Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
I am aware that this is going to sound very weird

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 6:21 pm
I grew up with a lot of sfardis, that is the only explanation I can think of for this: it has taken a lifetime for me to come to terms with the fact that I am as pale as it gets, cool toned, and look good in silver and pastels. In high school I always wore foundation in darker colors, being sure to cover my ears, back of neck, and hairline. I stopped sun tanning when I realized all I got was peeling red skin and (probably) skin damage. As I got older I toned down the fake foundation, but still used a lot of bronzers and warm toned eye shadows. When I got married I bought a red/warm toned shaitle (I am very ashy blonde/light brown, which I always thought looked like dishwater). That plus the bronzer made me a believable warm toned gal. But then I started wearing tichels. And my hair didn't cover the back of my neck. I had to get a real match. And my real skin color is so light that many brands don't even carry a shade that light! I slowly started buying pastels and realizing I looked good in them. It was so disappointing. I look at my veins and try to convince myself I am neutral, but I really don't think I am. I just love gold and olive and maroon. Jewel tones and coppers and gold highlighter. I also had a think that I didn't want to "fade into the background" being light and pastel. (this may have to do with growing up being the "weakest link" in a very strong/loud family) I wanted to be vibrant, strong, and golden. Also, who wants to be grey-ish? Ew. But I look good in grey! Grey is prison like, boxy, boring, nothing to write home about. I tried contouring with grey toned instead of warm toned bronzer, and I look so much more...natural. I am so ridiculously upset about this for the dumb topic this is. I am not interested in being a pale princess, I want to be a golden goddess.

Yes, I have plenty of other things to worry about, this is a trivial, stupid rant. The end.

sequoia

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 6:39 pm
Heh. I could have written that.

I embrace the pinks and greys and whites, and heave a sigh for the all the elegant black clothes I can't wear because they make me look like homeless Siberian Dracula with consumption.

Lots of understanding and hugs to you!

trixx

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 7:01 pm
do you know anything about color palettes? it's soft science, but the theory is that you look best in colors suited to your skin/hair/eye tones and undertones. meaning the most attractive, confident looking and presentable version of yourself is when you are wearing complementary colors
I know someone who is fair-skinned (practically pink) and such light-gold hair. all she wears is white, pale pink, gray and the softest pastel mint. and she always looks amaaaazing.

btw bobbi brown carries a good range of lighter skin tones.

that said, you can mourn the loss of your perceived reality. it sounds like it could be more of an identity shift than a wardrobe one. either one is valid.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 10:23 am
And some of us can't wear pastels or light colors when it comes to hats or other head coverings;-)

Trixx said:that said, you can mourn the loss of your perceived reality. it sounds like it could be more of an identity shift than a wardrobe one. either one is valid. That sounds good to me. You are entitled to your feelings. I hope you can find a palette, wardrobe, etc. that you enjoy.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 10:42 am
OP, are you my daughter? She's adopted, and is 100% Irish on her mom's side, and English and Welsh on her dad's side. You just don't get whiter than that! Pure white skin, blue eyes, and ash blonde hair. The Israelis here are absolutely fascinated with her, and the kids in her class treat her like she's some sort of exotic creature. She looks amazing in yellow and blue and silver.

It's best not to fight nature, but there's nothing wrong with learning ways to work around it.

I've found that it's important to match your skin tone around your face, making sure that your blouse and tichel are complimentary, but from the waist down you can wear whatever color you want! Skirts, shoes, belts, and handbags are great ways to get more color into your wardrobe.

For foundation, try http://www.shiseido.com/makeup......html . It's made for Asian people with cool undertones, and it's very flattering. If you have a Shiseido make up counter near you (try Nordstroms) you can ask for a consultation. Kat Von D has very good makeup shades for pale skin, too. The tattoo concealer works wonders on redness or zits.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 11:27 am
You are what you are. Pale is beautiful. I grew up around Mizrachim and never felt the need to change what G-d made me.

Fox

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 12:15 pm
Understand completely! When you think of aspirational appearance images -- models, actresses, etc. -- paleness is typically associated with fragile vulnerability. Olive-toned skin is connected with a much more complex range of images.

My only practical advice is the Wayne Goss makeup videos on YouTube. He uses himself as a model, which is a little odd at first, but he has pale skin with reddish overtones, and I've learned a ton by watching his techniques. In fact, whenever I need a particular product, I've gotten to the point where I just buy whatever he recommends in the colors he suggests.

This is completely off-topic, but if you like watching fun, over-the-top makeup videos, try Fumi Desalu-Vold on YouTube. She's a Nigerian model married to a Norwegian, and she's hilarious. What totally amazes me, though, is seeing how different she looks without make-up. Gives hope to us all!

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Jan 18 2017, 12:19 pm
thanks fox, I do watch wayne goss! I also watch taayla who is very pale. What confuses me is that I have freckles that are warm brown. So when I fill in my eyebrows less ashy and let my freckles show through my foundation, I am not that extremely cool toned. I think my face clashes. shock
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics