Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Do I need to ask a shaila?

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 4:09 am
Obviously I will if I have to but I'd rather avoid it.

I went bra shopping today to replace my very worn out nursing bras now that it's been over a month since I weaned. I had no idea what size I was so I went to an actual store and got fitted properly.

I need very supportive bras and they are not cheap. I usually buy 3 and rotate them often as I can't justify spending more than $150 on undergarments at a time. Yes, my bras cost $50 apiece.

The store only had 2 bras in my size and preferred color in stock so I bought those and ordered 1 more. Later I wondered if now that I know exactly what make, model, and size I need if I would be able to find it cheaper online. The brand website was also selling the same bra for $50 but I found it on sale elsewhere.

Now I'm wondering if I can cancel my order at the store or if that would be a problem halachically? I used the services of the store but I also bought their product. It's not like I used them to fit me and wrote down the model number to buy all 3 bras elsewhere.

As you may imagine I would prefer not to have to ask my rav a shaila about bra purchasing. I can't figure out how to ask the question without going into details.

Do any of you have an idea what issues there could be and if this is really a problem or I'm just overthinking?

salt

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 4:18 am
First of all, why can't you cancel the order? You won't pay, they won't deliver. What's wrong with cancelling a 3rd item, cos you found it cheaper elsewhere? I don't see the halachic issue here. You decided you want to buy 2 instead of 3 from them, that's all.

Secondly, if you want to ask a rav, just say it's an item. You don't need to explain why you need $50 bras, why would he need to know that anyway?

"Hello Rav x. I wanted to know if this is ok. I bought 2 items in a shop. I wanted three, but they didn't have 3 in the colour I preferred, so I ordered it from them. In the meantime, I found the same thing online for cheaper. Is it halachically ok to cancel my order from the shop?"

devash1

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 4:19 am
I don't know the answer to this question but if you do ask I don't think you need to tell him it was a bra. I would tell him it was an item of clothing. I can't imagine that if it's a bra or a dress it would make a difference.

MitzadSheini

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 4:27 am
It's very easy to spend someone else's money, and I ain't no Rav, but-

I would say, you've already ordered it, don't cancel the order. How much can you save, $30? (not that the amount makes any difference halachically, but you might feel better knowing that you aren't losing that much money.)

I can't really explain why, it just feels not right.

Hashem never leaves a debt unpaid.

salt

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 4:33 am
MitzadSheini wrote:
It's very easy to spend someone else's money, and I ain't no Rav, but-

I would say, you've already ordered it, don't cancel the order. How much can you save, $30? (not that the amount makes any difference halachically, but you might feel better knowing that you aren't losing that much money.)

I can't really explain why, it just feels not right.

Hashem never leaves a debt unpaid.

I think it wouldn't feel right if it's a private person selling items from their house, even though halachilcally it might still be ok, as long as they hadn't started working on the item.
But from a department store? What's the big deal? If they allow the cancellation, it must be ok.

MitzadSheini

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 4:40 am
Yeah salt I know what you mean. But I just don't like it. If everyone did it there would be no department stores left. I'm sure it would depend which Rav you ask. I didn't say a halacha, I said what I felt.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 5:04 am
I totally don't agree that it's a problem. Stores know that this kind of thing happens. I remember learning that you are allowed to window shop even if you know (or think you know) that you won't buy anything. They are offering their services with the complete knowledge that not everyone using them willl then decide to buy from the store. Especially if it's a big department store. There is competition out there which is totally normal. If you are truly concerned you can always try contacting the store and tell them you found the item cheaper elsewhere and what can they do for you.

essie14

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 5:19 am
salt wrote:
First of all, why can't you cancel the order? You won't pay, they won't deliver. What's wrong with cancelling a 3rd item, cos you found it cheaper elsewhere? I don't see the halachic issue here. You decided you want to buy 2 instead of 3 from them, that's all.

Secondly, if you want to ask a rav, just say it's an item. You don't need to explain why you need $50 bras, why would he need to know that anyway?

"Hello Rav x. I wanted to know if this is ok. I bought 2 items in a shop. I wanted three, but they didn't have 3 in the colour I preferred, so I ordered it from them. In the meantime, I found the same thing online for cheaper. Is it halachically ok to cancel my order from the shop?"

This is exactly what I was going to say.

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 6:47 am
Why not just tell the store you found it cheaper elsewhere. They may match the price.

simcha2

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 6:50 am
amother wrote:
I totally don't agree that it's a problem. Stores know that this kind of thing happens. I remember learning that you are allowed to window shop even if you know (or think you know) that you won't buy anything. They are offering their services with the complete knowledge that not everyone using them willl then decide to buy from the store. Especially if it's a big department store. There is competition out there which is totally normal. If you are truly concerned you can always try contacting the store and tell them you found the item cheaper elsewhere and what can they do for you.

It's funny, I remember learning davka the opposite. That you can't enter a store if you know that you won't buy anything as it gets the shopkeeper's hopes up.

I don't remember the source, or if this applies to a large corporate owned store. But definitely to a small individually owned place.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 7:50 am
OP here.

It was a small lingerie store not a department store. Does that make a difference?

cnc

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 8:16 am
simcha2 wrote:
It's funny, I remember learning davka the opposite. That you can't enter a store if you know that you won't buy anything as it gets the shopkeeper's hopes up.

I don't remember the source, or if this applies to a large corporate owned store. But definitely to a small individually owned place.

I learned this as well.

myym

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 10:43 am
So there's halacha and then sensitivity. If you call the store and ask if you are allowed to cancel the order and they say yes, then I would think that halachikly it is fine. Is it nice? It is what it is. business.
I don't think there is any need for a shaila. Its not like they fitted you and you bought nothing. You already bought 2 from them.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 10:48 am
I would not hesitate to cancel. Are you kidding? You never return items or cancel orders? Would you feel better if it came and you returned it in person? Reason: found cheaper. No problem

TentPitcher2000

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 6:40 pm
If the store policy allows you to cancel an order, there is definitely not a halachic issue with it.

kb

Post Tue, Jan 17 2017, 7:02 pm
amother wrote:
OP here.

It was a small lingerie store not a department store. Does that make a difference?

I assume that they're going ti replenish their stock regardless. I would probably call and ask if they were going to order it anyway. If it's a special order for you, take it. If not, tell them you found it cheaper elsewhere.

(Want to say though, that assuming the store fits you properly, lets you try on etc, they do have a right to charge more than an online retailer...)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions