to finger - these might be less distracting than putty or other toys. Engaging my senses was critical to me being able to concentrate due to my sensory issues.
- Also, make sure that there are built in breaks. Every 10-20 minutes should be a break (pick one and be consistent). Have a clock nearby, and tell him each time the last number is zero, he gets a break (don't set a timer as the moving numbers are distracting, and if he is finally in the 'zone' of work, a buzzing timer will throw him off). During the break, have him stand up, jump or dance around, but he has to stay near the table (have him run around it if he wants). You do the break with him - if gets up and jumps around, you also get up and shake out your hands and legs; this will make him feel like he can interact with you during this hour. This helps break up the hour, allows him to release the energy that gets pent up while he's working, and also allows him to refocus at the times when his attention would naturally be wandering. Start with 10 minute breaks, and slowly work your way up later, to allow him to slowly build up his attention span. Also, if he's in the zone and really focused, he doesn't have to take a break - it's always optional for him, as if he's working well, it's better to let him continue.
- Most importantly, sit down and explain there will be a new homework system and tell him the details. Let him have input and feedback and work with him (e.g. give him the option of starting with 10 minute breaks r 15 minute breaks), so he feels like he has some control. If he expects things to be different, he will respond better.

Good luck.

Wow. Thanx so much for all this advise.
Yes he does sound like u were.
A lot of the things that u suggested are things that I do have in place already but u did put loads of good ideas. Thank u. I plan on putting lots to practice iyh.
Today DS did his hw really well. šŸ‘šŸ‘
I put on a timer and I sat next to him colouring. He got a prize afterwards and food before. Bh bh bh was good today. Really hope tomorrow will be good too. Smile

Senco spoke to teacher on my behalf and I spoke to principal too.

If I get teacher to understand and get her on the right side then she's a very good teacher. Hopefully she'll listen to principal. Smile

smilealot

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 3:41 pm
Squishy wrote:
By law, the school district must evaluate your son within 60 days of receiving a request. Write a letter requesting the evaluation. Include the processing issue.

You will get more flies with honey. In this case , we want your son to make progress. A teacher who feels the mom is too difficult may give up and not support progress to the fullest extent. Your son is not doing his work in school. To TELL the teacher to give less work in class is not the solution and benefits no one.

You need a solution while the evaluations are taking place. The solution should be arrived at on the spirit of cooperation between the home and the school for benefit of your son.

Got evaluation in a few weeks.
Shame we live in England. Sounds like America is much more forward. šŸ˜Š

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 4:21 pm
Wow, rose amother, what a great post! Thank you for sharing your background and all that information.

My DD had a lot of problems, and I ended up having to put her in public school (in the US). Once she got an evaluation, an IEP, and some one on one help, she did so much better.

She's in a mainstream dati school now that we're in Israel, but she's failing again. Next year I hope to move her to a school with smaller classes and more one on one.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)